World Champion most likely to defend their title in 2007? | Golden Skate

World Champion most likely to defend their title in 2007?

Champion most likely to defend World title in 2007?

• Pang and Tong

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • Stephane Lambiel

Votes: 66 55.9%
  • Denkova and Stayvinski

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Kimmie Meissner

Votes: 22 18.6%

• Total voters

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
We have a thread already of which World Champion you would most like to see defend their World title. Which Champion do you think is most "likely" to defend their World title next year?

CDMM1991

Medalist
I would definitely say Stephane Lambiel, because he doesn't appear to be winding down anytime soon, and because he's been winning sans-Plushenko competitions quite consistently.

Pang and Tong also have a chance, but they are going to have to stay very clean, because the Zhangs will be RIGHT there.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I predict Lambiel's will allow him to make his triple axel more consistent, and maximize his spinning ability better under COP. If he does so nobody will have a chance of touching him, unless Plushenko returns of course. Pang and Tong will have a tough battle with the other two Chinese teams, I just really hope they can make it, they atleast now look in a position that they are comeptitive with them, where after the Olympics it looked like all hope was lost since their nearly best there was judged worse then very sluggish performances by their teammates. I doubt Meissner will repeat with Asada and Kim on the scene. Denkova/Stayvinski will also have a tough time, Belbin/Agosto will be stronger next year then they were this year I predict, and if the French return I would not be surprised to see them have a big year as well.

I agree with that assessment. Anything can happen, but Lambiel does seem to be markedly the best in men's, while in the other three disciplines there are several skaters/teams at the top who could contend.

A battle between Lambiel and Joubert, and one male skater from among Asia, US, Canada and Belgium as of now. But there are the GPs to watch and see if Lambiel's knee is holding up, Joubert can repeat a good skate. still too early to predict.

Joe

swissmiss

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
A battle between Lambiel and Joubert, and one male skater from among Asia, US, Canada and Belgium as of now. But there are the GPs to watch and see if Lambiel's knee is holding up, Joubert can repeat a good skate. still too early to predict.

Joe

I agree, Joe. And now we've got Lambiel's back problem to consider, too. If he can make it to SC, I'm looking forward to the matchup between him, Buttle, Takahashi, and Weir. Things will get very interesting if those four plus Oda and Joubert make it to the GP final.

swissmiss said:
Things will get very interesting if those four plus Oda and Joubert make it to the GP final.
I don't see how Lysacek can miss the GP finals. At Skate America his only competition appears to be Oda (unless Lindemann or Van der Perren surprise), and in Cup of China has strongest opponents are Sandhu and Li.

Mathman said:
I don't see how Lysacek can miss the GP finals. At Skate America his only competition appears to be Oda (unless Lindemann or Van der Perren surprise), and in Cup of China has strongest opponents are Sandhu and Li.
Van der Perren was super last year in SA until the LP which wasn't terrible but he couldn't keep the ball rolling.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I am surprised Pang/Tong dont have more votes, and that Meissner have so many more than them. I would give them better odds to beat a past-their-
primes Shen/Zhou and Zhang/Zhang who they have started to challenge again, then Meissner holding off Asada and Kim next year personaly.

Statistically, the odds favor Lambiel repeating more so than Meissner, reflecting the fact that the ladies' field has been more competitive in recent history than men's.

Since 1989 only two ladies have been able successfully to defend their titles. Kristi Yamaguchi won in 1991 and 1992, and Michelle Kwan won squeakers in 2000 and 2001.

In contrast, Kurt Browning won in 1989, 1990 and 1991, Elvis Stoiko won in 1994 and repeated in 1995, Alexei Yagudin had a hat trick, 1998, 1999 and 2000, it was Plushenko in 2003 and 2004, and now Lambiel in 2005 and 2006.

slutskayafan21 said:
I am surprised Pang/Tong dont have more votes, and that Meissner have so many more than them. I would give them better odds to beat a past-their-
primes Shen/Zhou and Zhang/Zhang who they have started to challenge again, then Meissner holding off Asada and Kim next year personaly.
You put the Topic Title in the singular, so posters had to reply to only one selection.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
You put the Topic Title in the singular, so posters had to reply to only one selection.

Joe

True that, but I would believe that a skater who has the 2nd most believing they are their first bet to repeat, would have the 2nd most votes if you opened it up to vote for the 2 you think have the best chance to repeat, dont you think? ;)

April

Rinkside
Stephane Lambiel gets my vote. He's got spin. He's got jumps. He's got presentation skills. He's a true competitor. He's the total package, if he stays healthy.

moi

Rinkside
kimmie out?

Kimmie Meisner is great, amazingly talented, artistic, springy. But the way the women keep coming out of nowhere is there really a shot of her doing it again? There's sasha cohen, mao asada, joannie rochette, and of course all the other japanese and u.s. ladies. alissa cizney?. Skating in the womens division has really intensified! I wouldn't place a bet on anyone in particular to win worlds this year! Everyone is so talented that it's impossible to say, it'll all depend on the day! Not saying that Kimmie won't be this year's champion though, she's young and energetic with as much a shot as anybody. All I know is that I sure wouldn't want to be competing at world's this year!
wondering...i haven't heard much about kimmie lately, does anybody happen to know if she's planning on competing at skate canada or skate america?
anyways, peace out.....
<3 skating4ever<3

Oscilla

On the Ice
Kimmie will be competing at Skate America. Mao Asada, Mai Asada and Miki Ando will also compete there. :)