Will you be there? | Golden Skate

Will you be there?

Lynn226

On the Ice
I have tix for Skate Canada, but I've always wanted to attend Euros. Has anyone purchased one of the ticket packages on the official site? Any opinions on if the hotel/event tickets packages are the best way to proceed?

Thanks!

Valka

Spectator
Any opinions on if the hotel/event tickets packages are the best way to proceed?
It depends on what event you want to go to and how much money you have.

Lynn226

On the Ice
I was referring to the packages being offered for Europeans. For Skate Canada, I buy the ticket through whomever is selling them and then book the hotel and airfare myself.

Thanks!

Valka

Spectator
If you want to see all competitions and stay at good hotel, packages are good for you. But I think it's too expensive so I'm going to buy tickets for chosen competitions.

Trouble with Euros and it seems that happens every year is that it comes on the heels of the US Nationals. Maybe one day there will be a reasonable space between the two and I can finally make Euros.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Lynn226 said:
I was referring to the packages being offered for Europeans. For Skate Canada, I buy the ticket through whomever is selling them and then book the hotel and airfare myself.

Thanks!
I see a couple of issues/questions about the packages:

1. The hotel is for six nights, check-in Monday 22, the night before the first event, and checkout Sunday 28 (6 nights). That's fine if you fly out Sunday. If you want to stay for the exhibitions, which start at 2pm, it's unlikely that there will be a flight back to a hub to then get to back to the US after the gala. (According to Expedia, the last flight out to NYC is 4:30pm.) That would cost an extra night for a hotel.

2. The tickets included in the package, according to the site, include morning and afternoon events and the victory ceremonies (includes the four final events). What this may or may not include is the Monday evening short program, which starts at 7:15 pm. This may have been an oversight.

Single tickets to the events are 150 (1st class) and 100 (2nd class), with prices subject to change. At the current exchange rate, that's about $50 and $34 US.

3. The exhibitions aren't included. Those tickets cost 200 PLN, or about $65 US.

The top package hotel is the Marriott. The very small sample of Expedia users who provided reviews through today -- 2 to be exact -- gave it a rave. Looks pretty spiffy -- hot tubs, saunas, steam rooms, gym, aerobics classes :) -- wireless access in public areas and high speed access in the rooms. (No indication about whether there's a surcharge, but I'd assume so.)

There's no rating on the site for Novotel Centrum, but they don't have a deal with Expedia.

The summer rate for the Marriott is over $200 and the Novotel $125, but the winter rate is nearly identical on Expedia ($182/night). The package deal looks sweet--singles tickets alone would be $450, which leaves about $900 for hotels for the top package and $800 for the standard package (single occupancy).

Lynn226

On the Ice
Just for verification purposes, I e-mailed the ticketing agent and asked what is included in the ticket package. The reply and copied and pasted below:

Dear Madame,
The package includes tickets for morning and afternoon daily events during the period 22 - 28 Jan 2007, (Short and long programs, compulsory, original and free dances), it excludes practise on 20 and 21 of January)
best regards'

Emilia Iwanska

Polish Travel Quo Vadis Ltd.
ul. Ptasia 2
00-138 Warszawa
tel. +48 22 322 85 04
fax. +48 22 322 85 44

GG : 2196871
SKYPE emilia_ptqv

www.polishtravel.com.pl
www.odkryjpolske.pl

EOIskating

Spectator
hockeyfan228 said:
2. The tickets included in the package, according to the site, include morning and afternoon events and the victory ceremonies (includes the four final events). What this may or may not include is the Monday evening short program, which starts at 7:15 pm. This may have been an oversight.

Since last year and the abolition of Qualifying Rounds at Euros, all events now start from Tuesday. All the SP/OD now takes place the day before for all of the 4 disciplines.

EOIskating said:
Since last year and the abolition of Qualifying Rounds at Euros, all events now start from Tuesday. All the SP/OD now takes place the day before for all of the 4 disciplines.
I hope the SPs and the ODs are skated early in the day if the competitors have to skate their LP and FD the next night.

Will this also apply to Worlds?

Joe

EOIskating

Spectator
Joesitz said:
I hope the SPs and the ODs are skated early in the day if the competitors have to skate their LP and FD the next night.

The Pairs SP is skated on the Tuesday evening. All the other SPs and OD are skated in the afternoon. However, as traditional, the Ladies still skate their free in the afternoon too.

Joesitz said:
Will this also apply to Worlds?

One of the aims of doing away with the qualifying round was to make Worlds shorter, so I presume the schedule will be similar.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I got a brochure from Colonial Travel for Euros. I filled out the application which had the prices (so I don't have it in front of me), and the info isn't up on their website yet, but IIRC, prices were about $2200-$2300 (including air from NYC) with ~$325 for single supplement option, less $200 for putting down a $1000 deposit by 1 September. That was for the ticket, seven nights plus transport from the Marriott to the rink, and a half-day tour of Warsaw.

cygnus

Rinkside
Problem with Euros from America is that it comes on the heels of the US Nats.

Joe

And Canadians too! But this year I'm making a choice and going to Euros for the first time. While I hate to miss Nationals (especially since I love Halifax!), I figured that for once I'd give them a miss and see a different comp instead. If I can squeeze in 4ccs a couple of weeks later as well, then it makes up for missing worlds in Japan this year and I still get to see skaters from all over the world.:)

The Colonial Travel price is pretty reasonable, considering it includes airfare, and the Mariott, which isn't cheap. While it's still cheaper to go on one's own, the lack of "hassle factor" is worth a lot for me.

And Canadians too! But this year I'm making a choice and going to Euros for the first time. While I hate to miss Nationals (especially since I love Halifax!), I figured that for once I'd give them a miss and see a different comp instead. If I can squeeze in 4ccs a couple of weeks later as well, then it makes up for missing worlds in Japan this year and I still get to see skaters from all over the world.:)

The Colonial Travel price is pretty reasonable, considering it includes airfare, and the Mariott, which isn't cheap. While it's still cheaper to go on one's own, the lack of "hassle factor" is worth a lot for me.
I went to Skate Canada in St. John on my own and it was a hastle but I enjoyed it. The weather was fine in late October, the town is pretty and the hotel was on the harbour and the arena was 3 short blocks walking distance.

Joe

cygnus

Rinkside
I went to Skate Canada in St. John on my own and it was a hastle but I enjoyed it. The weather was fine in late October, the town is pretty and the hotel was on the harbour and the arena was 3 short blocks walking distance.

Joe

Me too, actually. I go to events in Canada (or the US, but that's only one so far- 4ccs last year) on my own, but internationally , I find it easier to have someone else do the arrangements for me. I might go on my own to places I know, like the UK or Finland, should a big event go there (I was hoping for a worlds in London!) but with countries where I don't speak the language or know the city, a tour group can be worth the price, depending on the price range, of course.