Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Sasha on Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by TangyTart
    I have to agree with those who believe this is Sasha being Sasha. I think she's always had a little grudge against Michelle. Michelle beat her at every nationals that they both competed in and that obviously made her a little angry/jealous. I pulled up this quote that I feel basically explains how Sasha feels about Michelle. Notice how she is careful not to outright say that she wants to absolutely beat Michelle and that she thinks she is a better skater.

“There is definitely a rivalry,” Cohen said. “It's hard to describe. Skaters come and go, but she has always been there. She was there when I was 6, and she's there now. I am a perfectionist — I always want to win, always want to do my best. Like I said it's hard to put into words, but it's more special when I place ahead of Michelle (Kwan).” -Sasha Cohen 2004-2005 Season

Oh and by the way I'm a fan of both skaters but I like Michelle better.
    Good post. Didn't Sasha also make a statement around the same time that she wished MK would retire. I am a fan of both skaters also, but I would be naive to think that Sasha and MK are girlfriends.

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    Congrats Sasha on all you've accomplished in skating. You are the best silver medalist in history... Must be all that quality...

Sasha?
    Silver?
    She got it but deserved bronze!

Tripping on the Podium
    Let's face it- There is no competitive skater in the world who does not want to be number one. A skater's mindset is never "try to be good enough," it is always "try to be better than I am now."
    If Sasha is placing second and third right now, she naturally wants to take the next higher step on the podium. These are any competitor's instincts. Please don't hold that against her.

Custom Title
    The Olympics was 5 months ago...get over it people

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by password
    Password, my sentiments exactly. Grudges, hmmmmmm!!

Dee

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyBallerina
    Let's face it- There is no competitive skater in the world who does not want to be number one. A skater's mindset is never "try to be good enough," it is always "try to be better than I am now."
    True, but most skaters aren't nearly as openly aggressive about it. And most don't make statements that they wish the #1 would retire....

If Sasha is placing second and third right now, she naturally wants to take the next higher step on the podium. These are any competitor's instincts. Please don't hold that against her.
    Sasha has been consistently placing second, with the occasional third. It sure isn't the fault of the skaters who are beating her that this is happening. Kimmie beating her must have been a horrendous shock, and something tells me this is one of the major reasons why Sasha is now focusing on interests other than skating this season.

Banned
    Sasha only has herself to blame for coming 2nd or 3rd so many times. Most people have concurred the judges were willing to give her many titles over the last 4 years, and she failed repeatedly to deliever what is required these days to win major events-a clean long program.

Custom Title
    Lambiel hasn't delivered a clean FS either, and it hasn't kept him from the top of the podium.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by password
    Good assesment! How long is it until the season begins? Hard to believe we are only half way through the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyora
    Good assesment! How long is it until the season begins? Hard to believe we are only half way through the off season.
    It's 107 days to the GREAT Campbell's Challenge. (Anyone know anything about it for this season?)

It's 118 days for the Battle of the Century in Hartford. The Asada girls come up against the two 3x3s and possible 3A skater Meissner. The fans will be hanging from the rafters. They'll be throwing beer cans on the ice. Outside the police will try to keep order for the fans who could not make it inside. Sara Meier will be appalled. Alissa Czisney will just say "no pictures , please, just a word to the press" that she will be at Skate Canada in two weeks. Emily and Katy will be talking with Paul Wylie in whispers. The bookies have raised the odds for Kimmie who is competing on home turf. Will the Asada girls win? What color dress will Kimmie be wearing? Will Vikka show everyone that she's not down yet? Will the vast improvement expected in Miki be there? Will Kira Korpi show them what it's all about or will Mira Leung?

It is the Dawning of the Age of a New Era (MM some musical notes here.) Are you ready for it?

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 06-30-2006 at 04:21 PM.

LOL Joe!
    Last edited by Piel; 06-30-2006 at 05:41 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    True, but most skaters aren't nearly as openly aggressive about it. And most don't make statements that they wish the #1 would retire...
    I'd rather Sasha and other skaters were honest about their drive than pretend that they're just thankful for what they've got. That's why post-competition interviews are always so boring!

And didn't she also make a statement saying that now that she was at the other end of the stick, she regretted saying that about the other skaters? Wasn't she 14-16 when she said it anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    LOL Joe!
    But how do you feel about GWB?

Trying to play nice MM

Custom Title
    From what I recall, Sasha admitted when she was younger, she had wished Michelle would retire and give others a "chance", but now she realizes competition is healthy, longetivity is good. People like to recall parts of statments, much like how Sasha once said,"My goal was to win the Gold and retire like Tara." but like to pretend she didn't add,"Now I realize the journey makes you who you are." (not verbatim, but something like that!) Who knows, she could have very well be thinking,"HA! Now with COP, I can beat Michelle! I wish she could compete so I can win the Big One in her presence!" I personally do not care if Sasha loves, hates, admires, loathes, or is indifferent to Michelle. I also do not care if Sasha says winning over Michelle is a big deal to her, or if she says she wants to win, win, win. Those honest remarks are good and truthful. However, I DO care when her statements seem catty and laced with hidden insults, and for that reason, I rather the PC comments when one speaks about a competitor. I don't think it makes the athlete fake at all, but respectful to their peers and to their sport.

Johnny is brutally honest and at times crosses certain lines BUT when has he really taken slight jabs at his major competitor? IMO, Sasha being honest in her statements regarding Michelle and Johnny being honest in general are two completely different things.

I'm sure losing to a younger US skater on the rise stings quite a bit, but Sasha knew heading into Worlds her mind had been elsewhere and she was physically not ready. I doubt that specific result would lead her to pursue other venues.

And regarding Lambiel: maybe he wasn't compeletely clean, but NOONE was able to challange him for both Worlds wins and Silver at the Olympics. Comparing Lambiel to Sasha is apples and oranges.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast