Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Superstitions and FS

All this talk about "tempting the skate gods" is just silly.

I'll take this opportunity to reveal that I am, in fact, one of the aforementioned skate gods. (No autographs, please. I don't feel like it today.)

All of you can do whatever you feel like, because really, we're not tempted by very much. Except Swiss Chocolate.

As skate gods, our duties are divided. My divine handle is "Slick", and I'm in charge of ice slipperiness.

We have other skate gods in charge of ice texture, ice grippiness, and -- yes, it's true -- commentator praise. His name's Pounce. He hovers above the commentator booth, and as soon as Dick Button praises a skater, he swings into action and Does His Thang, and he does it well. If Sandra Bezic had just held some Swiss Chocolate over her head during a couple of key moments in Salt Lake City, well, hello Gold Medal for Michelle Kwan and good-bye Gold Medal for Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze. But, hey, them's the breaks.

As for the concept that viewers can alter the outcome of a competition: HA! Don't make me laugh! We skate gods are just like the ISU -- we don't give a flip about you!

So go ahead. Continue to wear your lucky underwear whenever Joubert takes the ice. We don't care.

-- The Slickster

Oh, yeah, one more thing -- we totally have a skate god permanently assigned to Jayne Torville's socks.

Normally, we wouldn't do that, but hey -- she's Jayne Torville.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit
    Oh, yeah, one more thing -- we totally have a skate god permanently assigned to Jayne Torville's socks.

Normally, we wouldn't do that, but hey -- she's Jayne Torville.
    That's it!! I've lost all my faith in the skate gods...they can't even spell Jayne Torvill's name right

Ant <who laughed long and loud and the other post!!>

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb
    That's it!! I've lost all my faith in the skate gods...they can't even spell Jayne Torvill's name right
    We never went to school.

A. Y. & E. P.: Tzars Of The Ice, Lords Of The Rink anya_angie's Avatar
    Plushenko never shaves during a competition, he said that's a superstition he has LOL. He does not look good IMO with a blonde stubble LOL!

Shoe Diva
    I confess... I always eat chicken for dinner when Michelle is skating.... It started off as a joke, but is now a habit... its sooo very embarrasing...

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    I confess... I always eat chicken for dinner when Michelle is skating.... It started off as a joke, but is now a habit... its sooo very embarrasing...

That is hilarious - fans with superstitions for their skaters!!!!

Ant

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb

That is hilarious - fans with superstitions for their skaters!!!!

Ant
    Hey, don't laugh it works!!! Since I began this ~ I've only missed twice ... Worlds '04 & '05...

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    If I don't watch my favorite skater when he or she jumps, then they won't fall. :D

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by CzarinaAnya
    If I don't watch my favorite skater when he or she jumps, then they won't fall. :D
    Now, that's awesome!

When I watch Michelle, I hide around the corner and peek out only when the audience goes, "y-a-a-ay!!"

Michelle looks awesome skating away after a particularly well-done element (if only I had seen it!)

Custom Title
    Naomi Nari Nam and Themi Leftheris list a number of personal rituals and supersititions on their official site,naominarinamthemileftheris.com, including:

Naomi has an IceBreaker mint before she takes the ice.
    Themi wears the same pair of socks during the short program and free skate, if the short program goes well.
    Naomi and Themi read an inspirational quote, from a book Naomi owns, everyday during a competition

Custom Title

Chicken for Dinner

Is that chicken for dinner on the night of the actual competition or is it the night it is televised? Before Internet, results from the actual night of the competition were hard to come by (except for Olys)... so I wonder how long your superstition dates back.
    Linny

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny
    Is that chicken for dinner on the night of the actual competition or is it the night it is televised? Before Internet, results from the actual night of the competition were hard to come by (except for Olys)... so I wonder how long your superstition dates back.
    Linny
    I didn't say it was a long tradition, just a weird, uberKwan thing...

I started back in '02/'03 (I think...) when I joined MKF... I find out the actual start time & eat chicken for lunch ~ mainly because I hate NOT to be spoiled...

Apparently Fumie Suguri always wears a "cross" on or with her costume / outfit when skating for good luck. I guess it is not apart of her photoshoots because I never see it - even in her skating attire.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast