Superstitions and FS | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Superstitions and FS

Lada

Spectator
I think people, in general, are more superstitious than we like to believe we are. We all have little rituals and routines we go through, even if it is as simple as when we take our vitamins or which leg goes into the pants first. :laugh: And when our routines get disrupted, for the slightest of reasons, things seem to be off-kilter.

I sure can see this happeneing with athletes. And because they are under a magnifying glass, competition or show, it seems more crucial, and possibly even humorous!

In one performing arts organization I've worked with right before a show the performers (they never did invite the technical crew, thankfully!) would form a circle and whisper hushing sounds! Then to end it a loud HUSH! It was called, of all things :Husha, Husha - go figure!

Well, in the grand scheme of things - whatever works for ya, baby!

Fredegunda

Rinkside
Does any skater have a "lucky loonie" superstition like the Canadian men's hockey team? I guess it would difficult to get a coin into the ice if you don't know the icemaker, but since Canadian icemakers were in SLC and Torino (?) it might have been possible at those events anyway.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Zanzibar said:
A LOT of athletes are ridiculously superstitious. One of the strangest skater superstitions I've witnessed is a female pro skater (I mean c'mon - if it's only a show who cares? Why even bother with the ritual? But I digress....) who had a little set of dolls she would line up in the dressing room and mumble some words over.

IIRC, that was Tara Lipinski, and the dolls were "spiritual icons" which she prayed over... she also did this at several pro competitions...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
This was found on the Crystallettes, synchronized team.

... Superstitions include no negative comments in the locker room, and before stepping on the ice at a competition the last person in line starts to "fluff" the person's skirt in front of them, and it continues to the front ... They also pass the Buddha down the line and everyone rubs his belly.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzibar
"A LOT of athletes are ridiculously superstitious. One of the strangest skater superstitions I've witnessed is a female pro skater (I mean c'mon - if it's only a show who cares? Why even bother with the ritual? But I digress....) who had a little set of dolls she would line up in the dressing room and mumble some words over."

Tonichelle said:
IIRC, that was Tara Lipinski, and the dolls were "spiritual icons" which she prayed over... she also did this at several pro competitions...

Nah, wasn't Tara that I saw doing it as we've never met that I can recall, so I guess there must be more than one lady skater that likes the dolls, LOL.
I think that's one of things that made Alexei such a champion - although he would occasionally look 'for signs' he never relied on superstitions for his 'luck'. Rather, he made it himself.