Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: Pres. Bush and ethnic skaters

  1. #16
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    GWB is just trying to cultivate the figure skating fan vote for when Condi runs against Hillary and Obama.
    Barack Obama on Figure Skating:

    "You all watch the winter Olympics? Mrs. Bush was there, representing our country, and that was great. I'm sure a lot of us in politics were following that figure skating, because we can identify with performers who spin wildly and sometimes fall on their butts...

    "I also enjoyed that biathlon, where they ski and shoot at the same time. Probably not your sport, Mr. Vice President."

  2. #17
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973
    OBAMA TO SAVE THE U.S.A.!!!!!

  3. #18
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    "I also enjoyed that biathlon, where they ski and shoot at the same time."
    That is some kinda sport there, I 'spose the target jumps around too.

  4. #19
    Ballroom Baby
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    642
    Lol, you get to stop and lie prone to shoot (I used to think about biathalon, as I both Nordic ski and shoot, but I'm too short to do Nordic with all those tall people with big steps.)

    As to what the husbands thought, probably "Cool, I get to have dinner/lunch/whatever at the White House." Most people would go. I know I would. I'd have gone under the previous administration and managed somehow to be civil and just enjoy that hey, it's a dinner at the White House, even though I'd have no respect for any member of the administration, their staff, or anyone connected with them.

    And in this case, the outgoing PM of Japan sounds like a trip. (Elvis fan. He wanted to visit Graceland on this trip, so they went.)

  5. #20
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,207
    I'm sure there were non-ethnic guests, as well.

    After all, the Bush's also took the Japanese PM to Graceland because he's such a huge Elvis fan.

  6. #21
    Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    Well Condi Rice was a former skater... so... ???
    Maybe Condi wanted to meet those skaters.

  7. #22
    In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle at last!!!
    Posts
    2,884
    Can anyone here imagine Johnny Weir being invited to a White House dinner, especially under the current administration??

  8. #23
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    Can anyone here imagine Johnny Weir being invited to a White House dinner, especially under the current administration??
    GWB - " What in the world are you wearin' there boy?"
    JW - "Mr President, that is a scarf around my neck and on my hand is Camille."
    GWB - "What do ya mean a scarf, that ain't no scarf it's made of feathers." "And what in the h*** is a Camille?" "Looks like one of them wierd hand things from The Animal Planet."
    JW - "Mr. President Camille is a character from one of my programs?''
    GWB - "You in a program too, boy?" "I used to be in a twelve step program." "Your program got twelve steps?"
    JW - "Mr. President my programs have hundreds of steps."
    GWB - "Did you say hundreds of steps?" "Boy you been on crack?"
    JW - "Mr. President my programs are figure skating programs."
    GWB - " I know you're kind of skinny, but why ain't you playin ball like a normal boy."
    JW - "Figure skating is my sport."
    GWB - "I don't know where you come from, but in Texas, twirlin' around on the ice in feathers and sparkly pantyhose ain't a sport." "Here comes Dick Cheney you better hide them feathers and that bird head."

  9. #24
    In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle at last!!!
    Posts
    2,884
    Piel --



    TOO FUNNY!!

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,051
    I read somewhere that on the day the US Olympians went to the White House, Johnny had "personal commitments" that kept him from attending. In this kind of case, though, the invitee can, if they so choose, decline the invitation.

    I think the rules are different for state meals in honor of foreign dignitaries, where there are always a lot of Americans descended from the dignitary's home country. In those cases, the invitee might be worried about offending one if they declined the invitation -- for example, a Chinese American who wouldn't want to meet Pres. Bush due to political disagreement, might not want to offend Pres. Hu, due to fear of retaliation against other relatives still in China.

  11. #26
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,334
    Here are Rena and John at the reception, from the COI web site

    http://www.championsonice.com/images...edinner017.jpg

  12. #27
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    GWB - " What in the world are you wearin' there boy?"
    JW - "Mr President, that is a scarf around my neck and on my hand is Camille."
    GWB - "What do ya mean a scarf, that ain't no scarf it's made of feathers." "And what in the h*** is a Camille?" "Looks like one of them wierd hand things from The Animal Planet."
    JW - "Mr. President Camille is a character from one of my programs?''
    GWB - "You in a program too, boy?" "I used to be in a twelve step program." "Your program got twelve steps?"
    JW - "Mr. President my programs have hundreds of steps."
    GWB - "Did you say hundreds of steps?" "Boy you been on crack?"
    JW - "Mr. President my programs are figure skating programs."
    GWB - " I know you're kind of skinny, but why ain't you playin ball like a normal boy."
    JW - "Figure skating is my sport."
    GWB - "I don't know where you come from, but in Texas, twirlin' around on the ice in feathers and sparkly pantyhose ain't a sport." "Here comes Dick Cheney you better hide them feathers and that bird head."


    Piel - you owe me a new keyboard and monitor!!!!!


  13. #28
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    JW - "Mr. President Camille is a character from one of my programs?''
    GWB - "You in a program too, boy?" "I used to be in a twelve step program." "Your program got twelve steps?"
    JW - "Mr. President my programs have hundreds of steps."
    GWB - "Did you say hundreds of steps?" "Boy you been on crack?"
    How about in response this johnny says: " No Mr. President but my costume from a couple of seasons ago was"

    Ant

  14. #29
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,334
    The current issue of Time magazine has a little feature about Bush's style of entertaining foreign dignitaries, how he typically invites them to his ranch, etc.

    About the luncheon for President Hu of China, Time says:

    "Message in a Meal? The Presidents of Mexico, Poland, the Philippines and Kenya were honored by [President Bush] with White House state dinners. The Chinese fought for [Chinese President] Hu Jintao to be so feted when he visited in April -- but had to settle for a 'social lunch.'"

    In other words, it's a diplomatic slap in the face to be invited to lunch with Michelle Kwan. (Slap me, slap me!)

    MM

  15. #30
    Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    (Slap me, slap me!)
    In your dreams, MM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •