Thread: Worlds 1993 - Women's competition

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Worlds 1993 - Women's competition

I've been rewatching some videos of the 1993 worlds lps...Kerrigan bombed. Baiul (1st), Bonaly (2nd), Chen (3rd). Does anyone have any thoughts on this competition. I was too young at the time to remember, but was there any controvery over Baiul's win? I thought Bonaly and Chen were far, far, far superior to Baiul (and not only because of her jumps: no combinations, double-footed jumps).

I didn't see that Worlds, but I remember Baiul in later years as the teenybopper waif who tugged at the hearts of many fans. I always saw a lot of potential in Oksana, but for me it never really gelled. Her early Pro skates were better, but she continued to double foot her jump landings.

Joe

Rinkside

93 worlds

Ok, I have a few thoughts on this, Kerrigan was a disaster and bombed, after being the overwhelming favorite, and Baiul's hard luck story really touched the judges, and being the panel was dominated by the European judges, they favored her very much, and felt she was artisitic, but they often overlooked her flaws. She skated a clean and vibrant short program and that is what set her up to win. No one would ever let Bonaly win because of her style and off ice antics, and possibly even because of some prejudice against her and her mother and their lies that they made up. Lu deserved that world title more than anyone, and Im surprised she got stuck with bronze, but she was already far down from the short program and she couldnt make up the distance. What was more ridiculous was the putrid performance by Lisa Erwiin and Tonia Kwiatokwoski, two skaters who had no buisness being in a world championships at that time. That US nationals that year was a farce, by far the weakest US field in History. Incidentally, Eliaine Zayak came out of retirement because she felt the whole field there looked "beatable" Interesting !!!

Custom Title
    Bonaly should have won this one. Everyone fell in love with 15 year old Oksana. Not only was her story and her vulnerability appealing, but she had wonderful basic skating skills, and beautiful spins. The triple lutz was wonderful. The landings on some other jumps seemed a bit weak, but they were clean- landed on one foot. She skated a clean program without a jump combination. Bonaly had a much more challenging program in terms of jumps. She skated clean and used edges more than she had in the past. As in the case of Yuka Sato at the 1994 worlds, her edges did not come close to her competitor's. However, based on the jump content alone I felt that she should have won. The judges, however, gave higher marks to Baiul for artistry and she won.

I just viewed 93 as typical for a post Olympics year, especially back then. With the exception of Nancy, it was all about the up and comers. The difference was that the Olympics would be in 94 instead of 96.

Custom Title
    My personal favorite performances were given by Marina Kielmen. the energy was amazing. I also foung Tanja Szwejchenko quite enchanting.