Salchow? | Golden Skate

Salchow?

vedette

Spectator
Hey, I've been taught my salchow, but I just can't lift off into the jump! I don't really understand how edge jump works. Can someone give me tips/ explain? Like, other than bending my knees, what can I do? How does my arms help in my jump? How do I stop my free leg from bending (when I bring it forward)? My coach says not to go on toepick before I kick off but I have no idea when to go from the blade to the toepick :( And what about the changing of weight (from one leg to other) ?
tia :)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
The salcow- named after Swedish skater Ulrich Salchow. It begins from a back inside edge and ends on a back outside edge. Sometimes it is referred to as a waltz jump form a back inside edge, but the Salchow is a full revolution not a half one.

Preperation: The entry into the jump is begun by a left forward outside three turn. The jump originates from the left back inside edge of the three. Check the shoulders after the three to establish control and set up the momentum of the jump.

Takeoff and rotation: The right free arm moves with the right free foot, which is behind the skating foot after the three. Both the free arm and the free foot should be brought forward as the knee bends in preparation for the jump. Pressure is maintained on the front of the blade as the free leg and free arm move in a circular pattern around the skating side and into the air position. The toe pick is the last part of the blade to leave the ice.

vedette

Spectator
Hey , thank you :)
Btw, who's that in your icon? Looks like a young version of Katarina Witt.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Glad that I could be of some help. The salcow is a hard jump for me too. I get up but I have a hard time not swinging my free leg too much. Good luck on getting the jump.

My icon is a picture of Ekaterina Gordeeva.

antmanb

Record Breaker
One other tip my coach has recently given me which has increased the height on all of my jumps...

Press your shoulders down before you jump on all of your jumps, the way to make sure you're doing this is think of trying to elongate your neck as much as you can (this causes you to push your shoulders down). My coach says pressing your shoulders down helps because of thinking of yourself as a spring when you jump. In order to get up high your have to push everything down and release it - hence bending your knee etc. Pushying your arms/shoulders down adds because it gives you something to jump against.

It seems to have stablised the three turn in and given me a big height increase too.

Ant

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
vedette said:
Hey, I've been taught my salchow, but I just can't lift off into the jump! I don't really understand how edge jump works. Can someone give me tips/ explain? Like, other than bending my knees, what can I do? How does my arms help in my jump? How do I stop my free leg from bending (when I bring it forward)? My coach says not to go on toepick before I kick off but I have no idea when to go from the blade to the toepick :( And what about the changing of weight (from one leg to other) ?
tia :)
Oh my! This jump gave me fits!!! I had such a mental block when learning it I could not do it for months! We had to break it down into the little pieces of it first. Then put it together. One day it finally "clicked!!"
-When you are doing the 3-turn for this jump, you must hold it in a very strong check and on a very bent knee-these are vital to getting the spring you are looking for! In a way, this is the same position you are in for the toe-loop, flip, etc....free leg extended back and the skating leg bent deeply
-As you prepare to spring up, for a split-second you do sort-of roll off of your toepick but it is very small
-Your free leg "scoops" through as your skating leg pushes off of the ice and at the same time your arms pull in AND your head pivots to look over your shoulder (this is the way I was taught)
-the weight transfers in the air, just as in the waltz jump

Don't rush this jump! Take your time and you will be rewarded :biggrin:

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
My salchows are appalling. I can do a relatively respectable one in practice, but if I try to put one in competition, it just rotates on the ice and then jumps backwards. or 1/4 revolution at best. So I've given up on them..... you don't need many jumps for Interpretive/Artistic/showcase/exhibition, whatever you call it.