So You Think You Can Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

So You Think You Can Dance

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I saw Brian Friedman on Reality Chat a couple of nights ago & when he was asked about the future of the 4 remaining dancers, he said he would hire Travis in a heartbeat. That he would have no problem placing him. In what? I don't know that much about the pro dance world. Someone mentioned Benji getting work in Broadway shows, not sure if it was Brian or Kim Caldwell or the other girl as they were talking over each other at that point. Me? I'm a Benji fan but I don't vote.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Travis could be in any show any where, from broadway to a principal dancer on a singer/band tour... which is basically what this show is trying to do this season

I think the 3 of them would have no problem getting into the chorus of a B'dway show. I have no idea if they would have the talent for a singing or an acting part. I think Heidi would work well as an apprentice and then rise to star after a few years in a Ballet company.

I hate picking out the 'best' in anything and these three are no exception. I will leave it to the teenagers of America.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I was surprised, I think Teenagers would like the more fashionably cool attitude of Travis - also the girls screams in the audience were always louder for him. I think it does make one factor a little more evident, technique is not everything, how powerful a "active face" can make a difference.

Yet I think Travis would be better with Ciline's show....

Way to go Benji (from a 37 year old) his classic performer/dancer package beat the technique and "vogue" style.:agree:

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
My vote is for Benji. I only saw him dance once with his partner , Heidi and it was awesome!!! I think he is one of the best dancers I've seen in a long time. I hope he wins.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it amazes me that Benji, a national and world champion in his field is thought of as less than a great dancer... overall yeah, he maybe can't do it all... but I highly prefer his style of dance to that of the contemporary... I guess I'm just in love with the uncultured swing lol

much better than the pop/hip-hop/or contemporary (is it just me or do they not point their toes in that genre? LOL)

Benji's not the best looking, but he can preform, he has the stamina, and certainly the ENERGY to carry on in a show of Celine's size

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
... overall yeah, he maybe can't do it all... but I highly prefer his style of dance to that of the contemporary... I guess I'm just in love with the uncultured swing lol

..ENERGY to carry on in a show of Celine's size

:agree:

Is Celine's show mostly contemporary styles or is that just an impression I get? I just never pictured there being any dancing that is "Benji's forte" in her show. But I have only seen clips, he was able to do fantastic at that style as well IMO so it will be a good thing to have his energy I am sure.

I think his stage presents was more powerful than just "cool" and that is what stood out to me. Projects him self off the stage during a pro, rather then waiting until the end.

But like me, he was quite the "crybaby" too - meant in a nice / jest.

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm hardly a teenager but this old woman has been a Benji fan right from the start. So much was made of Travis' technique which was great in everything But ballroom. Kudos to him for mentioning it. Question: Is the spot in Dion's show as a backup dancer or as a featured soloist?

When skating shows began to falter, many of the skating chorus flocked to Las Vegas and many got into the shows there as part of the show.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
it amazes me that Benji, a national and world champion in his field is thought of as less than a great dancer... overall yeah, he maybe can't do it all... but I highly prefer his style of dance to that of the contemporary... I guess I'm just in love with the uncultured swing lol

much better than the pop/hip-hop/or contemporary (is it just me or do they not point their toes in that genre? LOL)

Benji's not the best looking, but he can preform, he has the stamina, and certainly the ENERGY to carry on in a show of Celine's size

Benji is a natural dancer and has lots of rhythm, good timing and great presentation - hey he could figure skate! He also exudes joy when he dances - much like Kurt Browning when he skates. It's a pleasure to watch Benji. I also like his style of dance. I am just not into the punk/hip hop stuff - leaves me cold. I think Benji can do just about anything and yes he will look great on Celine's stage.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I think it would be really neat to see him in Vegas except I would have to listen to Celine!

Ladskater

Record Breaker
I think it would be really neat to see him in Vegas except I would have to listen to Celine!

Whoa Grgranny! Celine is a nice Canadian girl from Quebec and a great singer - when she avoids the pop diva Whitney Houston/Donna Summer schtick. She needs to get out of the Vegas scene and back to her roots.

heyang

Record Breaker
Rumor reports that Benji turned down the Celine Dion job. Haven't been able to confirm it.

However, if Celine's show is contemporary (which it seems to be based on clips), then I could understand why he might not want to spend a year dancing with the show when his forte is Swing.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Rumor reports that Benji turned down the Celine Dion job. Haven't been able to confirm it.

However, if Celine's show is contemporary (which it seems to be based on clips), then I could understand why he might not want to spend a year dancing with the show when his forte is Swing.

Wow, and that is what I thought too. (emoticon patting themselves on the back):laugh:

I like her voice but she seems really spooky to me.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Here's a link to an interview.... Benji's been cast as Fred Astaire in a movie.

I hope they don't cast Heidi as Ginger, that would be a little too "weird" for me.

/ in article said:
"Does she have to know how to dance?
Benji - "No. As long as she has a passion..."
I bet that wouldn't be true if she danced like "Elaine Bennis (Seinfeld)"

I wonder if Fumie feels the same about how good someone is at FS:laugh: