Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Sasha on Michelle

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    What I see is a very, very beautiful young lady.

Dee

I most definitely agree!

Ice Angel
    I think that Sasha is very honest about her feeling toward Michelle Kwan. Sasha does not have to flater Michelle while she was asking repeatedly about Michelle.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jesslily
    I think that Sasha is very honest about her feeling toward Michelle Kwan. Sasha does not have to flater Michelle while she was asking repeatedly about Michelle.
    No one is implying Sasha has to flatter Michelle in the least. She is sort of honest, but more allusive. She never came out and said,"I hate the girl." or "Michelle is a great skater." She has admitted Michelle is a role model, icon to the sport, etc. the usual PC comments where Michelle is concerned. I admit, I was hoping for a more gracious, personal comment around the time of Michelle's WD only because I am a Michelle fan and like hearing the kind things her other peers were saying, not because I thought Sasha herself needed to praise Michelle. I do pity Sasha for living in Michelle's shadow when she apparently craves the spotlight more than Michelle, yet she knows the media chooses to put Michelle on a pedestal. That has to be frusturating. I

I think Sasha is a pretty girl and she seemed to lavish her moments of fame post-Olympics. If that leads to her retirement from skating and starting an acting career, I wish her all the best. I just hope she's not leaving the scene feeling defeated and that one day she can look back at her accomplishments and be proud of them.

Sasha is the U.S. champion, the reigning Olympic silver medalist, three-time World medalist and number two on the all-time list of highest scores under the New Judging System. She has made a sufficient impact in her chosen field of endeavor to have made her name known to the general public; she has thousands upon thousands of enthusiastic fans, millions of more casual admirers who have enjoyed her performances, and a gang of little girls who want to grow up to be just like her.

She is beautiful, she is 21, the world is her oyster.

Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan
    I admit, I was hoping for a more gracious, personal comment around the time of Michelle's WD only because I am a Michelle fan and like hearing the kind things her other peers were saying, not because I thought Sasha herself needed to praise Michelle.
    Why??? It seems like you're holding a grudge for Sasha. Maybe it is you that is not gracious.
    I do pity Sasha for living in Michelle's shadow
    I don't think Sasha lives in Michelle's shadow. Read Math's response, that doesn't seem like living in someone's shadow to me.

Dee

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707
    I don't think Sasha lives in Michelle's shadow. Read Math's response, that doesn't seem like living in someone's shadow to me.

Dee
    It isn't what you think that counts, it's what Sasha thinks. She has never beaten Michelle at Nationals, and she has never won even one World title, while Michelle has won five. In her own words, Sasha has always wanted to be #1, and in her own mind she has not achieved that status. Maybe when she is older, she will appreciate what she has accomplished, or she might wind up like Rosalyn Sumners and Linda Fratianne, always mourning what never was.

Custom Title
    Why??? It seems like you're holding a grudge for Sasha. Maybe it is you that is not gracious.
    LOL...holding a grudge...I'm not gracious...Where did that come from?

Not sure how else to phrase it, then. What I mean is I enjoy reading what Michelle's peers had to say about her WD. I liked hearing the more personal comments from Evan, Johnny, Fumie and others, like they felt for her and wished her well. I would have like to read something sweet from Sasha as well. I don't think Sasha owes it to Michelle or me or the fans by any means. Like, she said a really sweet thing about Irina last year after a Cheesefest, how she was happy Irina won since she and her mom could use the money or something. That's all. These skaters are so PC, it's nice when they give their statements a little personal touch. Among all the other comments, Sasha came off detached, but I can I understand why.

I think Sasha wants to be the face of something important. She's said many times she wants to be #1, she enjoys the spotlight and loves attention. She IS living in Michelle's shadow in a way, since no matter what she does, unless she wins an OGM, she won't top Michelle's career and, fair or not, everyone compares the two. Sasha was unlucky to come up in a time that Michelle dominated and she doesn't have a successful overall record against her. That's what people look at, not who's better at this or that, but overall, who won most. Look at Tara, or Sarah. They won (more so Tara) yet I'd imagine at times, they've felt that despite their accomplishments, the media and fans feel they fall short of what Michelle means to the sport.

I agree what Sasha has done during her career is a great feat. Someday she will look back at her career and be be satisfied and proud of what she did accomplish in figure skating. I'm with chuckm here.
    Last edited by MKFSfan; 07-08-2006 at 12:23 PM.

Speaking of looking back, Michelle said in a recent interview with Spotlight on Skating, "I won the World Championship in my sport when I was 15. Everything else is just gravy."

I think Sasha wants to be the face of something important. She's said many times she wants to be #1, she enjoys the spotlight and loves attention.
    Who doesn't????????? All the elite skaters want that, otherwise what are they doing in the spotlight??

Dee

Custom Title
    Who doesn't????????? All the elite skaters want that, otherwise what are they doing in the spotlight??

Dee
    My point exactly! I did not say that Sasha lavishing in the spotlight was a bad thing. I was using it as an example of why I believe Sasha could feel she is in Michelle's shadow.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Sasha is the U.S. champion, the reigning Olympic silver medalist, three-time World medalist and number two on the all-time list of highest scores under the New Judging System. She has made a sufficient impact in her chosen field of endeavor to have made her name known to the general public; she has thousands upon thousands of enthusiastic fans, millions of more casual admirers who have enjoyed her performances, and a gang of little girls who want to grow up to be just like her.

She is beautiful, she is 21, the world is her oyster.
    I loved your reply It's sounds just like something Sasha would love to hear when she's feeling down because of her 'failure' of getting gold.

But for me, even she wont ever have 5 world titles(I'm not even sure she wants to go that far anyway) she should have her moment. What I mean is a performance that everyone will talk about in 20 years, not because it got her the gold, but because she gave it 200% and won the crowd with it. MIchelle's had plenty of those....and Sasha doesnt. (I'm talking lps).

That's why I wish she sticks around-she still has more to give...

Custom Title
    What I see is a very, very beautiful young lady.

Dee
    ---but handsome is as handsome does.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    ---but handsome is as handsome does.
    What does that mean Chuck???

Dee

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    I agree that Princess Di was clever and manipulative, but let's face it, she HAD to be to survive being part of the that morally depraved family. She married Charles at 19 and immediately had to face the fact that her role was to be that of childbearer only and for her to expect anything more was unthinkable. She was married to an unrepentently selfish adulterer who resented her for her immense popularity with the British public. I truly believe that if Charles ever becomes King, that will spell the end of the monarchy.
    Totally agree with you there, but of course he was not the only adulterer in their relationship.

Ant

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast