ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2006-2007 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2006-2007

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
chuckm said:
We each have our own opinion, but I will say one thing: I don't "look forward" to skaters losing or "missing the GP final" the way you do. I simply look forward to my favorites skating well. Your brand of schadenfreud will at some point come back to bite you in the butt.

And as for being wrong, you have on so many occasions littered these boards with hogwash and gossip and have had to be corrected by a presentation of FACTS.

I am referring to being right or wrong on your constant bold forecasts of Weir successes which never come true, and his soon to be proven superiority to his more accomplished competitors which never come true. Basicaly I could go through every event last year. :laugh:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have always HOPED for Weir to do well. I haven't ever predicted that he will. I think he has all the goods to win his GP events. If he is healthy and skates at his best, there is no doubt that he has the ability to win them.

You apparently call that "predicting" a win, I call it hoping for the best.

I still remember the 2004-2005 GP where Weir won two gold medals and a silver in his 3 events, losing only to Plushenko at CoR. He has shown he can do it, and here's hoping he does it again this season.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
All the top skaters have the ability to win if they skate their best, that does not make Weir any different then any of the top men, or distinguish him from any of them in anyway. Lambiel, Buttle, Sandhu, Takahashi, Oda, even Lysacek could win events by skating their best, especialy if Plushenko is not in the field. They all make enough mistakes that any skater skating cleanly and including a quad will probably win, since the odds are none of the others doing it if one already did.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
slutskayafan, you are the one who makes the out-and-out predictions. I wish my favorite skaters well, and you like to poke sticks at that, because my favorites aren't the same as yours.

You are very, very predictable, and very tiresome. And sometimes, an obnoxious blowhard. Sorry, but that's the way of it. :yes:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alsace said:
In the USFSA article, they offer explanations for Cohen, B/A, and Weir. However, Kwan is not mentioned. If the top 75 in ISU ranking are to be offered a spot, why no explanation for her absence?

http://www.usfsa.org/event_story.asp?id=34764

It isn't the top 75 in ISU Ranking, it's the top 75 scores on the Seasonal Best List, which is compiled from last year's competitions. Kwan didn't compete internationally last season, so she's not on the list. In any case, Kwan is still injured and unable to compete, or she would have been selected by the USFS for Skate America. GP hosts can pick any three of their own skaters in each discipline, and they don't have to conform to any rules.

gkelly

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Oda is consistent but still trying to find a style.

I'd say that Oda has a style but it's very boyish. Served him well in juniors, but he'll need a more mature style to succeed in seniors.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
It isn't the top 75 in ISU Ranking, it's the top 75 scores on the Seasonal Best List, which is compiled from last year's competitions. Kwan didn't compete internationally last season, so she's not on the list. In any case, Kwan is still injured and unable to compete, or she would have been selected by the USFS for Skate America. GP hosts can pick any three of their own skaters in each discipline, and they don't have to conform to any rules.
Argh, I read that doc numerous times, but got that wrong. I'll go back and check the "None of the above" and ISU top 75 against the 75 seasonal best scores.

I made the edits in blue:
http://goldenskate.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194281&postcount=130

(Certainly explains Roxana Luca for CoC)

Frankly, I don't think Kwan would have been offered a spot in any case. USFS could have chosen her for Skate America, but didn't. Skate Canada was not happy when she pulled from GP a couple of years ago, and even if she were skating well at COI and jumping, I don't see why any other host nation would take the risk and choose her and face having to replace her. She's not the draw in Europe or Asia that she is in the US.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
Frankly, I don't think Kwan would have been offered a spot in any case.

As you say, I also didn't think that was even an option. Why would they do that?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Kwan had been healthy, I'm sure she would have been offered a spot at Skate America, as she is a sure-fire audience draw, even now. And she has never itched to do any more than SA since the 2001-2002 season anyway.

All of the ladies at SA would have gotten two assignments anyway, so it wouldn't have been taking an opportunity away from Katy or Emily.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Respectfully I believe the "health" was the issue too. That is why I thought no one was going to conceder it, even if it would have taken something away this time. I don't think she would have even taken the offer seriously.

Now I am really curios about Emily, with the talk about her "growing stage" and how that might / will effect her skate. There are bigger and better interest - like I am sure to be following the men a little more then I have in the past - but that is something that can be pointed out as being even more impressive about the older ladies stickin' in there. That gives me even more respect for what someone like Irina or Nicole had to compensate for.

If people just put a little more thought into understanding how talented and determined some of these athletes were, I think there would be a lot less flack for the older ladies staying in and the sport would be more popular.

JAT, they should call the Men, Gentlemen if they are going to call the Women Ladies.:p :laugh:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
SeaniBu said:
As you say, I also didn't think that was even an option. Why would they do that?
Since she met none of the criteria for other host nations to extend an invitation, only USFS could have invited her for Skate America, since host nations can choose whom they wish. They didn't.

Alsace said:
In the USFSA article, they offer explanations for Cohen, B/A, and Weir.http://www.usfsa.org/event_story.asp?id=34764
Does anyone think that Weir's stated reason for declining Skate America -- that his coach would be busy preparing other skaters for qualifying events -- was a little unconvincing? It seems like if he really wanted to do it they could have worked something out.

As for Belbin and Agosto, I guess the real problem with Skate America is that it comes too early in the season. People who are busy touring all summer, and who have other opportunities and obligations as well, just don't have time to get their new programs together.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Weir's been touring too, and as I said earlier in this thread, he's had first option for Skate America every year for the past 3 years, and hasn't wanted it. I don't see any intrigue in this at all.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
SeaniBu said:

Kwan's name is recognisable in the US... which means $$$... who cares if she wins it or not... let's sell tickets...

just a thought as to why some would think she'd get an invite to SA :)

chuckm said:
Weir's been touring too, and as I said earlier in this thread, he's had first option for Skate America every year for the past 3 years, and hasn't wanted it. I don't see any intrigue in this at all.
Not intrigue, just a funny reason to state on the USFS web site. They could have just said that Johnny opted for later events, or they could have lumped him in with Sasha and B&A and cited his heavy post-Olympic schedule. Or they could have said nothing.

It just seemed funny to me to put it on his coach.

Last edited: