View Poll Results: Which 2006 World Champs would you like to see repeat in 2007?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Denkova and Stavisky

38 33.93%
  • Pang and Tong

14 12.50%
  • Kimmie Meisner

39 34.82%
  • Stephane Lambiel

44 39.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Champions whom you would like to defend their title.

Shoe Diva
    After a decade of rooting for specific people in specific dicplines, I've decided that I will use the 2007 season as one of observation. I hope none of the above repeat and that we begin the next olympic cycle with fresh & shiny faces.

If someone from '06 repeats, then good for them. However, I think I'd perfer four or five skaters / teams really duking it out, no true favorites outside of personal favorites and growth of the sport.

In other words: I'm indifferent and not emotionally attached to anyone. Quite unusual for me, but the only way I'll stick with the sport as an obsessive fan. Let the games begin...

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    Because that's who you voted for. Denkova & Staviysky are the only ones in italics on my screen.
    Ah, thank you. That is the first time I noticed I guess.

Custom Title
    If Lambiel doesn't repeat, then I'd love for Klimkin to win with some voidy programs. I wouldn't mind Oda or Takahashi in the mix somewhere though.

Move over Kimmie! I want Fumie to win in her home country. (Crossing my toes and fingers...)

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear
    Move over Kimmie! I want Fumie to win in her home country. (Crossing my toes and fingers...)
    Is Fumie competiting next year? Why is she exempt from "she's too old & should retire!" conversations? I was under the impression that the old guard (who Fumie is definately a member of...) were not supposed to be contenders next year? Don't get me wrong, I'm actuall excited about the prospect of seeing her compete, but I'm obviously working on old information and am wondering about the real scene for next year vs. fan-chat

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear
    If Lambiel doesn't repeat, then I'd love for Klimkin to win with some voidy programs. I wouldn't mind Oda or Takahashi in the mix somewhere though.

I would also like to see this but thought that it was "defend their title" meaning that it was back to back wins. Plus there is no "Other" to select.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    Is Fumie competiting next year? Why is she exempt from "she's too old & should retire!" conversations? I was under the impression that the old guard (who Fumie is definately a member of...) were not supposed to be contenders next year?
    You might be justified IYO in saying so, but still I And that is precisely what many average and non fans of FSkating thought about MK 2 years ago. "She's too old, she shouldn't be in there, blaa blaa..." -Did I sound like an old codger?- "They should let the little girls have a chance." I say, MOM , if she is good enough, she skates!

I also have not heard that she is out of the race either, I hope not. Yet to see her in a COI again or something would be a lovely prospect as well. Where is the fainting emoticon????? That I could afford!
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 06-21-2006 at 12:17 PM.

I think Fumie has already announced that she will compete the full season next year.

IMHO the reason that she is exempt from the "why doesn't the old hag retire, already" talk is ...

Some people like Sasha, some can't stand her. Some folks love them some Irina, others think she's a nasty bit of goods. Some figure skating fans think Michelle is a sacred cow, others, that she's just a cow.

But nobody doesn't like Fu-mi-e! ♫♪
    (Sung to the tune of "Nobody doesn't like Sarah Lee.")

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman

IMHO the reason that she is exempt from the "why doesn't the old hag retire, already" talk is ...

Some people like Sasha, some can't stand her. Some folks love them some Irina, others think she's a nasty bit of goods. Some figure skating fans think Michelle is a sacred cow, others, that she's just a cow.

But nobody doesn't like Fu-mi-e! ♫♪
    (Sung to the tune of "Nobody doesn't like Sarah Lee.")
    This is a good point; HOWEVER, one of the reasons that "nobody doesn't like Fu-mi-e" [ ] is that in some ways, she's been mostly a supporting player to Sasha, Irina, and Michelle. Had she a World championship or two under her belt, I wonder if she too would provoke a few virulent anti-Suguri opinions. You know what they say, "Build 'em up, tear 'em down"....... I don't think any dislike of Kwan or Slutskaya started until after they'd gotten up there and been there a while.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    This is a good point; HOWEVER, one of the reasons that "nobody doesn't like Fu-mi-e" [ ] is that in some ways, she's been mostly a supporting player to Sasha, Irina, and Michelle. Had she a World championship or two under her belt, I wonder if she too would provoke a few virulent anti-Suguri opinions. You know what they say, "Build 'em up, tear 'em down"....... I don't think any dislike of Kwan or Slutskaya started until after they'd gotten up there and been there a while.
    What is not to like?
    Has more Four Continents titles than any other woman, first Japanese woman to win the Grand Prix and more world medals than any other Japanese figure skater.

And she is this "humble-beautiful-balanced-charismatic-unselfish, etc..."

I really doubt anyone would ever knock her down other than to say she might not be the best at any one thing. But that would just be an opinion, IMO her Jumps / landings, Drama / musical interpretation (true to the tune), and some of her positions are more beautiful than anyone else's. JMO and highly debatable, but Jonny is right, even one of the most perfect women in the world could become a "target " for negativity.

I think Fumie has already announced that she will compete the full season next year.
    That's what I think too, now I will have to go find out for myself:boohoo: SeaniBu.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu
    You might be justified IYO in saying so, but still I And that is precisely what many average and non fans of FSkating thought about MK 2 years ago. "She's too old, she shouldn't be in there, blaa blaa..." -Did I sound like an old codger?- "They should let the little girls have a chance." I say, MOM , if she is good enough, she skates!

I also have not heard that she is out of the race either, I hope not. Yet to see her in a COI again or something would be a lovely prospect as well. Where is the fainting emoticon????? That I could afford!
    Very cool that she'll be around next year. I've been a fan of hers forever & MM is right, everybody loves Fumie. More importantly, I am a firm believer in two things...

1. You should compete until you don't want to or can't any longer ~ and the "older" the better... (I have no desire to watch these children figure out what to do with their hands next season...)

2. Skating fans are fickle. (hence my she's old comment ~ it was a joke that fell flat... so right back atcha)

Shoe Diva
    Some figure skating fans think Michelle is a sacred cow, others, that she's just a cow.
    Michelle is "moo"varlous! Please oh please come back healthy and strong Michelle...

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife

2. Skating fans are fickle. (hence my she's old comment ~ it was a joke that fell flat... so right back atcha)
    Right On! I guess mine fell flat too.

Shoe Diva
    Right On! I guess mine fell flat too.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    What is not to like?

I really doubt anyone would ever knock her down other than to say she might not be the best at any one thing. But that would just be an opinion, IMO her Jumps / landings, Drama / musical interpretation (true to the tune), and some of her positions are more beautiful than anyone else's. JMO and highly debatable, but Jonny is right, even one of the most perfect women in the world could become a "target " for negativity.

See, personally, I think the "What's not to like?" statement could also be made about Michelle, but as Mathman said, some think she's "just a cow", so apparently no-one, under certain conditions, is above snide reproach.

ITA about Fumie's sense of musical interpretation. When she is ON (and I think even her biggest fans will agree that she does tend sometimes toward being a bit erratic in the consistent performance department, tho I have never seen her skate truly badly), she is the best out there. I still think, that BY FAR, she gave the night's absolute BEST artistic performance in Salt Lake City.

Rinkside
    The only one I want to see repeat is Stéphane.

For the other disciplines, I'll be rooting for Mao Asada, Belbin & Agosto, and for Shen & Zhao to regain their title.

Hi, SwissMiss. Welcome to the forum. Post often, post long!

Cool Stephane avartar in your signature.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast