Your HOPES for the Grand Prix Final Podium | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your HOPES for the Grand Prix Final Podium

Arianne

On the Ice
Well, since Tugba only has 1 GP event, the chances of her getting to the final are slim to none. Gotta love her though!

Ladies: Alisa, Carolina, Kimmie
Men: Stephane, Evan, Johnny
Pairs: Inoue/Baldwin, S/S, Zigorska/Shuidek
Dance: Drobiasko/Vanagas, Dubreil/Lauzon, Tanith & Ben

Sorry for any spelling errors! BTW, does anyone know if Nam/Leftiris have a GP event? What about Shen and Zao?

waxel

Final Flight
Okay, I cheated a little...

Men- Weir, Lambiel, Joubert, (Buttle, Mabee)
Ladies- Rochette, Mao Asada, Miessner, (Czissny, Liang)
Pairs- Shen & Zhao, Marcoux & Buntin, Dube & Davison, (Nari Nam & Leftharis)
Dance- Drobiazko & Vanagas, Kerr & Kerr, Dubreuil & Lauzon, (Davis & White)

Lanie

On the Ice
Arianne said:
Well, since Tugba only has 1 GP event, the chances of her getting to the final are slim to none. Gotta love her though!

Ladies: Alisa, Carolina, Kimmie
Men: Stephane, Evan, Johnny
Pairs: Inoue/Baldwin, S/S, Zigorska/Shuidek
Dance: Drobiasko/Vanagas, Dubreil/Lauzon, Tanith & Ben

Sorry for any spelling errors! BTW, does anyone know if Nam/Leftiris have a GP event? What about Shen and Zao?

NNN/Themi have one event, Skate America, and Shen and Zhao have two - I forget which!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Arianne said:

Nam and partner are scheduled to do SA. Furthermore, skaters have qualified for the GPF by doing one event before -- Plushy did it, and so did MK -- so I suppose that Tugba could do it also (especially if the ISU realized what a draw she could be)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
There's a new points scheme this year:

1st-15pts
2nd-13pts
3rd-11pts
4th-9pts
5th-7pts
6th-5pts
7th-4pts
8th-3pts

I think these changes make it less likely that a skater/team will participate in and win one event and qualify, although if there are multiple withdrawals, that is still possible. First, there is no longer a three-point spread between 1st and 2nd. Second, any skater/team with a 4th and 5th, or 3rd and 6th, or anything higher would qualify over a skater/team that had one victory.

Shen/Zhao are invited to Cup of China and NHK.

Alexei'sgirl

Rinkside
Men - Joubert, Buttle, Lysacek
Ladies - Meissner, Suguri, Rochette
Pairs - Shen/Zhao, Zagorska/Siudek, Nari Nam/Leftheris
Dance - Delobel/Schoenfelder, Belbin/Agosto, Dubreuil/Lauzon

Well, since we are HOPING:

Ladies: Kim, Asada, and Liang
Men: Weir, Sandhu, and Takahashi
no particular hopes re pairs, dance exc for NNN/Lefty

ETA: Attyfan, do you seriously think that Tugba would be a draw or was that an in-joke?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Spun Silver said:
ETA: Attyfan, do you seriously think that Tugba would be a draw or was that an in-joke?

I know you didn't ask me but I too - providing there was no joke intended - think she could be a big draw. Coming from the background she does and how "daring" it is for her to be in the sport of tiny outfits and ice. The human interest factor is really big with her. It is rather remarkable how good she really is and that her passion for the sport has put aside the cultural barrier. So more from the "just cool that.." factor she has a lot of interest. JMO

Hope I didn't step on any toes there.:)

Skye

On the Ice
SeaniBu said:
I know you didn't ask me but I too - providing there was no joke intended - think she could be a big draw. Coming from the background she does and how "daring" it is for her to be in the sport of tiny outfits and ice. The human interest factor is really big with her. It is rather remarkable how good she really is and that her passion for the sport has put aside the cultural barrier. So more from the "just cool that.." factor she has a lot of interest. JMO

Hope I didn't step on any toes there.:)

My first impression of Tugba was a "less-talented J-Ro look-alike". Without the fairy tale background (which I didn't get to see until digging up Youtube, out of curiosity over the hassle) she just seems like a sweet girl, but nothing "daring" nor fascinating. The western media frequenty portray Turkish women as secluded and oppressed. But the last time I visited the country, I could see more women in tanktops (smoking cigarettes at beach cafes) than those wearing hijabs. I guess it's just the fact that I don't like personal factors overshadowing the actual performance. Why should the audience have to care how much Katy Taylor has to save towards her pink hummer?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Men: Gold-Lambiel, Silver-Buttle, Bronze-Othman
Ladies: Gold-Suguri, Silver-Volchkova, Bronze-Rochette
Pairs: Gold-Pang/Tong, Silver-Dube/Davison, Bronze-Marcoux/Buntin
Dance: Gold-Delobel/Schoenfelder, Silver-Drobiazko/Vanagas, Bronze- Dubreuil/Lauzon

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not sanguine about Tugba's chances in the GP.

Her SP program jump content: 3T+2T (-GOE), 3S, 2A

Her FS program jump content:
3T+2T+2L, 2F+2T, 3S+2T, 3T, 3S, 2A.

She doesn't have triple lutz, triple flip or triple loop. She has mostly level4 spins and spiral sequence, but the GOE on her non-jump moves is mostly 0s.

She does consistently land her jumps, but the difficulty just isn't there.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
slutskayafan21 said:
Men: Gold-Lambiel, Silver-Buttle, Bronze-Othman
Ladies: Gold-Suguri, Silver-Volchkova, Bronze-Rochette
Pairs: Gold-Pang/Tong, Silver-Dube/Davison, Bronze-Marcoux/Buntin
Dance: Gold-Delobel/Schoenfelder, Silver-Drobiazko/Vanagas, Bronze- Dubreuil/Lauzon

Jamal Othman didn't get any GP events, so he can't be on the GPF podium.

With the exception of Pang/Tong, Suguri and Drobiazko/Vanagas, all your other choices are not on my "hope" list.

gio

Medalist
chuckm said:
She doesn't have triple lutz, triple flip or triple loop. She has mostly level4 spins and spiral sequence, but the GOE on her non-jump moves is mostly 0s.

Hope that for next seasons she will have also the other triples. It will be an historical result for Turkey to be in the top 10 at Worlds. And about next season GP, it is just good that she has a spot. Good luck Tugba! :clap:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I can't do this. Like for the Olympics, I have about eight choices for the Men's podium, and a handful for each of the others :)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
My hope for Karademir is that she gets the scores she deserves, maintains a personal best that qualifies her for the future, and adds to her ISU rating.

Assuming they are all skating this year, I'm hoping that Berntsson, Zelenka, and Othman are in line to replace any skaters who need to withdraw.

BTW, every pair that competed in one of the qualifying events last season had a top 75 personal best :)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hmmmmm

Dance: Melissa and Denis, Tanith & Ben, and then whomever else... lol

Men: Evan!, Stephane, and Ryan Bradley (hey you said hopes!)

not sure about ladies or pairs yet...

hockeyfan228 said:
My hope for Karademir is that she gets the scores she deserves, maintains a personal best that qualifies her for the future, and adds to her ISU rating.

Assuming they are both skating this year, I'm hoping that Berntsson, Zelenka, and Othman are in line to replace any skaters who need to withdraw.

BTW, every pair that competed in one of the qualifying events last season had a top 75 personal best :)
I'm going to miss Berntsson, Zelenka and a healthy Othman, this GPs. Maybe they will show them at Euros.

Joe

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
If CCTV5 from China continues to broadcast the same amount of skating, they should be shown over the Internet and be available for download.

Kasey

Medalist
In any order:

Ladies: Meier, Meissner, Sokolova

Men: Griazev, Weir, Joubert

Pairs: Petrova/Tikhonov....otherwise, realy don't care too much

Dance: Delobel/Shoenfelder, Virtue/Moir, Gregory/Petukhov