Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: COI Omaha Nebraska July 2nd

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flutterby1145
    Those are great pictures! What kind of camera did you use to take those pictures! Thanks for posting the slideshow and pictures!
    Thanks Flutterby1145, the camera I use is an old Sony Mavica with a 10X optical zoom. It uses the 3 1/2 floppy discs. I was sitting 15-20 rows up from the ice; I used the zoom and sports feature.

Kathleen, I have to be honest. I was quite upset with Evgeni during the Olympics not understanding what he did or not during his long program. His Tosca program in COI was absolutey amazing. He has redeemed himself with me.

Here is a review from our Omaha paper. (I changed some of the wording)

Skaters Shine for an Eager Audience

When the best skaters in the world come to town to show off their considerable skills, it can be difficult to pick a favorite performance.

Was it the luminous beauty of the newest Olympic women's champion, Shizuka Arakawa ?

How about the dazzling footwork and triple jumps of the men's gold medalist, Evgeni Plushenko?

Or maybe the breathtaking lifts and throws of the reigning pairs champions, Tatiana Totmyanina and Maxim Marinin?

The answer was simple for one audience member at Sunday's star-studded Champions on Ice show at the Civic Auditorium. As the afternoon's final soloist began her routine, she was greeted by an enthusiastic yell that could be heard through most of the arena.

"You still shine, Michelle!"

Michelle, of course, is Michelle Kwan. For more than a decade she has been the most dominant name in competitive figure skating, by virtue of winning five world championships and nine U.S. titles.

Though groin and hip injuries prevented her from making a third try in February at that elusive Olympic gold medal (she won silver in 1998 and bronze in 2002), she remains a much-loved icon of the sport.

On Sunday, Kwan rewarded her fans with an evocative, emotional performance to the classic ballad "A Song for You," which could be taken as everything from a simple "thank you" to her way of saying "goodbye." (Kwan has made no announcements about her future career plans.)

On doctor's orders, she did not include jumps in her routine Sunday, but she truly didn't need them. The beauty of Kwan's skating comes from her fluid movement across the ice and her subtle artistry in interpreting each phrase of music.

Besides, the crowd already had witnessed a flurry of ever-bigger tricks from the array of skaters who preceded her. Highlights included the cha-cha-cha charm of U.S. ice dancers Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto, the nonstop energy of former French champion Surya Bonaly and the inventive spins of U.S. singles champions Johnny Weir and Sasha Cohen.

Novelty acts also added a splash of fun to the show, even if these skaters never came close to an Olympic moment. Grabbing the most cheers, as usual, was Irina Grigorian, who skated while twirling an ever-increasing mass of silver Hula-Hoops around her body.
    Dee

Thanks Dee (I am PMing you)

Patti

Rinkside
    Thanks for the pics and the report, Dee. The slide show really was impressive - liked the way you blended the stills together with the music too!

While the newpaper review was very positive - I always like to hear from the fans who see a show.

Thank you again.

Thank you Dee for the great report and slide show. All of the ladies looked
    beautiful. I have a question did Shizuka jump when she perfromed her program. I remember when she performed in the Exhibition after the Olympics she did not jump.

Dee,

Thanks for the pictures. I saw COI in Minneapolis while on vacation. I was really impressed with the whole show; I especially enjoyed the closing number.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyjake5
    I have a question did Shizuka jump when she perfromed her program. I remember when she performed in the Exhibition after the Olympics she did not jump.
    Yes, she did a few jumps. Her program is quite nice, the only thing I don't like about it .......it would have been better if she had used Josh Groban's You Raise Me Up. Other than that she has a great exhibition program. It was great to have her in the program. I wasn't sure she would be in it in Omaha. I was also pleased that Evgeni was in the show and didn't think he would be because of his new baby but he was there in all his glory and splendor.

Dee

Custom Title
    Looks like Michelle was wearing-the purple dress we saw in the Marshall's Fest for Fallin'.

Thanks for the review and pictures! I would have LOVED to see Shiz. As much as I prefer Josh Groben's version, I thought Shiz did a beautiful job to Celtic Women (??). Her program itself looks like a blend of a Michelle and Sasha exhibition as it is, but I still really enjoy it, it's one of the exhibitions I view often!

Dee-thanks for the info on Shiz's program. I wish she was in the cast
    when I went in April she is a beautiful skater.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2