So You Think You Can Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

So You Think You Can Dance

Given the elimination process last night, I think Musa must have many many people voting for him. He really is a bad dancer and not just with that phony Quick Step which should not have a Charleston or Hip Hop in it. But it did, so that poor talentless Musa could show something.

I'll bet he'll come down to the final 3 couples. Apparently he is good for the ratings moreso than for the phone calls.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Musa is a very talented break-dancer... I enjoy him and he is improving....

didn't see everything the other night, and again missed the voting off... but I enjoyed Musa for the fact that he at least attempted it and didn't give up...

for someone who isn't a big fan of the art of dance, I enjoy the show... am I overly knowledgeable? no, but I don't think most of the viewers of the show are anyway....

IF you're really upset about the results, just pick up your own phone and vote for them or don't complain about it being wrong... it's free, and everyone has a redial button these days.... :laugh:

heyang

Record Breaker
The judges say that part of the competition is about the journey. They want the champion to be someone that grows throughout the competition (Aleksandra's cut) and that understands the work that's involved (thus Ben being cut)

Musa also did very well the previous week when they did the contemporary dance. Considering that he has no training, he's showing that he's willing to work hard and 1 week of training between interviews, etc it not a lot of time to become a master. The 1st week Musa had either a samba or a mambo and he was not good and if I recall he was in the bottom 3 and did an awesome solo.

Last season, one of the breakdancers got ballroom several weeks in a row (Jamal, I think). With each week, he improved.

Oh, I just grew up on ballroom dancing. One doesn't do a charleston or a hip hop break when doing a Quick Step. That's more than a journey. It's a grande leap.

Musa is a good looking guy and very appealing to the ladies. He'll be around for the Finals regardless of how well he dances.

(There were several dancers who 'attempted' their dance, but they didn't get credit for the attempt at least from the callers.)

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joe - that's because the rest have dance training... in many forms... whereas Musa doesn't have diddly

a lot of attractive people, IMHO, have already gone home. Musa is a great looking guy, but looks aren't going to keep him out of the bottom 3

heyang

Record Breaker
Filming of the Lil C dance was poorly done. The camera man kept on moving in and out; so, you couldn’t really see their whole body move, which is what dance is. They should consider Fred Astaire’s rule – during filming, he insisted that his entire body from head to toe be visible. I have the same complaint with ice skating.

Heidi/Ryan drew Hip Hop. Very different for both of them – he’s lyrical contemporary and she’s Latin/swing. They definitely went for it. I was surprised how well they performed – they took on the persona and the steps.

Martha/Travis picked Salsa. They were both worried because neither one of them has any ballroom experience. I thought they were sizzlin hot. Some of the judges thought that it should’ve been sultrier.

Ashleigh/Dimytri formed a new couple and got a contemporary dance. She’s a popper and he’s ballroom; so, another foreign style for a team this week. Very entertaining, but the technique wasn’t there. I didn’t feel that they were dancing together.

Natalie/Musa got disco. They did a really good job and they are a team. Lots of tricks were included to showcase their physical strength.

Donyelle/Benji danced the Viennese Waltz. I don’t why, but I always enjoy watching them. After raucous applause, Nigel mentioned that Donyelle is dancing with an injured toe. Their routine was absolutely lovely. During the early part of the routine, they didn’t really look at each other much, but when they did, instant connection (for me.)

Allyson/Ivan had to West Coast Swing – their 3rd ballroom dance. This is Benji’s specialty, whereas their styles are contemporary lyrical and hip hop. Ivan’s only experience with swing is dancing with his mother. Another hit for them. Last week’s Argentinean Tango was remarkable and so was this week’s. The choreographer took advantage of Ivan’s hip hop in the gliding movements. They both looked like they were having a lot of fun, too.

Jessica/Jaymz hoped for and picked hip hop. They just wanted something different – he’s jazz and she’s a ballet dancer. It was good choreography, but they didn’t ‘pop’ enough.

OMG – it’s really hard to pick this week….

