music recommendations? | Golden Skate

music recommendations?

T

tharrtell

music recommendations?

I'm taking an organic chemistry class, and I like to study to classical music. I'm in search of new classical music. I know there are a lot of you who know good music. Here's an example of some of the type of music I like:

- anything Beethoven
- a lot of Russian composers: Stravinsky, Prokofiev (especially Piano Concerto #2), Rach, Rimsky-Korsakov (Capriccio Espagnol being a fave)
- Roderigo - love the classical guitar
- Copeland

Any suggestions? I haven't purchased new music in ages, and it's about time. I need some new stuff in order to keep me studying!

E

eltamina

Classical music and Organic Chemistry

“I'm taking an organic chemistry class, and I like to study to classical music”

Organic chemistry and classical music, what a great combinatin. :)

“I haven't purchased new music in ages, and it's about time. I need some new stuff in order to keep me studying”

I recommend that you order your cds from Berkshire outlet, the price is very reasonable.

www.broinc.com/

I do not listen to a huge variety of classical music while I am studying, my poor brain can’t handle too many things at one time. Generally music with a wide dynamic / emotional range, pieces that are too distracting, or music that require too much intellectual and emotional involvement. LOL An example is Carmina Burana is too distracting, I never listened to that while studying, another example is Tchaikovsky's symphony # 6

Lab work is totally different, anything goes in a lab. LOL. Generally, I find science and math go well with classical as background. Eng Lit and classical music do not go as well

Since you love Beethoven I recommend Beethoven’s piano quintet. In this naxos disc there are the Beethoven and Mozart piano quintets.

www.towerrecords.com/prod...id=1085283

You like Copland

Here is his clarinet conerto, performed by Goodman, conduct by Copland himself!!!

www.towerrecords.com/prod...id=1176732

Copland’s tenderland suite

www.towerrecords.com/prod...id=1176732

Other recommendations:

Brahms: Clarinet Quintet in B minor, Op.115 and
Mozart’s clarinet quintet
www.towerrecords.com/prod...id=1519422

Bach: Sonatas and Partitas for unaccompanied solo violin. Szeryng gave one of the best interpretation.

www.towerrecords.com/prod...id=1185579

Bach: Suites for unaccompanied cello , Pablo Casal on Historic Naxos is reasonable price and good.

www.towerrecords.com/prod...id=1913289

Bach: Goldberg Variations , the Glenn Gould version

www.towerrecords.com/prod...id=2718771
English composers, e.g Vaughan Wiliams, Butterworth, Delius , Finzi

Vaughan-Williams: The Lark Ascending, Variations on a theme of Thomas tallis

www.towerrecords.com/prod...id=1067708

Finzi 5 Bagatelle,and clarinet concerto

www.towerrecords.com/prod...id=1509774

Of course Telemann started the tafelmusic tradition (dinner music) for easy listening, and Mozart followed that up with a lot of divertimentos, and serenades , Mozart’s gran partitia for winds, and Eine Kleine Nacht Music are some examples

Telemann’s Tafelmuzic

classical.towerrecords.co...=1&act=C34

Mozart serenade, gran partita

classical.towerrecords.co...=1&act=C34

BTW, I included links to specific pieces from tower records, but you maybe able to find cheaper ones at Berkshire

Happy Listening, and Ace Organic Chemistry.

C

cborsky

Re: music recommendations?

A cheaper alternative is to listen to classical music online. Its always different and its free!

Like Eltamina said, I find that if I'm listening to music I know well, and really enjoy I get all caught up in it and am unable to concentrate on my homework.

I usually listen to

http://www.mostlyclassical.com/
http://www.digitallyimported.com/ ( at the bottom of the page)

Check it out, it might be what you're looking for!

~Cassie

T

tharrtell

eltamina and cborsky -
Thanks for the recommendations. I really appreciate it. Listening on-line - what a great idea. I hadn't even though of that. The classical station in my area plays too many commercials which I find distracting.

E

eltamina

Here is a commercial free classical music radio station you can listen to on the net

www.wbjc.com/