(VIDEO) R. Galindo 96 Nationals Programs

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
attyfan said:
Thank you for posting this.
I will have the LP program up shortly. Rudy is such a joy to watch.

Dee

Kasey

Medalist
Rudy's LP from 96 nationals is, IMO, the best "moment" in my figure skating watching experience. Pure magic.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rudy's free skate at 1996 Nationals was amazing! :bow: I was thrilled for him, even though he beat out my dear Todd (and Rudy definitely deserved this win, hands down). He also was very good at 1996 Worlds, and he proved that his win at Nationals was no fluke. :clap:

One of the most amazing performances in U.S. Nationals history. Thanks for the post, Dee.

Undoubtedly, the BEST SWAN LAKE EVER., and he didn't have to become a bird.

Where would you think he would have placed in the recent Olys with that skate?

Joe

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joesitz said:
Undoubtedly, the BEST SWAN LAKE EVER., and he didn't have to become a bird. Joe
Joe, I agree Rudy's Swan Lake has got to be one of the best if not the best. I know that other skaters have done and still do the Rudy spin but noone can do it like Rudy. Even my Alexei has done it but no where near the perfection that Rudy does it.
Joesitz said:
Where would you think he would have placed in the recent Olys with that skate?
To be honest Joe, IMHO he would be in first place.

I'm glad you enjoyed watching it. It makes it worth all the hard work of putting it on the net. It takes almost a whole evening to do it but I got a lot of help from Red Dog before I tried. He gets the "Good Dog Award" for today only. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joe, I have a video of Sonja. They did a PBS program of her one Sunday afternoon so I will try and upload some of that -------just for you!!!

Dee

Dee4707 said:
Joe, I have a video of Sonja. They did a PBS program of her one Sunday afternoon so I will try and upload some of that -------just for you!!!
Dee
Thanks Dee. Just remember that the Hitler salute was at the insistance of the Host country for all athletes. Belita was furious, but she also did the salute. All the figure skaters did.

Joe

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Dee, you rock.

Thank you so much... I forget just how good Rudy was that night...and how cool this sport can be when we simply let the skaters do their thing without shady judging, politics and whatnot.

76olympics

On the Ice
That was a heartwarming performance! Probably, my favorite moment is when Rudy waves to one of his sister's students in the audience during the program! He was literally so prepared and in the zone that the usual tensions were just non-existent.

alhuncc

Rinkside
Thank you so much, Dee, for these two programs. I got to them a little late, but am very grateful.

I guess what always amazed me most about Rudy's long program is that I can think of so few people who, when given an opportunity to do so, could actually deliver the consummate best performance of their lives. In Rudy's case, it happened to be in the ideal place, his home town, and at the perfect time for him. It ultimately gained him entrance into a successful professional career that has provided him and his family a life they might never have had. I can't even imagine the pressure...

I loved the short program almost as much as the long.

Amanda

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Amanda, I am happy you enjoyed them. Both of his programs are two of the best skates I love to watch, over and over. His reaction to his long program marks touches me so much.

Dee

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the clips, Dee! Excellent quality... It was such a pleasure to watch them, but would have felt much more pleasure if there would not have been that awful blabbering by the commentators through the performances, huh!!!

I don´t know how these programmes would fare in CoP system today, but e.g. in Swan Lake choreography there was plenty of enjoyable details in hand moves, but it all looked rather simple, exquisite but simple. Rudy also looks very slow on the ice, the footwork and transitions? Besides I never have liked to watch as skaters come out of choreography by either doing selfcongratulations or waving to somebody in the audience in the middle of a performance. It reveals how little a skater is into the programme and that should be marked accordingly, in my opinion.

Anyway, they were great performances from Rudy and I was glad that he won the US title and was 3rd at Worlds!!!

Personally I like Weir´s Swan Lake (a sp) a lot more. And Urmanov did a really great Swan Lake freeskate at 1995 Europeans, great command and what a speed....

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dee, Thanks so much for Rudi's SP from Nationals! I have been looking for that video for some time and was so glad to find it.