Superstitions and FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Superstitions and FS

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I confess... I always eat chicken for dinner when Michelle is skating.... It started off as a joke, but is now a habit... its sooo very embarrasing... :laugh:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
I confess... I always eat chicken for dinner when Michelle is skating.... It started off as a joke, but is now a habit... its sooo very embarrasing... :laugh:

:rofl: :rofl:

That is hilarious - fans with superstitions for their skaters!!!!

Ant

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
:rofl: :rofl:

That is hilarious - fans with superstitions for their skaters!!!!

Ant

Hey, don't laugh it works!!! Since I began this ~ I've only missed twice ... Worlds '04 & '05... :p :laugh: :laugh:

When I watch Michelle, I hide around the corner and peek out only when the audience goes, "y-a-a-ay!!"

Michelle looks awesome skating away after a particularly well-done element (if only I had seen it!) :)

FSOWebmaster

On the Ice
Naomi Nari Nam and Themi Leftheris list a number of personal rituals and supersititions on their official site,naominarinamthemileftheris.com, including:

Naomi has an IceBreaker mint before she takes the ice.

Themi wears the same pair of socks during the short program and free skate, if the short program goes well.

Naomi and Themi read an inspirational quote, from a book Naomi owns, everyday during a competition

Linny

Final Flight
Chicken for Dinner

Is that chicken for dinner on the night of the actual competition or is it the night it is televised? Before Internet, results from the actual night of the competition were hard to come by (except for Olys)... so I wonder how long your superstition dates back.
Linny

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Linny said:
Is that chicken for dinner on the night of the actual competition or is it the night it is televised? Before Internet, results from the actual night of the competition were hard to come by (except for Olys)... so I wonder how long your superstition dates back.
Linny

I didn't say it was a long tradition, just a weird, uberKwan thing...

I started back in '02/'03 (I think...) when I joined MKF... I find out the actual start time & eat chicken for lunch ~ mainly because I hate NOT to be spoiled...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Apparently Fumie Suguri always wears a "cross" on or with her costume / outfit when skating for good luck. I guess it is not apart of her photoshoots because I never see it - even in her skating attire.

76olympics

On the Ice
If I almost close my eyes and peer out through the crack, the skater will not fall. If they fall anyway, obviously Slippery the Skate God sensed that my eyes really weren't closed. Like Mathman, I depend on replays and videos after the fact to see what really happened. Peering through my fingers can also be effective.

icy fresh

On the Ice
As a competitive figure skater myself, I don't have any rituals. I don't think it's wise to have any because it makes skaters think that the fate of how they will skate is in the hands of some silly tradition.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
A LOT of athletes are ridiculously superstitious. One of the strangest skater superstitions I've witnessed is a female pro skater (I mean c'mon - if it's only a show who cares? Why even bother with the ritual? But I digress....) who had a little set of dolls she would line up in the dressing room and mumble some words over.

Some superstitions are cute. Alexander Abt's is that he always touches the surface of the ice with his hand before skating. As he once said, "To say hello."

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Zanzibar said:
Some superstitions are cute. Alexander Abt's is that he always touches the surface of the ice with his hand before skating. As he once said, "To say hello."

Awww, that's adorable. :)

antmanb

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Hey, don't laugh it works!!! Since I began this ~ I've only missed twice ... Worlds '04 & '05... :p :laugh: :laugh:

Damn you Kwanford Wife, why did you miss it...WHHHHHYYYYYY?!?!?!

:p

Ant

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Damn you Kwanford Wife, why did you miss it...WHHHHHYYYYYY?!?!?!

:p

Ant

I knooowwww I'm soorryyyy.... I was busy at work & messed up the time changes... plus, I forgot to factor in the qual round.... so technically, her '04 rebound in the long is all me... wouldn't ya say??

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Zanzibar said:
A LOT of athletes are ridiculously superstitious. One of the strangest skater superstitions I've witnessed is a female pro skater (I mean c'mon - if it's only a show who cares? Why even bother with the ritual? But I digress....) who had a little set of dolls she would line up in the dressing room and mumble some words over.

Even if it's "only a show," I would imagine that most skaters take pride in their craft and care enough to want to provide the audience who paid to see them skate with a good performance. Unless I'm drawing a major blank on the competition rosters for both eligible and pro competitions over the last three to four years, Abt's "Hello" to the ice happens for "only a show," too. :)

It seems to me that rituals are fairly common in most performing arts as well as both amateur and professional sports. I remember a fluff piece that was televised as part of a Stars on Ice broadcast several years ago that showed us many of the little rituals (high fives, air kisses, "secret" handshakes and the like) that the cast participated in prior to taking the ice. It was cute! :yes:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
I knooowwww I'm soorryyyy.... I was busy at work & messed up the time changes... plus, I forgot to factor in the qual round.... so technically, her '04 rebound in the long is all me... wouldn't ya say??

Definitely!! Thank goodness you managed to get her back round for the SP and LP!!!

Ant