Final Flight
Men-Lysaceck, Takahashi, Lambiel
Pairs, Shen/Zhao, Pang/Tong, Inoue/Baldwin
Ladies Suguri, Asada, Meissner
Dance Drobiazko/Vanagas, Belbin/Agosto, Denkova/Stayviski

boggartlaura

On the Ice
inloveagain said:
My first impression of Tugba was a "less-talented J-Ro look-alike". Without the fairy tale background (which I didn't get to see until digging up Youtube, out of curiosity over the hassle) she just seems like a sweet girl, but nothing "daring" nor fascinating. The western media frequenty portray Turkish women as secluded and oppressed. But the last time I visited the country, I could see more women in tanktops (smoking cigarettes at beach cafes) than those wearing hijabs. I guess it's just the fact that I don't like personal factors overshadowing the actual performance. Why should the audience have to care how much Katy Taylor has to save towards her pink hummer?
:clap: :rock:

lisadotdash

Rinkside
Kwanford Wife said:
I hope that someone, ANYONE catches my attention so that I even care by the GFP...

My only hope is that Emily Hughes is using this time to take off 15 pounds. If she does not, she might be finished, but, given what's been given her, I think she will be there. She has what it takes, no question. It's her competitive spirit and her raw talent.

However, if she's stupid and eating all sorts of donuts, ice cream, sugared soft drinks, then Kimmie will be the only American.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
lisadotdash said:
However, if she's stupid and eating all sorts of donuts, ice cream, sugared soft drinks, then Kimmie will be the only American.

and it's statements and thoughts like these that get young women to thinking they need to starve themselves to "look right"

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
lisadotdash said:
There is also Alissa!

euterpe

Medalist
Men: Weir, Lysacek, Takahashi
Ladies: Meissner, Suguri, Taylor
Pairs: Shen/Zhao, Pang/Tong, Inoue/Baldwin
Dance: Belbin/Agosto, Drobiazko/Vanagas, Denkova/Staviiski

Vash01

Medalist
Here are my HOPES:

Ladies: Mao, Kimmie, Carolina
Men:Weir, Takahashi, Griazev
Pairs: Don't know, but I would like to see Inoue-Baldwin on the podium
Ice dance: Denkova-Staviyski, Delobel-Schoenfelder, Domnina-Shabalin

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I didnt know Griazev had so many fans. Personaly I find his skating pedestrian and frivilous, and shudder to think of Russia's future in mens skating if he is their leading hope. Just my own viewpoint though.

waxel

Final Flight
Interesting that Johnny Weir inspires rabid controversy... and apparently equally rabid support. Almost everyone in this thread has put him on their "wish Podium." I really hope he can concentrate and put together a solid season. I think perhaps last year the hype was too much to cope with.

inloveagain, I agree. Don't give a hoot about Katy's pink Hummer. (Or her skating.)

lisadotdash, thank you for having the courage to talk about Emily's weight. Folks, she's a bit heavy ... it's just a fact. I do not for a minute encourage the anorexic Hollywood standard of body image. Far from it. But you can look fit AND curvy (Rochette, Arakawa, Slutskaya and a healthy Kwan for instance) and still be aesthetically pleasing... which, sorry, is (just one) area where Emily Hughes could stand improvement. You're kidding yourself if you think it isn't a factor... maybe it shouldn't be... but it is.

euterpe

Medalist
Emily is also quite tall for a skater (5'6") and that can be hazardous to jumping (Kostner is an example). Don't look for her to trim down, though. I have a feeling that she wouldn't be any better as a skater if she did take off 10-15 lbs, and she might even be worse off. What Emily has is her natural body type and it may not be right for her to fight it.

Zazanuka

Rinkside
Gold for Asada, Sandhu, Denkova/Stayviski, Alyona Savchenko
Silver for Kostner, Weir, Drobiazko/Vanagas, Zhang/Zhang
Bronze for Gedevanishvili, Takahashi, Delobel/Shoenfelder, Obertas/Slavnov

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
waxel said:
lisadotdash, thank you for having the courage to talk about Emily's weight. Folks, she's a bit heavy ... it's just a fact. I do not for a minute encourage the anorexic Hollywood standard of body image. Far from it. But you can look fit AND curvy (Rochette, Arakawa, Slutskaya and a healthy Kwan for instance) and still be aesthetically pleasing... which, sorry, is (just one) area where Emily Hughes could stand improvement. You're kidding yourself if you think it isn't a factor... maybe it shouldn't be... but it is.

I'd take Emily's bodysize anyday

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
I'd take Emily's bodysize anyday
There is a big difference between being fit in life and being fit to be on the ice. Both Hughes sisters have a body type typical for many Jewish women - great hips for child bearing, but they do look heavy on the ice. Though I agree that loosing weight may not be a right solution if that is just not how your body was meant to be.

Lynn226

On the Ice
Men: Sandhu, van der Perren, Buttle/Lambiel

Women: Suguri, Czisny/Hawker/Nakano/Rochette

Pairs: Shen & Zhao, Zagorska & Siudek, Marcoux & Buntin

Dance: Kerr & Kerr/Gregory & Petukhov/Lefebvre & Markov/Belbin & Agosto

Somebody new wins me over almost every season, so I'm always open to an addition to my list.

euterpe

Medalist
Ptichka said:
There is a big difference between being fit in life and being fit to be on the ice. Both Hughes sisters have a body type typical for many Jewish women - great hips for child bearing, but they do look heavy on the ice. Though I agree that loosing weight may not be a right solution if that is just not how your body was meant to be.

Ummm, no. Their mother is Jewish, but she is not built like Emily and Sarah---Mrs. Hughes is petite and very slim. Emily and Sarah take after their non-Jewish father, who is tall and portly.

Kasey

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
I didnt know Griazev had so many fans. Personaly I find his skating pedestrian and frivilous, and shudder to think of Russia's future in mens skating if he is their leading hope. Just my own viewpoint though.

The fact that he has "so many fans" shows that there is perhaps something to his skating that some people like and appreciate. I think some could consider Slutskaya's skating "pedestrian" (among other things). Different strokes for different folks. I think Russia's future in men's skating is in much better shape right now than in women's.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
There is a big difference between being fit in life and being fit to be on the ice.

perhaps, but I don't think she's so chunky that it effects all that negatively on her skating... it's not like she's an elephant out there...