It's just...too hard to accept... | Golden Skate

It's just...too hard to accept...

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
This is a very long post but I am saying please to all of you to read it.

So hi all,

Many of you from the forum know me well. You know where I am from, how I skate, under what conditions. For those who don’t know, I will repeat, short version.
I live in Serbia, where nobody cares about this wonderful sport. In whole country there are only three ice rinks normal sizes. First is in city Subotica, but it doesn’t have a roof and it’s opened only 3-4 months. Second is in Novi Sad but there are no figure skaters. Only hockey clubs. It’s opened 6 months. So, the one left is in Belgrade, where I live and train. It’s opened 6 months.
So this is another year I have to fight with reality. I (as all other skaters) don’t have where to skate since April to September (only if we be lucky it will be opened then).
I am doing hard off ices, running, imitating jumps off ice, stretching, taking ballet classes. But it’s not the same thing as when you skate. :no:

It’s too hard to get over.:cry:

With all my years on the ice, skating became the most important thing in my life. It became my way of life, a thing I live for. Getting up at 4:30 AM and freezing at the rink (those are our conditions), falling up and getting down- it all became a thing I can’t live without. I'd give anything, anything to skate.
This is another summer I have to live nights crying and wishing I am on the ice. Only the taught that someone else in this world can skate now, someone who maybe doesn’t care about skating so much, that all other skaters are preparing their programs now, when I can’t…it’s freaking me out. And also, there is a fear… being afraid of losing what I learnd so hard.

I don’t even know why I worte all these things. But never mind. I guess, since nobody I know wants to take a real conversation with me about this, or they are saying I am crazy, or that I just have to get over it. That many skaters here are having the same situation. I know I should get over it. But nobody I know LOVES skating as much as I do, especially here.

I feel so small and unhelples in this big world. How I wish I could change the world, just for one day!

Rusty Blades

Rinkside
I can understand what you are saying, though I don't have any answers for you. So much depends on your specific situation. Some people who have the means have been known to move to a more northern country to skate, but that requires a HUGE committment!

Even here in central Canada, skating beyond the 6 months of winter requires $$$. I returned to skating in January and will have belonged to 6 different clubs by the end of the year in order to keep skating.

I wish you luck and I understand your frustration!

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Hey, I'm frustrated enough that my local rink is closing for the summer soon and I dont' know where I'll skate besides once a week at the club where I work (I can't afford the ice time more often there--it costs as much for me to skate one session as they pay me per hour!) I can't begin to imagine how crazy you must be feeling.

Go ahead and vent! I know I'd be going nuts if I were you.

Wolfgang

On the Ice
The best advice I can give you for additional off-ice training would be to get a pair of roller or inline skates.
It's not the same, but it's the closest thing you're going to find if there just isn't any ice to be had.
I go to the local roller rink sometimes for a little 'cross training', and Tara Lipinski won Olympic gold with a roller skating background, so it's not all bad.....:)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Is there anyway for you to do a exchange program? Can you afford to go somewhere where there is year round training for skaters?

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
dlkksk8fan said:
Is there anyway for you to do a exchange program? Can you afford to go somewhere where there is year round training for skaters?

What do you mean exactly with "Is there anyway for you to do a exchange program"?
You mean, to somewhere else to skate?
Well look, school here ended up at Friday (17.6) and the rink was closed on April...Even if I could afford, that would still be like more that 2 months off ice because of school...IF I could afford...Those things are so expensive

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My brother has the same problem... no ice during the summer... he can't afford to come up here where I am to continue training, he's just started anyway so it's not like it's a big committment for him yet...

so I understand, somewhat, the frustration...

gio

Medalist
Are maybe some ice rinks open in the summer in Romania, or in Croatia, or in Hungary?
It's sad that the majority of European countries don't have ice rinks open also in the summer.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well at least you have your youth and your health on your side. I used to be a figure skater and though I have not been involved in figure skating for many years still have a passion for skating and miss those wonderful years a great deal. I tried adult figure skating afew years ago, but my back problems started and pretty much sidelined me. Eventually I had to hang up my skates and have become an arm chair expert instead. Not very thrilling. Now I have been diagnosed with an arthritic condition in my lower back as well.

Anyway, not trying to minimise your situation, but you do have the Fall season to look forward to. Summer is short. Do some off ice training - bicycle, run, swim. These are all good exercises to prepare for the fall and winter season.

Best of luck with your skating!

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
I know you all think summer is short but not for me...:)
The point is...that I think...I could be good, really. I won Nationals and really really would give my best, if I would have chance!
I am keep saying that my big, huge wish is to live JUST ONE SUMMER when I could go and skate here in Belgrade, just one summer, just to see how it looks like!

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
anything_for_skating said:
The point is...that I think...I could be good, really. I won Nationals and really really would give my best, if I would have chance!
I am keep saying that my big, huge wish is to live JUST ONE SUMMER when I could go and skate here in Belgrade, just one summer, just to see how it looks like!
Would your national federation not pay for you to go for summer training somewhere like Belgrade, or to one of the many summer skating schools there are around? It might be worth speaking to them, and asking what you, as a National champion, should be doing for ice (and, indeed, for training) until September.

I

IcyBallerina

That's true- it sounds like you are very good, especially considering your age and conditions, and if your fed has the money, perhaps they would invest it in helping you train?

Wolfgang

On the Ice
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing she's having trouble with Serbian Figure Skating caring........
If there is no ice anywhere in the summer, that probably means that they won't be sending anyone anywhere where there is......

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Um..............................
Trifun Zivanovic (I guess you all know who is he, if you don't, he placed 24th at Worlds, he is our national champion) lives and trains in America. Sonja Mugosa, the best junior girl, lives and trains in France. Other skaters are just trying their best here. If it's like that for all, it has to be like that for me too. So far I learnd I have to accept it as it is.
And asking for conditions, not now. I mean, not yet. Who knows, maybe I will do it someday, but firstly to show more what I can do, now it's too soon.
I hope you understand what am I trying to say

Last edited:

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I must say, I really admire your passion for skating. I don't really know what to say about your situation. I wish you great luck though.

p.s. is that you in your avatar?

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
BravesSkateFan said:
I must say, I really admire your passion for skating. I don't really know what to say about your situation. I wish you great luck though.

p.s. is that you in your avatar?

yeah, that's me but I think I will put other soon, I don't really like this one :p

candlestick

Spectator
This may be a little extreme but mabe there should be another rink open in your country. It may sound much more far fetched living where you do but it may deem profitable for investors. Most rinks are sponsored by large corporations aswell, but for a small rink that isn't nessissary. Mabe if you talk to the right people you could get some things going.

If I were to approach this here in the U.S. I would talk with a few adults that ran profitable small buisnesses (people that are close to me). Talk to them and have them help me create a buisness plan. This plan will be backed by the current buisness owners and will be presented to local companies and banks for funding and loans. Usually if a bank likes a proposition there is alot of assistance in making it a success. The rest all kinda depends, I've started small "out of warehouse" buisnesses but never something the scale of a rink. It's risky if you don't have the right support.

If you don't think this is doable (I don't blame you) try and look for Siberia-based corporations that may fund your skating. Considering your situation it may not be difficult to get funding from other companies. In general corporations have money to spare for this kinda stuff than governments (Russia and China aside).

above all good luck