Standing in the Shadows of Motown | Golden Skate

Standing in the Shadows of Motown

P

Piel

Standing in the Shadows of Motown

Have any of you seen this documentary? It is the story of the musicians known as The Funk Brothers who played on all of the Motown classics.
<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>By the end of their phenomenal run, this unheralded group of musicians had played on more number ones hits than the Beach Boys, the Rolling Stones, Elvis and the Beatles combined - which makes them the greatest hit machine in the history of popular music[/quote]

Great soundtrack that won two grammys featuring Joan Osborne, M'shell Ndegeocello, Gerald Levert, Ben Harper, and Bootsy Collins.

www.standingintheshadowsofmotown.com/

Piel

M

mathman444

Re: Standing in the Shadows of Motown

Yes, I did see that documentary. Pretty amazing. They are coming to the Meadowbrook Theater at Oakland University in suburban Detroit in August. We hope to be able to go. It is part of the Meadowbrook Summer Music Festival, which also features several concerts by the Detoit Symphony Orchestra. I am especially hoping to go to the Mozart and the Rachmaninov concerts.

Mathman

R

rgirl181

I LOVED this documentary! I'm so glad you brought it up, Piel. Plus the DVD has a lot of extras in terms of amazing singing. Happy that those guys got to do what they loved but angry that they were so exploited. If you love popular music, especially Motown, this is a must-see.
Rgirl

P

Piel

Rgirl, I just ordered the DVD and can't wait to hear the additional music. Joan Osborne was so great on "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted". I had always thought that it was David Ruffin's song but found out that it was his brother Jimmy's. Harold (Kevin Kline) in "The Big Chill" was right!

Mathman, I am so jealous. Probably no chance that the tour will come here. You will give us a review?

Piel

R

rgirl181

Piel,
Thanks for reminding me that I am extremely jealous of Mathman for all that stuff he'll probably get to see:p

Yeah, Joan Osborne was a revelation. I liked her before but now I'm like, "This woman has big-time soul!"

You will LOVE the DVD, I promise.
Rgirl

M

mathman444

Right, Rgirl, you only live in New York, so you miss out on all the big stuff.

Speaking of Motown exploiting people, it was pretty much understood that you had to sleep with Barry Gordy if you wanted Motown to push your career.

But I can't say too much about that, because the Gordy Foundation is a generous contributer to special programs at my school.

Mathman

P

Piel

Mathman, it's good that The Gordy Foundation helps out your school. I'm sure that there are a lot of tales to be told about what went on in the early days of Motown. I just finished reading Genna Sapia Ruffin's (claims to have been David's commom law wife, or at least one of them) memoirs of her life with and without him. This has got to be one of the most depressing things that I have ever read. How much is true we'll never know. Next, I am going to read Otis Williams' book that "The Temptations" movie was based on to hear "another side of the story". Ms. Sapia Ruffin had nothing good to say about Tammie Terrell, Jimmy Ruffin, Otis, or Barry Gordy to name just a few. She writes as if she is not sure about much of anything to the point that I began to wonder why she wrote the book other than as she states "it was a part of her healing process".:eek: :

Rgirl, a few years ago Joan Osborne and Tony Rich did a very hot duet of the Stones' "Beast of Burden" on one of VH1's Save the Music concerts.:cool:

Piel