ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2006-2007 | Golden Skate

ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2006-2007

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha will almost certainly be listed as one of the seeds. What will be interesting is whether the US will have chosen her, knowing that she doesn't want to skate. The alternative seed would have been Mao Asada, but she probably will have already been assigned to two events.

Has anyone noticed that they have changed the point structure for the GP? Instead of 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 for Ladies, Men and Ice Dance, it's now the same as the JGP: 15, 13, 11, 9, 7, 5, 4, 3. It's 15, 13, 11, 9, 7, 5 for Pairs.

Last edited:
I think the U.S. will definitely grab Sasha. Then they have until October to "make her an offer she can't refuse," like they did for Michelle in 2002.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to the rules, the USFS must indicate by 8/15/2006 if the seeds/invited skaters are going to participate. They can't wait until October.

Furthermore, the USFS can't have both Sasha and Kimmie at Skate America, since they are both 1-3 seeds.

from other readings I noted that many Kwan fans want her to skate at least one GP so that she qualifies for the US Nats without going through the Regional/Sectional thing.

It would be wonderful to see her competing again, but I don't believe that will happen. Maybe an exhibition in Spokane but not a competition.

Joe

chuckm said:
Has anyone noticed that they have changed the point structure for the GP? Instead of 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 for Ladies, Men and Ice Dance, it's now the same as the JGP: 15, 13, 11, 9, 7, 5, 4, 3. It's 15, 13, 11, 9, 7, 5 for Pairs.
Very interesting. My first impulse is that I like the old way better, since it gives a bonus for actually winning the event.

Joesitz said:
It would be wonderful to see her competing again, but I don't believe that will happen.
I don't expect it either. In COI, she can hardly make it around the rink (looks beautiful, though).

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mathman said:
What happens if Sasha agrees to skate and then withdraws after August 15?

As I understand it, the only rule if Sasha does not do the GP (for any reason whatsoever) is that she cannot do any shows or cheesefests during the GP events (i.e., from the day SA begins to the day the GPF ends). If this is corrent, then For practical purposes, the only event Sasha can't do is the mid-season Marshall's; Campbell's is held before SA, and the end-of-season Marshall's is long after the GPF.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Furthermore, the USFS can't have both Sasha and Kimmie at Skate America, since they are both 1-3 seeds.
There's nothing in the guidelines that I can find that restricts the home country's selections, which happen first, in any way. Last year, Japan chose Ando and Suguri, both 4-6 seeds, for NHK.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
attyfan said:
As I understand it, the only rule if Sasha does not do the GP (for any reason whatsoever) is that she cannot do any shows or cheesefests during the GP events (i.e., from the day SA begins to the day the GPF ends). If this is corrent, then For practical purposes, the only event Sasha can't do is the mid-season Marshall's; Campbell's is held before SA, and the end-of-season Marshall's is long after the GPF.

Not true. Look in the ISU GP Announcement, page 5, 3.4, paragraphs 2 and 4.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-176029-193247-107503-0-file,00.pdf

Seeded skaters who do not fulfill their GP assignments may not skate in any competitions or exhibitions during the Grand Prix period, which is defined in paragraph 2 as October 26 to December 4. The Grand Prix period does not include the GPF, which will be held 12/14-17.

Therefore, Sasha would be free to do both Campbell's and the winter cheesefest (which has been traditionally scheduled between NHK and the GPF).

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I don't expect it either. In COI, she can hardly make it around the rink (looks beautiful, though).
Technically, if she can do a 2A, steps to a 3T, and a simple combo in the SP, and an axel-type jump in her COI exhitibion program (extended to meet the time requirements), she could bypass US Nats qualifications by skating in the GP that conflicts with her regionals.

But regionals do not conflict with SA, and SA is the only GP where she'd be a draw if her skills are limited, while she might be able to win her regionals with a limited program, and some small rink would become mecca for a few days.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
hockeyfan228 said:
There's nothing in the guidelines that restricts the home country's selections, which happen first, in any way. Last year, Japan chose Ando and Suguri, both 4-6 seeds, for NHK.

The way the seed selection is set up, that could have happened if Japan was one of the first to select its seeds (the order for host selection is chosen by draw). There wouldn't have been a complaint because the seeds they selected were both in the second tier. But if the USFS was one of the first to select seeds and picked two top-tier seeds, I think there would be an objection. JMHO.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
The way the seed selection is set up, that could have happened if Japan was one of the first to select its seeds (the order for host selection is chosen by draw). There wouldn't have been a complaint because the seeds they selected were both in the second tier. But if the USFS was one of the first to select seeds and picked two top-tier seeds, I think there would be an objection. JMHO.
The host nations choose first from among their own skaters, so that if one nation has a sweep, they could conceivably choose all three, before any other nation had a chance to select any one of them.

I don't think this would be very bright to do, since the host nations seems to have a tacit arrangement to be sure many of their skaters, particularly the lower ranked skaters, get chosen by other host federations. I think there would be payback if the US or any other Federation chose two or three of the top three seeds for their home event.

hockeyfan228 said:
Technically, if she can do a 2A, steps to a 3T, and a simple combo in the SP, and an axel-type jump in her COI exhitibion program (extended to meet the time requirements), she could bypass US Nats qualifications by skating in the GP that conflicts with her regionals.
If I weren't hurting so bad for MK, that would be a pretty hilarious scenario.

I will score her Skate America LP:

1A -- 0.8 GOE -2.00 Total 0.4
Next 6 jumping passes -- 0.0
Sp1 -- 1.2
FSp1 -- 1.7
CSp1 -- 1.3
CoSp1 -- 2.0
SlSt1 -- 2.0
SpSt2 -- 3.1

TES -- 11.7

Last edited:
It seems to me that the U.S. has quite a few unseeded skaters that would be popular choices here but might not be in demand somewhere else. Skaters like Bebe Liang, Alissa Czisny, Katy Taylor and Christine Zukowski (assuming she's moving up to seniors this year) might go "undrafted" and USFS could add them to the roster as extras. Is that right?

If the US gets a high draft pick, they should go for Kimmie and Yu-na Kim.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily Hughes is guaranteed two GP events, based on a top 12 World finish, so don't expect to see her at SA. I'd bet on the US picking Katy Taylor. She is guaranteed just one GP event (due to her 4CC gold medal), so if the US gives her one event, she'd wind up with two.

I think Christine Zukowski will do one more year on the JGP circuit before going up to Seniors, based on her 10th place at 4CC.

So if the US picks Kimmie and Katy, who else will go to SA? Maybe BeBe Liang, who is #18 on the Seasonal Best list; she medaled at 4CC, and may get a second event this season.

The big question remains: will the USFS pick Sasha?

chuckm said:
The big question remains: will the USFS pick Sasha?
It sems like there must be some sort of protocol to follow here. Sasha is our "leading lady," as Michelle has been in previous years. I think just out of courtesy they would at least ask her. Then if she said no by Monday, they could go with plan B.

If she said she was undecided, then that would give them an out. They could say that they had no choice but to assume she's not going, and go in a different direction.

This is a big burden to put on Kimmie, if she turns out to be the star feature of Skate America. USFS will be cranking up the hype machine for sure.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The selections have already been made. The ISU will release them Monday.