Top:
Donyelle/Benji
Allyson/Ivan

Bottom:
Ashleigh/Dimytri
Jessica/Jaymz

If I have to pick another team for bottom 3, I’d flip flop between Heidi/Ryan [because I kinda forgot what they had done by the end of the show] and Natalie/Musa [because there were more tricks than actual dancing.]

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I watched this show tonight for the first time ever. And probably the last time ever! I love dancing, I spent 18 years in dance, but I'd rather see people do what they're good at! I don't like watching ballerina's do hip hop, it just doesn't work. Honestly, almost NO ONE should ever do hip hop, most of the time they look silly.

The girl with the fringy pants? DUMP HER! The hip hop with a scarf chick, she's gotta go too. The modern dance with the girl wearing a big pouffy tutu, NOT GOOD. I simply do not understand the big to-do about this show.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Most people would kill to dance half as good as the contestants on this show. What is your problem with the girls doing the WCS? It's not like they have a choice what they dance. So how can you fault them for dancing outside of their specialty?

Last edited:

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Piel said:
Most people would kill to dance half as good as the contestants on this show. What is your problem with the girls doing the WCS? It's not like they have a choice what they dance. So how can you fault them for dancing outside of their specialty?
I'm not "faulting" anyone. All I'm saying is, I prefer to watch dancers within their specialty. If I want to see ballet, I'll go to The Nutcracker or something. I go watch the Rockettes if I want to see good tap dancing. In the mood for Irish, I'll watch Riverdance or something like that. I enjoy seeing people do what their best at, where they really shine. I have a lot of training in tap and ballet. I took a hip-hop class for two years just to have a little fun and branch out a little. Did I enjoy it? Sure. Should I ever perform it in public? Heck no! I'll stick to what I'm good at.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Not that it matters,:laugh: but I think the reason people like this show is because of a more open view. Not that I think that anyone should not have their own view, but people attempting things outside of their little safety net should be, can be and will be appreciated. And for someone to just stay in their zone and never do there best at other things once and a while would be a sad day and a reason for disappointment that the "adventure attitude" be lost. I guess sometimes people shine when they reach for something new too.

As for the show,:)

heyang said:
- "....consider Fred Astaire’s rule – during filming, he insisted that his entire body from head to toe be visible. I have the same complaint with ice skating."
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I would say bigger complaint with Ice Skating and I never knew that was Fred's rule.

The lady named Pandora in the "review" was wonderful dancer. It is interesting how some don't have that ABLITY TO BE FLEXIBLE IN STYLES. She was really good at what she did do. I am glad they finally aired that.

Martha & Travis were good, but it seems like the are "stand off ish" of each other. I don't know what that is. Not that interesting.

Ashleigh & Dimytri (what is with these names) I belive did an awsome job and show interest and integrity. Ashleigh did the best job in character and totally disagree with one of the judges - she is "steeling my heart" - lol - for favorite. Sucker for the smile. Dimytri, big woop, danced well, but that character of the dance just wasn't there.

Natalie & Musa, took a minute to get into it I think because Musa felt his way and Natalie kept the time, that might be different but I like it. I liked Natalie's dress the most. Musa seems like this is the greatest thing in the world that is ever going to hap[pen to him. Just seems so happy to entertain. Class act, but I don't think he is the best dancer.

Donyelle & Benji Dance so nicely together. It was not the best thing to hear Donyelle mispronouncing and not having a clue what she was saying - apeal dropped a few, come on you are a dancer....why don't you know. And it has become distracting how smitten Benji is over her. But they do dance so nice and Donyelle is a "sweet personality." I did like the "play / learn time he did with Dimytri.

Allyson & Ivan - I love the Jitter Bug! I Loved it. Ivan was a little silly and I think Allyson carried the two. Hated the pants, she is now a favorite too - eech getting harder to decide.

Jessica & Jaymz That was the best choreography but the most "unfelt" of performances.

Dimytri & Jessica are my vote out - that sounds bad...oh well.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I've only watched a few minutes of the show - all I know is I would not want to be judged by someone who wears a hat so low one can't see his eyes. Who is this wierd dude anyway? :laugh:

dancindiva03 said:
I'm not "faulting" anyone. All I'm saying is, I prefer to watch dancers within their specialty. If I want to see ballet, I'll go to The Nutcracker or something. I go watch the Rockettes if I want to see good tap dancing. In the mood for Irish, I'll watch Riverdance or something like that. I enjoy seeing people do what their best at, where they really shine. I have a lot of training in tap and ballet. I took a hip-hop class for two years just to have a little fun and branch out a little. Did I enjoy it? Sure. Should I ever perform it in public? Heck no! I'll stick to what I'm good at.
I don't blame you. When I'm looking for performing artistry, I go to the Opera and Ballet - not to figure skating.

Regarding ballet, if one can get away from 19th century ballet, they will find a world of modern ballet which is more exciting and just as beautiful.

So you think you can dance is not necessarily Ballroom Dancing but it certainly uses ballroom in its agenda. We are looking for the best of those contestants who is capable of managing in all the different dances which are part of the show. Not unlike the Olympics Best Athlete.

BTW. I would not take this show all that seriously. It is geared to ratings and those dancers who appear to be winning the votes will be retained on the show.

Joe

Maybe I'm not watching properly but Musa does not seem to me to be a dancer. Even with last night's performance which one would expect him to be brilliant, he stood by the gal's side most of the time and let her do the work. But he'll be back.

Donnyelle and Benji did the best job, imo last night.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
I've only watched a few minutes of the show - all I know is I would not want to be judged by someone who wears a hat so low one can't see his eyes. Who is this wierd dude anyway? :laugh:

Shane [don't know his last name] and I think he's one of the only judges that actually brings some good to the table... he points out where they could have been better. He admittedly doesn't have a lot of knowledge on the more straight backed and "snooty" (my word not his) dances, but he still gives some great comments

I like the show, maybe because I'm stupid when it comes to the art, but I enjoy seeing people try new things... and how is DISCO supposed to be something Musa would shine in? He's a breaker!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
... Musa does not seem to me to be a dancer.
I completely agree, and I think you made the comment that he will keep coming back because of who he is to something of that effect, I too believe that. He is so grateful and eager it makes him so likable and charming - total opposite of Dimytri. It is a pop contest once again and the most talented might not win. I am also not getting the feeling Dimytri is the best example of versatility and expression on this show. He seems a little arrogant and self righteous to me, I hope he doesn't "kill off" Ashleigh with his curse. I think she is very versatile with that stellar smile - earmarks of a performer in my mind.

Joesitz said:
Donnyelle and Benji did the best job, imo last night.

Joe
Again I agree, to me there is something honest when they are dancing together. I am not reading Donyelle that well, other then I think she adapts well and moves wonderfully, so I can't really see if she feels the same as Benji - but that boy is head over heals!

I have not been trained to the degree of some of you on the ins and outs of Dance (High school show choirs a couple of Jazz / contemporary girlfriends), but it is what you feel is the best, what moves you - that's where I feel anyone is qualified to voice their opinion. And versatility is the key to this show. Not how good you are at any one thing. That has an element of excitement to it as well.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Benji has a great chance of making it to the finals and winning... he's got the same likeability factor as Clay Aiken did in American Idol... and I don't think I'm the only one that sees the similarities... yes some of his mugging gets old in a hurry, but there's something about Benji that just makes me LOVE to watch him. He's a kick! I don't think he needs to worry.

I don't think Dimitry is arrogant, confident: yes... extremely so... and there's nothing wrong with that (do i think he has a great body, not as much as he does, but he's not the only one inlove with his looks, a lot of the ladies on that show seem to think they have it all too lol)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
BTW, I think Shane is my favorite judge as well. I also thought he is a great choreographer - I like the new "spins."

Maybe arrogant is not the perfect word to describe Dimytri, but I thought his performance last night was lackluster and didn't "play it up" do to not wanting to endanger his cool image. That particularly seemed true when the responses came back and the look on his face was so "holier than thou." Maybe a better word to explain him would be conceded.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
We're also talking about someone who is extremely proud of their craft. He is extremely good at what he does, and I can't blame him for not wanting to look completely stupid. That "program" sucked. And it wasn't the dancers' fault.