Tanguero John Curry | Golden Skate

Tanguero John Curry

Olderbear

Rinkside
I watched this yesterday. Wasn't he something? I also watched some of his others. His interpretation and choreography were second to none.

gio - Thank you. That is what skating should be about. His Stravinsky was absolutely perfect. He is what I mean when I talk about being one with the music. He's not selling that skate to an audience but they are engrossed in it. IMO, no one but no one can compare with Curry. It's pure British passion!

I was amazed that Peter Martins was involved. He's the Artistic Director of the New York City Ballet since the death of G.Ballanchine.

I thought JoJo and he handled that old chestnut (Jalousie) very well and how nice it was to see a Dance/Pairs routine without crotch lifts.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Martins was encouraged by Balanchine to choreograph, which he did, beginning in 1977 and continuing to this day. He was named Ballet Master in 1981, during Balanchine's last years, become Co-Ballet Master-in-Chief with Jerome Robbins around the time of Balanchine's death -- Balanchine had suffered from Kreutzfeld/Jakob disease and had a long hospitalization at Roosevelt Hospital, close to Lincoln Center -- and became sole Ballet Master in Chief in 1990, after Jerome Robbins resigned from the Company.

This was a very early piece for him, choreographed in 1978, the year after he started to choreograph for any surface, and it premiered at the Felt Forum in NYC. In this list of dances to Stravinsky catalogued by Roehampton University, the "Principal Dancers" are listed as John Curry and JoJo Starbuck :)

http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/stravinsky/full_dances.asp?start=601

Balanchine used the same music for his "Tango" in 1982, for the second Stravinsky Festival, and Martins did a version for NYCB in 1983, for Heather Watts and Bart Cook, who were wonderful in it, but they weren't Curry and Starbuck.

In my opinion, Curry's masterpiece for ice was his Afternoon of a Faun, which he choreographed for himself and Cathy Foulkes, who also danced with the Boston Ballet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym2MsVtLyvQ&search=john curry

Last edited: