Your HOPES for the Grand Prix Final Podium | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Your HOPES for the Grand Prix Final Podium

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
Ummm, no. Their mother is Jewish, but she is not built like Emily and Sarah---Mrs. Hughes is petite and very slim.
So was my mother and so is my sister. I wasn't so lucky. There are a lot of genes running around that skip parents.

Kasey said:
The fact that he has "so many fans" shows that there is perhaps something to his skating that some people like and appreciate. I think some could consider Slutskaya's skating "pedestrian" (among other things). Different strokes for different folks. I think Russia's future in men's skating is in much better shape right now than in women's.
Kasey - I think it is easier to judge the number of fans outside the country of the skater and away from those who only like the skaters of one country.

Sasha Cohen and Johnny Weir have large fan bases outside of the US as does Evgeni and Yagudin outside of Russia. I would say that Kwan and Slutskaya lost some of their international fan base when Sasha came on the scene.

But you are absolutely correct about different strokes for different folks, especially in countries with a lot of diveristy.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
waxel said:
Far from it. But you can look fit AND curvy (Rochette, Arakawa, Slutskaya and a healthy Kwan for instance) and still be aesthetically pleasing...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What planet are you on???!!! Exactly which part of Shizuka do you think is curvy? i think she's extremely slim and not Curvy in the slightest. Rochette looks more athletic but never in a million years curvy - same with Michelle. As for Irina she also has an athletic build, the only curves on Irina's body are her slightly bowed legs!! All of these women live, in person are not, even in anyone's wildest dreams, curvy.

Ant

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
antmanb, ;) I think your opinion is definitely up for personal opinion, and personally I think you are only looking at one or two areas of "curve." It is only a guess, but by what was just said I would be lead to belive the only skaters to possibly fit your definition of "curvy" would be Katarina and Nicole. That's fine if you feel the way you do of course.:agree: I just agree with waxel more then you.

I also want to mention that I hope / wish Sara Meier and Carolina Kostner a high ranking in the GP. And on the same note as above, those two have curvy waistlines IMO. Maybe on the light side of meaning, but they aren't Kate Moss either.

Niza

Rinkside
Men: Weir/Oda/ Sasha Uspenski
Women: Kim/Asada/Meissner
Pairs: Obertas/Slavnov, Dube/Davison, Spassova/Todorov :p

Dance: don't care

antmanb

Record Breaker
SeaniBu said:
antmanb, ;) I think your opinion is definitely up for personal opinion, and personally I think you are only looking at one or two areas of "curve." It is only a guess, but by what was just said I would be lead to belive the only skaters to possibly fit your definition of "curvy" would be Katarina and Nicole. That's fine if you feel the way you do of course.:agree: I just agree with waxel more then you.

I also want to mention that I hope / wish Sara Meier and Carolina Kostner a high ranking in the GP. And on the same note as above, those two have curvy waistlines IMO. Maybe on the light side of meaning, but they aren't Kate Moss either.

Really? I always think of Marilyn Monroe as the personification of "curvy". Shizuka in particualr looks pretty straight up and down from her ankles to her shoulders i don't see any curves there, and Kostner?! She really seems to have a very straight up and down body too...i guess it all is opinion but in a day and age where all the "models" have 12 year old boy bodies i just double took when i saw a list of extremely thin skaters being remarked on as curvy!

Ant

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Ladies: Fumie, Bebe, Katy
Men: Evan, Kevin van der Perrin, and anyone not named Johnny or Jeff (sorry)
Pairs: Shen/Zhao, Inoue Baldwin
Dance: Gregory/Petukov

BravesSkateFan said:
Ladies: Fumie, Bebe, Katy
Men: Evan, Kevin van der Perrin, and anyone not named Johnny or Jeff (sorry)
Pairs: Shen/Zhao, Inoue Baldwin
Dance: Gregory/Petukov
BSF - Somehow I haven't seen you on GS in a while. I've missed you. Have you been away?

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Really? I always think of Marilyn Monroe as the personification of "curvy". Shizuka in particualr looks pretty straight up and down from her ankles to her shoulders i don't see any curves there, and Kostner?! She really seems to have a very straight up and down body too...i guess it all is opinion but in a day and age where all the "models" have 12 year old boy bodies i just double took when i saw a list of extremely thin skaters being remarked on as curvy!

Ant

I am so glad you took this as a simple difference of opinion. Thank you:agree: Really is just a matter of "from one extreme to the other" and what one has put in that category is up to them.

Shi-chan, not AS curvy but not the figure of a little boy (I would feel sorry for a boy like that), I see hips even in this pic.
http://www.hwbhost.com/images/ph_america_camp005.jpg

Carolina well again I definitely see hips and nice curves.
http://www.hwbhost.com/images/carolinakostnerphotoshoot6075.jpg

And even thought Meier is on the same side of this as Shizuka, I would feel really sorry for any boy who had hips like that.
http://www.hwbhost.com/images/sarahredblkolyend..jpg

As far as "extremely thin skaters" I would not put them into that category when there are Maos and Sashas that continue that extreme. And if I were to use one as a standard for the term "curvy" like Marilyn Monroe (rather than one side of the spectrum) I don't see any FS like that. But saying Marilyn Monroe to Shizuka are the "group", I see "curvy" allot that way.

MM is most likely correct on the general, Marilyn might be considered on the chunky / fat side by some of todays superficial idealistic and unrealistic standards. But in my mind they all have curves, some more pronounced then others but beautiful curves in my eyes. But there again, I don't subscribe to the "runway" as being the standard, just on the opposite side of curvy ( and sometimes zero i.e. Kate Moss).

BOT, I am LOVING seeing Fumie's Name come up so much for peoples "HOPES for the Grand Prix Final Podium! "
-and I am sorry I keep spelling the "Sarah's" names wrong. Habbit.

Last edited:
I hate Tripod. For Sarah, copy and paste this url into your address bar. :p

http://power108fm.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sarah.jpg

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily Hughes isn't fat, but she does have what I would call 'thunder thighs' and her hips are, well, ample (without being fat). She is just what you might call bottom-heavy, not like most skaters who are pretty much up-and-down.

To me, "curvy" denotes a reasonably well-endowed bust (without overdoing it) and hips that nicely balance out the bust. I don't think any current skaters could be called curvy, and that includes Emily, who is rather flatchested.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
That, however, is not our Sarah. She's the Philipine supermodel of the same name. ;)
[/url]

Hunh? I guess I have to pay closer attention. Thanks, that's one for the trash bin then!

Some one agree they look a touch alike before I go hit the eye Dr.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! Well then, I stand corrected. Let me rephrase. Volchkova is one of the very few figure skaters who could be called "curvy".

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
What about Kat?

I guess I should just not use the phrase if it is having to do with chest size. That is one preoccupation as a guy that just never interested me that much.

And BTW, if Emily (Emmie:banging: ) has "thunder thighs" I guess there must be Volcano size? Either that or the insult I always thought it was to be called TT must be a complement of a sort. I still think they are smaller ladies (one in particular I will not say her name for I fear for my life) has larger thighs then that, Yuka, Ira and .... not saying anymore because some might take it negative when I mean it as a good thing. I think they are gorgeous legs, and yet so does Sasha have smaller legs, and they are very nice as well.

Anyhoo, if chests and their relative hip size is what "curvy" is all about then I am not a good judge.

Last edited: