Sasha on Michelle | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Sasha on Michelle

SusanBeth

Final Flight
dancindiva03 said:
I think the "Sasha Monster" reared its ugly head in Torino, didn't it? I'm pretty sure she almost ran right into Arakawa. Yes, I know, we're beating the dead horse with this one, but to me it looked very intentional, very "I'll show her who's in charge." Thank god it backfired.

I didn't see a monster. I saw a young person who looked stressed half to death and just not paying atterntion to the surroundings. Accidents do happen because people get upset and distracted. It's true for every other human being. Why wouldn't it be true for Sasha? I don't think Sasha is a fool and some of you seem to take her for one. Why would she risk injuring herself or not getting her own warm up done?

Look at her face during the warm up and right when she starts her skate. Those big brown eyes had that deer-in-the-headlights look going big time. Her eyes weren't saying "I am going to get her!". IMO, they were saying "OMG!! OMG!" I give her credit for pulling herself back together. Most skaters that I've seen can't pull themselves out of a meltdown. I didn't think Sasha could. The girl suprised me. Good for her!

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Just being devil's advocate and jumping in to say that Princess Di was not without her critics, i know more than a few people thought (and i really don't agree but my parents are quite vocal about this) that she was clever and manipulative and died at just the right time to become somewhat of a martyr. They believe another year and she'd have been crucified by the rather conersvative British public...the media and tabloids had already started turning on her a few months before her death..again, i don't agree with that but know many people (mostly of my parents age) who did think this.

I had never agreed with that view of her (even if I am just being snowed) I felt she was shoved around by the aristocracy and embraced by the public. The only thing I felt was going to show would have been her "fangs" to hold on to her relationship with her children as a mother(moms unless mentally unstable should have "most" rights to their kids), and the fact she would have "fought and won" against the "royalty" in gaining a majority of the rights to her children. I think the Queen has no intention of showing the Laws that govern would be more powerful then her court. I don't think the English would have been all that hip to that either.

antmanb said:
Well i must say, for me the fact he throw around a few million from his many billions fortune doesn't really make me think any more of him...proportionately is it any more compared to earnings than the rest of us give? He might be able to afford a great PR machine but i still view him with a lot of suspicion

Ant

Very glad to hear that!:agree: The worst thing about it is he is just giving it to the top money making organizations in the world anyway - pharmaceuticals. Some does go to the "needy" via governments of said needy, but I take that as a whatever helps you sleep at night. It is funny how people would want to think something good about someone like that, when there track record is clear. "So he betrayed trust between a colleague, that's just business." Sad and true as it might be, just because things have been does not always mean they must stay that way.
I guess my point was he is shaking "bad rep" with most - and Ant is most likely correct with him "buying" good PR.

BOT, I agree that is is impressive the way Sasha can pull her self back, and not just because she has had a lot of practice.:laugh: That would almost make it that much harder to keep picking yourself up time after time after.... I can't believe she is anything shy of a strong willed lady - maybe some view her as tenacious, but strong never the less.:love:

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree that Princess Di was clever and manipulative, but let's face it, she HAD to be to survive being part of the that morally depraved family. She married Charles at 19 and immediately had to face the fact that her role was to be that of childbearer only and for her to expect anything more was unthinkable. She was married to an unrepentently selfish adulterer who resented her for her immense popularity with the British public. I truly believe that if Charles ever becomes King, that will spell the end of the monarchy.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
SusanBeth said:
I didn't see a monster. I saw a young person who looked stressed half to death and just not paying atterntion to the surroundings. Accidents do happen because people get upset and distracted. It's true for every other human being. Why wouldn't it be true for Sasha? I don't think Sasha is a fool and some of you seem to take her for one. Why would she risk injuring herself or not getting her own warm up done?

Look at her face during the warm up and right when she starts her skate. Those big brown eyes had that deer-in-the-headlights look going big time. Her eyes weren't saying "I am going to get her!". IMO, they were saying "OMG!! OMG!" I give her credit for pulling herself back together. Most skaters that I've seen can't pull themselves out of a meltdown. I didn't think Sasha could. The girl suprised me. Good for her!
The one reason I don't think it is true for Sasha is because it happens way too often. Too many times SHE is the one involved in these kinds of incidents. I'm not saying she's trying to actually run into people, but she sure as h*** seems to think that it should always be the other person to get out of the way even when Sasha's the one getting in the way in the first place. As for the eyes before she started her LP, she probably looked scared because, knowing her own track record, she knew she was going to blow it on the worlds biggest stage. Sorry, but its true.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha has often said that in the warmup, she pays attention only to what she herself is doing. The problem with that is that doesn't take into consideration the fact that there are FIVE other skaters on the rink with her, and they can't monitor where Sasha is with respect to themselves, every moment of the time they're on the rink.

It seems as if Sasha feels that the other skaters must look out for Sasha as well as for themselves. Now THAT tells a lot about Sasha's character (some pigs is more equal than other pigs).

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
About the whole Sasha/Michelle situation ... I think the hardest thing for Sasha is that she never had that one performance, when people were out of their seats cheering before she even finished ... making no difference which (if any) medal she ended up getting. I think every athlete wants that kind of moment. Michelle has had many of those, and I think that is what Sasha longs for. Not so much that she begrudges what Michelle has done ... or that she wants Michelle out so she can have it. Clearly that was not the case ... as in Nats, the Olys and Worlds this past season. Michelle wasn't even there. I'm sure the questions just add to her frustrations about goals of her own that she was unable to fulfill.
I do feel badly for her.

