Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: So You Think You Can Dance

So You Think You Can Dance

Who's watching?

I loved Heidi (who BTW is a dead ringer for Reece Witherspoon) and her partner Sean's pop dance to "Walk Away". Also Danielle and partner's Cha Cha. As for the judges send Mia home and have Mary every week. She is such a HOOT! I need to get out more because I have never heard of Krumping. Sure have had a lot of fun today asking people if they wanted to krump. I thought it was very cool of Nigel to compliment Danielle on how great she looks even if she isn't a stick. Very timely with the release of Kat's story about her bulimia.

Heidi was better solo, didn't connect with her partner last night. BTW it is Donyelle and she is way hot! - comments via hottest girl thread. Happy with their choice on who stays. Can't believe the choice last week though, but he seemed limited. I think I like the jive / swing styles the best.

Benji is my favorite... he's the one that is the prior swing dance champion of the US... he's an amazing dancer. His cousin on the show is Heidi... love both of them

also like the couple that danced to Travolta last week and did great this week too... I'm still learning names apparently

who got voted off last night? dad was medvac-ed to the hospital up here last night and I missed it (so far so good when it comes to him, I'll be leaving shortly to go bug him)

Joy was pretty much a foregone conclusion to being voted off by the judges & she was. I was surprised, tho, to see that Jason was voted off rather than Ryan. Both were pretty much on a par last night but I tho't Jason was more versatile when comparing past performances.

I was surprised that Jason was voted off. He was great in the contemporary lyrcial week1 and did wonderfully in the hip hop this week. He and Aleksandra were in the bottom 3 because she wasn't great at hip hop. I think he didn't have a great solo and his lack of training meant that they picked him to go instead of Ryan (he was Heidi's partner who wasn't excited to have her as his partner, but he apologized to her because she was the best partner for him during week 1's Viennese Waltz.)

I was slightly surprised that they kept Aleksandra - her solo was very lackluster and her heart just didn't seem to be in it. It did seem like Joy was not upping the ante enough to satisfy the judges.

so, we have a new team of Dymitri and Aleksandra next week.

Benji and Donyelle seem to be the team to beat at this point. I'm curious to see how Benji would be during a lyrical # since it involves being less 'happy' in the facial expressions.

I'm having a hard time picturing the two that were voted off... help?

Here's a link Toni. The pictures in black & white are the people eliminated.

http://www.fox.com/dance/bios/

thanks, heyang!

How long till the new season?
    Writing thank-you notes to GS for their kind hospitality......
    I think part of why Jason was eliminated instead of Ryan was due to the new partnerships created when half of a pair is eliminated.

Benji and Heidi used to compete together, but during the two years he was doing his Missionary work, she was D'mitri's partner on the competitive circuit. If Ryan had gone home, Heidi and D'Mitri would have been put together, giving them an unfair advantage over the other teams.

I watched tonight for the first time.

I wondered why I liked the show. While I like the dancers, I realized it was the choreographers that get my raves. To get those kids to do dances in such a short period of time and that they are not used to doing, and then in a performance that is totally professional is amazing. Kudoos for the choreographers and especially to that Da Silva guy for that Tango.

Joe

Ashleigh/Ben did Hip Hop. It's her forte and she was very good. Didn't feel it as much with Ben. (he's the one with the myspace site)

Heidi/Ryan did Cuban Rumba. It seemed to be a fusion of African and Latin dance. Nigel loved it. They definitely captured the essence of the dance. I personally didn't see the chemistry but the live audience did (that's one complaint I have about the show - the camera work does not always highlight the performances)

Aleksandara/Dmitry dance the Waltz. It was more of a lyrical version - not the traditional ballroom. This is their 1st week together since their partners Joy and Jason were eliminated last week. The judges raved about him, but they essentially dumped on her because of some unfinished movements and mostly because her lack of emotion. I understood what they were saying, especially after watching the next team.

Allyson/Ivan dance the Argentine Tango. He could've had more 'heat', but it was enough. Great job at the interlocking leg moves. They both did the style well and looked like a couple.

Donyelle/Benji danced Pop Jazz - sorta music video storytelling style. Again, they did a phenomonal dance. Nigel hit the nail on the head when he said that they are a great team. They have never appeared as 2 separate dancers doing their own thing - they always compliment each other as they dance together.

Natalie/Musa did the Quick Step. Musa got a lot of kudos for his effort in learning a style that is totally different from what he does (hip hop). Judge Mary's expertise is ballroom and she said the middle part of the dance definitely needed work, but she also said that he did well with only a few days of training and that she would like to see him after he got more training. For this dance, they should be in the bottom 3, but they might not be because they are both so likeable.

Jessica/Jaymz did a contemporary routine, which is not something I enjoy. They were very good though and you could feel the connection between the 2.

Martha/Travis did hip hop. Problem was that their hip hop styles did not match. Hers was smooth R&B and his was traditional Hip Hop. Nigel said that he saw 2 people dancing - not a team. All the judges said that they are both great dancers, but they needed to become a team and that they have not shown the same improvement as the other teams have. In other words, they need to step it up next week.

My bests were
    Donyelle/Benji, Ivan/Allyson and Jessica/Jaymz for this week. They danced as couples.

My bottom 3 were
    Natalie/Musa, Aleksandra/Dmitry and Martha/Travis. Close call - I could flip Ashleigh/Ben for Martha/Travis.

I liked the judging better in season 1. I think they way they have it this season is way too much of a popularity contest. Not that it wasn't that in season 1, but I think it was a bit less pronounced.

Great performances tonight.

My top 2: Heidi/Ryan and Allison/Ivan. Both couples had the benefit of fantastic choreography, but their interpretation was phenomenal. I never would have expected to put Ivan in my top groups, because I don't care for him when he speaks (and I still think he should have been eliminated instead of Stas), but he did a great job.

My bottom 3: Natalie/Musa, Dmitri/Alexandra and Jessica/Jaymz. I hope that Jaymz and either Alexandra or Jessica are eliminated. I haven't seen anything over the last few weeks to counteract their mediocre performances tonight.

I agree that Heidi looks like Reese Witherspoon - and I think Natalie looks like Brittany Murphy

Heyang - In my days of yore, the Rhumba, a Cuban dance - no need to call it the Cuban Rhumba - it already is. Anyway, it was a very elegant latin dance to the many smooth rhythms of the Latin tunes. It was not meant to be a Conga, a Mereingue, a Samba, a Cha cha, etc. Romantic elegance was the key. I guess times have changed.

I was just not impressed with the upbeat of the music and the acrobatic moves of the male dancer in what I consider a Romantic Elegant Dance.

Joe

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast