Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Relaxed Pair/Dance Citizenship Requirements

I should be studying!
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb
    i thought Tennis was an Olympics sport?! I could have sworn i watched one Olympic tennis competition...may have been back at the Barcelona games...was it ever an olympic sport? Perhaps i'm just losing my marbles!!!

Ant
    You're not losing your marbles! Tennis is an Olympic sport. The Olympics are not the big prize in that sport; the Grand Slams are.
    http://www.itftennis.com/olympics/

Tennis is not an "Olympic sport." They may knock a few balls back and forth a little at the Olympics.

They play some basketball, too, but (at least in the U.S.) they can't get any of the top players to take time from their summer vacations to try out for the team.

By an "Olympic sport" I mean one that defines itself in terms of the Olympic Games (like track and field, for instance, or swiming).

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Tennis is not an "Olympic sport." They may knock a few balls back and forth a little at the Olympics.

They play some basketball, too, but (at least in the U.S.) they can't get any of the top players to take time from their summer vacations to try out for the team.

By an "Olympic sport" I mean one that defines itself in terms of the Olympic Games (like track and field, for instance, or swiming).
    But by who's definition? There are those who think the Olympics is just money grabbing corporate bollocks that don't mean as much as the world championships...who says whether a sport is defined in terms of the Olympic games?

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb
    But by who's definition? There are those who think the Olympics is just money grabbing corporate bollocks that don't mean as much as the world championships...who says whether a sport is defined in terms of the Olympic games?
    In the case of figure skating, I think it is the officials and the athletes themselves who do so. (To the detriment of the sport, IMHO.)

Skaters and their federations are already pointing toward Vancouver as if nothing between now and then matters. Will Stephane Lambiel's knees hold out until 2010? Will Belbin and Agosto peak at the right time? Will the Russian federation be able to develop some strong pairs teams in time? Will it be Mao, Yu-na or Kimmie in 2010?

Kurt Browning has said he would trade all of his 4 World Championships for an Olympic medal.

At Moscow Worlds the head of the Japanese delegation bragged that their strategy was deliberately to bomb at worlds (they did) so that they could fly under the radar and surprise everyone at the Olympics (they did).

Not to mention, the news media and the general public hardly knows the sport exists in the periods between Olympic Games.

IMHO, this is bad for figure skating. As overall interest in the Winter Olympics fades, it is dragging down figure skating along with it.

JMO.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    In the case of figure skating, I think it is the officials and the athletes themselves who do so. (To the detriment of the sport, IMHO.)

Skaters and their federations are already pointing toward Vancouver as if nothing between now and then matters. Will Stephane Lambiel's knees hold out until 2010? Will Belbin and Agosto peak at the right time? Will the Russian federation be able to develop some strong pairs teams in time? Will it be Mao, Yu-na or Kimmie in 2010?

Kurt Browning has said he would trade all of his 4 World Championships for an Olympic medal.

At Moscow Worlds the head of the Japanese delegation bragged that their strategy was deliberately to bomb at worlds (they did) so that they could fly under the radar and surprise everyone at the Olympics (they did).

Not to mention, the news media and the general public hardly knows the sport exists in the periods between Olympic Games.

IMHO, this is bad for figure skating. As overall interest in the Winter Olympics fades, it is dragging down figure skating along with it.

JMO.

MM
    I do see what you mean. I still think that for me, the number of medals you can point to to show you were consistently the best for a period of time is better than one medal. I find it disappointing (and a little hard to believe he really means it) that Browning would trade four medals showing he was unbeatable in four world championships for one off competition. Equally i'd feel disappointed if Stojko said the same given that he also sat at or near the top for a very long time.

Ant

Custom Title
    Well, if only one has to be a citizen, that makes that whole Russian mail order bride thing rather attractive again, doesn't it...?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2