ITA with everything you said

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
chuckm said:
Sasha has often said that in the warmup, she pays attention only to what she herself is doing. The problem with that is that doesn't take into consideration the fact that there are FIVE other skaters on the rink with her, and they can't monitor where Sasha is with respect to themselves, every moment of the time they're on the rink.

It seems as if Sasha feels that the other skaters must look out for Sasha as well as for themselves. Now THAT tells a lot about Sasha's character (some pigs is more equal than other pigs).

That's EXACTLY how I feel about the whole thing.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SeaniBu said:
Sasha and the looks 12mb
I don't know how much it has to do with how well someone will skate, but it does seem to say a few things in the personality department.
It's not there Sean, meaning can't download.

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Try it again, I received the emails a little slowly. I don't think it was available yet. Now that I have taken out the trash maybe it is now.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What I see is a very, very beautiful young lady.

Dee

jesslily

Final Flight
I think that Sasha is very honest about her feeling toward Michelle Kwan. Sasha does not have to flater Michelle while she was asking repeatedly about Michelle.

MKFSfan

Medalist
jesslily said:
I think that Sasha is very honest about her feeling toward Michelle Kwan. Sasha does not have to flater Michelle while she was asking repeatedly about Michelle.

No one is implying Sasha has to flatter Michelle in the least. She is sort of honest, but more allusive. She never came out and said,"I hate the girl." or "Michelle is a great skater." She has admitted Michelle is a role model, icon to the sport, etc. the usual PC comments where Michelle is concerned. I admit, I was hoping for a more gracious, personal comment around the time of Michelle's WD only because I am a Michelle fan and like hearing the kind things her other peers were saying, not because I thought Sasha herself needed to praise Michelle. I do pity Sasha for living in Michelle's shadow when she apparently craves the spotlight more than Michelle, yet she knows the media chooses to put Michelle on a pedestal. That has to be frusturating. I

I think Sasha is a pretty girl and she seemed to lavish her moments of fame post-Olympics. If that leads to her retirement from skating and starting an acting career, I wish her all the best. I just hope she's not leaving the scene feeling defeated and that one day she can look back at her accomplishments and be proud of them.

Sasha is the U.S. champion, the reigning Olympic silver medalist, three-time World medalist and number two on the all-time list of highest scores under the New Judging System. She has made a sufficient impact in her chosen field of endeavor to have made her name known to the general public; she has thousands upon thousands of enthusiastic fans, millions of more casual admirers who have enjoyed her performances, and a gang of little girls who want to grow up to be just like her.

She is beautiful, she is 21, the world is her oyster. :)

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
MKFSfan said:
I admit, I was hoping for a more gracious, personal comment around the time of Michelle's WD only because I am a Michelle fan and like hearing the kind things her other peers were saying, not because I thought Sasha herself needed to praise Michelle.
Why??? It seems like you're holding a grudge for Sasha. Maybe it is you that is not gracious.
MKFSfan said:
I do pity Sasha for living in Michelle's shadow
I don't think Sasha lives in Michelle's shadow. Read Math's response, that doesn't seem like living in someone's shadow to me.

Dee

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dee4707 said:
I don't think Sasha lives in Michelle's shadow. Read Math's response, that doesn't seem like living in someone's shadow to me.

Dee

It isn't what you think that counts, it's what Sasha thinks. She has never beaten Michelle at Nationals, and she has never won even one World title, while Michelle has won five. In her own words, Sasha has always wanted to be #1, and in her own mind she has not achieved that status. Maybe when she is older, she will appreciate what she has accomplished, or she might wind up like Rosalyn Sumners and Linda Fratianne, always mourning what never was.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Dee4707 said:
Why??? It seems like you're holding a grudge for Sasha. Maybe it is you that is not gracious.

LOL...holding a grudge...I'm not gracious...Where did that come from?

Not sure how else to phrase it, then. What I mean is I enjoy reading what Michelle's peers had to say about her WD. I liked hearing the more personal comments from Evan, Johnny, Fumie and others, like they felt for her and wished her well. I would have like to read something sweet from Sasha as well. I don't think Sasha owes it to Michelle or me or the fans by any means. Like, she said a really sweet thing about Irina last year after a Cheesefest, how she was happy Irina won since she and her mom could use the money or something. That's all. These skaters are so PC, it's nice when they give their statements a little personal touch. Among all the other comments, Sasha came off detached, but I can I understand why.

I think Sasha wants to be the face of something important. She's said many times she wants to be #1, she enjoys the spotlight and loves attention. She IS living in Michelle's shadow in a way, since no matter what she does, unless she wins an OGM, she won't top Michelle's career and, fair or not, everyone compares the two. Sasha was unlucky to come up in a time that Michelle dominated and she doesn't have a successful overall record against her. That's what people look at, not who's better at this or that, but overall, who won most. Look at Tara, or Sarah. They won (more so Tara) yet I'd imagine at times, they've felt that despite their accomplishments, the media and fans feel they fall short of what Michelle means to the sport.

I agree what Sasha has done during her career is a great feat. Someday she will look back at her career and be be satisfied and proud of what she did accomplish in figure skating. I'm with chuckm here.

Last edited:
Speaking of looking back, Michelle said in a recent interview with Spotlight on Skating, "I won the World Championship in my sport when I was 15. Everything else is just gravy."

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
MKFSfan said:
I think Sasha wants to be the face of something important. She's said many times she wants to be #1, she enjoys the spotlight and loves attention.
Who doesn't????????? All the elite skaters want that, otherwise what are they doing in the spotlight??

Dee