Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: So You Think You Can Dance

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang
    Allyson/Ivan dance the Argentine Tango. He could've had more 'heat', but it was enough.
    I loved their dance and I agree about the heat but he did as well as could be expected. It's kind of hard to get a kid to be hot and steamy.

I just have to say this, I watch the show but I'm still mad about last year when they voted off Ardem (sp??), he was one of the top male dances. He had it all. Ok, I'm over it now!!! Anyhow, he did demonstrate a dance with Mary (mouth, she soooo gets on my nerves) this season. Loved it!!

Dee

Everyone danced pretty good last night.

The starting outfits were horid And what was with the yellow belt?

Ashlee and Ben, Allison (eyes popped out on that dress, I am surprised it held together) and Ivan (how he wasn't more lustful looking of her I have no Idea)- best improvement as a pair, and of course Donyelle and Benji (ALTHOUGH THE DUMBEST OUT FITS OF THE NIGHT), were top performances IMO. Kudos to the choreographers! I think Benji is in love.

Musa is such a likable and handsome man, it is a shame his foot work and shoulders were just pitiful. That end posse was really nice though. Natalie's dress was very nice - fave. Despite Allison's being really sexy - it was a little over the top, can't say I minded but it made it hard to see Ivan.

Martha and Travis didn't have the same approach to that in their minds it seemed. Wow Martha's Legsd deserve a mention, step back Tina! But for Travis not to have a smoother approach when he is so talented at contemporary / jazz? I think he put his foot in his mouth about trying to use it as an excuse when it made it even more evident that he should have been able to match style.

Heidi and Ryan did really well, but I didn't care for the "Bongo Butt" thing, gimmicky in a dance form (agree with Joe's just Cuban) that is not a gimmicky dance. But they were good with what they were given.

Anyhoo, Musa showed he is not as flexible with styles as he needs to be. Maybe it was great how he was able to pick it up and do a decent job, but he couldn't even keep his shoulders and arms up (one arm was constantly tucking into his body) even after the work and emphasis with the bar.

Aleksandra totally lacked elegance and was not convincing to me at all.

BTW, what is with changing the spelling of common names all the time. Didn't any of them see the scene in LA Story with Steve Martian and Sarah Jessica Parker - SaNdY. Reminds me of when I was 13 - 14 trying to get my named spelled Shøn
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 06-29-2006 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu
    Anyhoo, Musa showed he is not as flexible with styles as he needs to be. Maybe it was great how he was able to pick it up and do a decent job, but he couldn't even keep his shoulders and arms up (one arm was constantly tucking into his body) even after the work and emphasis with the bar.
    I just wanted to point out that completely changing your body posture, even for a trained dancer, is very difficult. It's not going to happen in less than a week, even with a tool such as the arm bar they used (which looked cool). Musa did not do a "good" quickstep at all, but he was so much better than I could ever have expected from someone who's a breakdancer and has never had to think about his port a bras (arm placement). I think this dance showed that he does have a lot of versatility and could learn a lot of different styles. He just can't do it in one week - and of course, that does put him at a disadvantage for this competition.

I agree that Benji seems quite smitten with Donyelle, and they have great chemistry, all the time.

ETA: "Shøn" :lol: That's a new one! I new a girl named Shawn who changed it to Sian when she was 14. I actually like that spelling a lot.

My cousin went from Karen to Caryn to Karyn and now as an adult accepts that her name is Karen.

Ivan has really grown on me. Must be the baby face.

Given the elimination process last night, I think Musa must have many many people voting for him. He really is a bad dancer and not just with that phony Quick Step which should not have a Charleston or Hip Hop in it. But it did, so that poor talentless Musa could show something.

I'll bet he'll come down to the final 3 couples. Apparently he is good for the ratings moreso than for the phone calls.

Joe

Musa is a very talented break-dancer... I enjoy him and he is improving....

didn't see everything the other night, and again missed the voting off... but I enjoyed Musa for the fact that he at least attempted it and didn't give up...

for someone who isn't a big fan of the art of dance, I enjoy the show... am I overly knowledgeable? no, but I don't think most of the viewers of the show are anyway....

IF you're really upset about the results, just pick up your own phone and vote for them or don't complain about it being wrong... it's free, and everyone has a redial button these days....

The judges say that part of the competition is about the journey. They want the champion to be someone that grows throughout the competition (Aleksandra's cut) and that understands the work that's involved (thus Ben being cut)

Musa also did very well the previous week when they did the contemporary dance. Considering that he has no training, he's showing that he's willing to work hard and 1 week of training between interviews, etc it not a lot of time to become a master. The 1st week Musa had either a samba or a mambo and he was not good and if I recall he was in the bottom 3 and did an awesome solo.

Last season, one of the breakdancers got ballroom several weeks in a row (Jamal, I think). With each week, he improved.

Oh, I just grew up on ballroom dancing. One doesn't do a charleston or a hip hop break when doing a Quick Step. That's more than a journey. It's a grande leap.

Musa is a good looking guy and very appealing to the ladies. He'll be around for the Finals regardless of how well he dances.

(There were several dancers who 'attempted' their dance, but they didn't get credit for the attempt at least from the callers.)

Joe

Joe - that's because the rest have dance training... in many forms... whereas Musa doesn't have diddly

a lot of attractive people, IMHO, have already gone home. Musa is a great looking guy, but looks aren't going to keep him out of the bottom 3

Mark me. He will be in the final group of three and because he will draw the Hip Hop.

Is anyone still watching? Tonight is going really well.

Filming of the Lil C dance was poorly done. The camera man kept on moving in and out; so, you couldn’t really see their whole body move, which is what dance is. They should consider Fred Astaire’s rule – during filming, he insisted that his entire body from head to toe be visible. I have the same complaint with ice skating.

Heidi/Ryan drew Hip Hop. Very different for both of them – he’s lyrical contemporary and she’s Latin/swing. They definitely went for it. I was surprised how well they performed – they took on the persona and the steps.

Martha/Travis picked Salsa. They were both worried because neither one of them has any ballroom experience. I thought they were sizzlin hot. Some of the judges thought that it should’ve been sultrier.

Ashleigh/Dimytri formed a new couple and got a contemporary dance. She’s a popper and he’s ballroom; so, another foreign style for a team this week. Very entertaining, but the technique wasn’t there. I didn’t feel that they were dancing together.

Natalie/Musa got disco. They did a really good job and they are a team. Lots of tricks were included to showcase their physical strength.

Donyelle/Benji danced the Viennese Waltz. I don’t why, but I always enjoy watching them. After raucous applause, Nigel mentioned that Donyelle is dancing with an injured toe. Their routine was absolutely lovely. During the early part of the routine, they didn’t really look at each other much, but when they did, instant connection (for me.)

Allyson/Ivan had to West Coast Swing – their 3rd ballroom dance. This is Benji’s specialty, whereas their styles are contemporary lyrical and hip hop. Ivan’s only experience with swing is dancing with his mother. Another hit for them. Last week’s Argentinean Tango was remarkable and so was this week’s. The choreographer took advantage of Ivan’s hip hop in the gliding movements. They both looked like they were having a lot of fun, too.

Jessica/Jaymz hoped for and picked hip hop. They just wanted something different – he’s jazz and she’s a ballet dancer. It was good choreography, but they didn’t ‘pop’ enough.

OMG – it’s really hard to pick this week….

Top:
    Donyelle/Benji
    Allyson/Ivan

Bottom:
    Ashleigh/Dimytri
    Jessica/Jaymz

If I have to pick another team for bottom 3, I’d flip flop between Heidi/Ryan [because I kinda forgot what they had done by the end of the show] and Natalie/Musa [because there were more tricks than actual dancing.]

Banned
    I watched this show tonight for the first time ever. And probably the last time ever! I love dancing, I spent 18 years in dance, but I'd rather see people do what they're good at! I don't like watching ballerina's do hip hop, it just doesn't work. Honestly, almost NO ONE should ever do hip hop, most of the time they look silly.

The girl with the fringy pants? DUMP HER! The hip hop with a scarf chick, she's gotta go too. The modern dance with the girl wearing a big pouffy tutu, NOT GOOD. I simply do not understand the big to-do about this show.

Most people would kill to dance half as good as the contestants on this show. What is your problem with the girls doing the WCS? It's not like they have a choice what they dance. So how can you fault them for dancing outside of their specialty?
    Last edited by Piel; 07-05-2006 at 10:19 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast