Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Your HOPES for the Grand Prix Final Podium

Quote Originally Posted by lisadotdash
    However, if she's stupid and eating all sorts of donuts, ice cream, sugared soft drinks, then Kimmie will be the only American.

and it's statements and thoughts like these that get young women to thinking they need to starve themselves to "look right"

Quote Originally Posted by lisadotdash
    However, if she's stupid and eating all sorts of donuts, ice cream, sugared soft drinks, then Kimmie will be the only American.
    There is also Alissa!

Custom Title
    Men: Weir, Lysacek, Takahashi
    Ladies: Meissner, Suguri, Taylor
    Pairs: Shen/Zhao, Pang/Tong, Inoue/Baldwin
    Dance: Belbin/Agosto, Drobiazko/Vanagas, Denkova/Staviiski

Banned
    Could you imagine if any one of our "wish podiums" actualy came true 100%?

Custom Title
    Here are my HOPES:

Ladies: Mao, Kimmie, Carolina
    Men:Weir, Takahashi, Griazev
    Pairs: Don't know, but I would like to see Inoue-Baldwin on the podium
    Ice dance: Denkova-Staviyski, Delobel-Schoenfelder, Domnina-Shabalin

Banned
    I didnt know Griazev had so many fans. Personaly I find his skating pedestrian and frivilous, and shudder to think of Russia's future in mens skating if he is their leading hope. Just my own viewpoint though.

Custom Title
    Interesting that Johnny Weir inspires rabid controversy... and apparently equally rabid support. Almost everyone in this thread has put him on their "wish Podium." I really hope he can concentrate and put together a solid season. I think perhaps last year the hype was too much to cope with.

inloveagain, I agree. Don't give a hoot about Katy's pink Hummer. (Or her skating.)

lisadotdash, thank you for having the courage to talk about Emily's weight. Folks, she's a bit heavy ... it's just a fact. I do not for a minute encourage the anorexic Hollywood standard of body image. Far from it. But you can look fit AND curvy (Rochette, Arakawa, Slutskaya and a healthy Kwan for instance) and still be aesthetically pleasing... which, sorry, is (just one) area where Emily Hughes could stand improvement. You're kidding yourself if you think it isn't a factor... maybe it shouldn't be... but it is.

Custom Title
    Emily is also quite tall for a skater (5'6") and that can be hazardous to jumping (Kostner is an example). Don't look for her to trim down, though. I have a feeling that she wouldn't be any better as a skater if she did take off 10-15 lbs, and she might even be worse off. What Emily has is her natural body type and it may not be right for her to fight it.

Tripping on the Podium
    Gold for Asada, Sandhu, Denkova/Stayviski, Alyona Savchenko
    Silver for Kostner, Weir, Drobiazko/Vanagas, Zhang/Zhang
    Bronze for Gedevanishvili, Takahashi, Delobel/Shoenfelder, Obertas/Slavnov

Quote Originally Posted by waxel
    lisadotdash, thank you for having the courage to talk about Emily's weight. Folks, she's a bit heavy ... it's just a fact. I do not for a minute encourage the anorexic Hollywood standard of body image. Far from it. But you can look fit AND curvy (Rochette, Arakawa, Slutskaya and a healthy Kwan for instance) and still be aesthetically pleasing... which, sorry, is (just one) area where Emily Hughes could stand improvement. You're kidding yourself if you think it isn't a factor... maybe it shouldn't be... but it is.
    I'd take Emily's bodysize anyday

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    I'd take Emily's bodysize anyday
    There is a big difference between being fit in life and being fit to be on the ice. Both Hughes sisters have a body type typical for many Jewish women - great hips for child bearing, but they do look heavy on the ice. Though I agree that loosing weight may not be a right solution if that is just not how your body was meant to be.

Custom Title
    Men: Sandhu, van der Perren, Buttle/Lambiel

Women: Suguri, Czisny/Hawker/Nakano/Rochette

Pairs: Shen & Zhao, Zagorska & Siudek, Marcoux & Buntin

Dance: Kerr & Kerr/Gregory & Petukhov/Lefebvre & Markov/Belbin & Agosto

Somebody new wins me over almost every season, so I'm always open to an addition to my list.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    There is a big difference between being fit in life and being fit to be on the ice. Both Hughes sisters have a body type typical for many Jewish women - great hips for child bearing, but they do look heavy on the ice. Though I agree that loosing weight may not be a right solution if that is just not how your body was meant to be.
    Ummm, no. Their mother is Jewish, but she is not built like Emily and Sarah---Mrs. Hughes is petite and very slim. Emily and Sarah take after their non-Jewish father, who is tall and portly.

Skating Freak Barbie
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    I didnt know Griazev had so many fans. Personaly I find his skating pedestrian and frivilous, and shudder to think of Russia's future in mens skating if he is their leading hope. Just my own viewpoint though.
    The fact that he has "so many fans" shows that there is perhaps something to his skating that some people like and appreciate. I think some could consider Slutskaya's skating "pedestrian" (among other things). Different strokes for different folks. I think Russia's future in men's skating is in much better shape right now than in women's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    There is a big difference between being fit in life and being fit to be on the ice.
    perhaps, but I don't think she's so chunky that it effects all that negatively on her skating... it's not like she's an elephant out there...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast