(Video)96 Karen Kwan, John Zimmerman, Nicole Bobek | Golden Skate

(Video)96 Karen Kwan, John Zimmerman, Nicole Bobek

IDLERACER

Medalist
Boy you sure have to plough through quite a gauntlet of pop-ups and stuff at that website. But it is great stuff. Click HERE and watch an even better performance from two years earlier. It's hard to believe she's only 14 years old.

Kasey

Medalist
IDLERACER said:
Speaking of 14 year olds, HERE is the earliest known footage of Sasha Cohen in existnece.

I liked it better than most of her programs of the last five years. The "Splat" had not yet been patented, which is a very good thing......the Ina Bauer was better than any she's done in recent years (yes, I know she's had back issues), and that move of backbend-skate to head without touching her skate at all, a thing of beauty. Wow.

Idle - She looks so confident in that video. It's hard to believe that as she got older, the uncertainties developed. This is the type of performance we have been waiting for. Maybe this coming season.

Joe

76olympics

On the Ice
Wow, you already see most of her trademark moves in that performance. I do think -although she is certainly thin- she is not quite as fragile looking as she has been the past few seasons. This could be due to height increase without much weight increase--but I do think she looks healthier there. That was fun to see! I do think we have not seen the last memorable performance from Sasha.

Dee - Thank you again for bringing me down memory lane. It was nice seeing those clips, and how 8-10 years have changed their lives.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
thanks for sharing these old ones. Question: do you import these from video tape or did you already have them on your computer?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
thanks for sharing these old ones. Question: do you import these from video tape or did you already have them on your computer?
Red Dog, these are from my video stash that I've taped over the years on VHS tapes. I convert them to DVD and then upload to the computer into a movie maker program and then render it and upload to a file hosting site-- it's quite a time consuming project but the more I do it the better I'm getting at it. BTW, thanks for all your advice about the project. I am not a Youtube person, the quality just isn't quite what I like to watch.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
interesting. Actually, I import from VHS straight to my computer using my digital camcorder...it's faster.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
interesting. Actually, I import from VHS straight to my computer using my digital camcorder...it's faster.
It probably is Red Dog but I don't have a camcorder so I had to learn how to import from DVD.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
Then in that case, that's the way to do it. As long as you have a device that can convert the analog signal to a digital one for the PC, you're good. For me, my camcorder has a pass-through so I just use that.

WMM is good but I've been starting to have some "issues" with it.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Yes, Thank you Dee for the videos, that is very nice of you to be so generous with your time to get those downloaded for sharing.

RD has the simplest way of doing that. That is if the "movie program" you have has that ability. I would definitely have to say with experience on both Win and Mac, the standard apps for Mac have been the easiest and provide great editing tools. Particularly in the case if you are just importing the video as it is, no editing. There is a couple of Microsoft imitations of iMove out there that are pretty good - and I don't think to exspencive.

I totally agree with Dee on the quality of YouTube, I have messed around with my share settings on the videos I import to YouTube and am slowly getting better results. I think the biggest problem is when others are sharing / downloading, they use the first "compression types" just to get it to fit. There are ways of importing closer to the 100mb limit that will give better image quality. I will most likely go back and try to enhance the quality of my first 2 loads there.

Plus it is my understanding that MegaUpload is a pay for the service site, that offers a better quality because the "downloader" is charged (and can get payed to) for what the "downloadee" can view for free. It seems like a cool community with some interesting opportunities. I would like to know if anyone has bought one of there external Hard Drives?

Anyway thanks again Dee4707 and Idelracer for the links.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Idle - She looks so confident in that video. It's hard to believe that as she got older, the uncertainties developed. This is the type of performance we have been waiting for. Maybe this coming season.

Joe

Actually, I disagree; to me, it makes perfect sense that the older a skater gets, the more likely it is that they'll start doubting themselves, especially if high expectations, pressure, health problems and defeats (which happen to everyone) are thrown into the mix early on. It gets harder to have that untarnished confidence of youth, not for all (i.e. Shizuka) but for many (Tara, Sarah). And yet her 2006 Oly LP showed some beautiful expression, artistry, and maturity, errors and all. I wish her a strong 2006-2007 season if she decides to stick around.

As for falls, it's easy to associate Sasha with them because she's so visible as a top skater, and an outstandingly talented one at that, but I bet that if you looked at the performances of people, say, outside that upper echelon of 4-5 podium-dominating skaters, other skaters, not as talented as Sasha, have probably fallen about as much, as regularly, as consistently. I think she gets all the scrutiny because of the high expectations and also because of her high placements despite the falls. Since her technical is seldom if ever perfect, I think that her high placements, in turn, speak volumes about her talent and high level of achievement as an all around skater, if not a jumper.

JMHO.

Sarah M.

soogar

Record Breaker
sarahmistral said:
Actually, I disagree; to me, it makes perfect sense that the older a skater gets, the more likely it is that they'll start doubting themselves, especially if high expectations, pressure, health problems and defeats (which happen to everyone) are thrown into the mix early on. It gets harder to have that untarnished confidence of youth, not for all (i.e. Shizuka) but for many (Tara, Sarah). And yet her 2006 Oly LP showed some beautiful expression, artistry, and maturity, errors and all. I wish her a strong 2006-2007 season if she decides to stick around.

Sarah M.

Exactly! And she fell her share of times back then as well. Though she was forgiven for them because of her youth. Though I think commentators are extra tough on Sasha. Kristi and Nancy Kerrigan (oh boy, especially Nancy) fell their fair share of times as well and they weren't constantly maligned by Dick and Peggy for falling. With Sasha there's too much expectation of being perfect.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
As for falls, it's easy to associate Sasha with them because she's so visible as a top skater, and an outstandingly talented one at that, but I bet that if you looked at the performances of people, say, outside that upper echelon of 4-5 podium-dominating skaters, other skaters, not as talented as Sasha, have probably fallen about as much, as regularly, as consistently
I expect skaters ranked higher and with more talent to fall LESS. That's why it looks bad because she is ranked so high and has so much talent.

I agree with Piel. It was expected that Sasha would be able to join that "upper echelon of 4-5 podium-dominating skaters" -- instead of being relegated to the second tier of "other skaters" who fall with "regularity and consistency."

I can see why Dick and Peggy are so frustrated when they do commentary on Sasha's competitions. Actually, it is a compliment to Sasha. They praise her talent to the hills, but then -- awwww -- darn it, she let it slip away again.

Last edited: