Is Katy Taylor ready for prime time? | Golden Skate

Is Katy Taylor ready for prime time?

Katy was knocking on the door last year, with a fourth place finish at U.S. Nationals and the gold medal at Four Continents, beating Yukari Nakano and Beatrisa Liang. Her point total at 4Cs was 164.05, missing only her triple loop in the LP (for comparison, Kimmie Maissner's score at the Olympics was 165.7) She didn't do a triple/triple, but had all level 3 and 4 spins.

This year she's first out of the box in the Grand Prix, with Skate America and Skate Canada (like Alissa Czisny last year). If she can medal in both she will be sitting pretty.

But it won't be easy. She faces Mao Asada, Kimmie and Miki Ando at Skate America, and Fumie Suguri, Yu-na Kim and Joannie Rochette in Skate Canada.

I like her chances. Her LP music this year is Forrest Gump. (?!) Now there's an interpretive challenge!

Does anyone know if she is working on a triple/triple?

Skye

On the Ice
Peggy said Katy Taylor was going to go for a 3Lz+3T at the Nationals, but it seems she opted to play it safe and switched to a 3Lz+2T. I actually thought she had a better presentation than either Kimmie Meissner or Emily Hughes, but I guess the judges are seeing something I'm missing through my TV monitor. :eek:hwell:

"Forrest Gump" was last year's LP. Katy's programs for the coming season are "Happy Feet" (SP) and "Tchaikovsky's Piano Trio" (LP). If performed well, I believe she has a chance to medal at both SA and SC. But considering all the luck she has had in the JGPs, she would probably end up being a runner-up for the Grand Prix Finals at best.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I like her chances. Her LP music this year is Forrest Gump. (?!) Now there's an interpretive challenge!

Does anyone know if she is working on a triple/triple?

that was her LP last year too... I love the music and I LOVE her program, so I'm okay with her keeping it as we didn't get to see her as much as the others...

I think, if she doesn't get hounded with media pressure, she'll be fine... then again she could even do well with the media... who knows... she has that pink hummer to buy, so she's got some incentive to win the big money prize :laugh:

R

riverflows

I just saw her today at the COI in Dallas, and I must say, she's a good skater, but her jumps just aren't as solid. Now that she's going up against the jumping machines, she's really going to have to work hard. I wish her the best of luck, but in my opinion, it would be a surprise if she made the GPF.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Katy was knocking on the door last year, with a fourth place finish at U.S. Nationals and the gold medal at Four Continents, beating Yukari Nakano
It should be noted that Taylor placed 2nd in the FS to Nakano. :) Her strong SP (2nd to Liang) helped elevate her final placement.

inloveagain said:
Katy's programs for the coming season are "Happy Feet" (SP) and "Tchaikovsky's Piano Trio" (LP).
Taylor's new SP is "Happy Feet" from the film, Shall We Dance, according to this July 2nd Houston Chronicle article: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4018724.html
Her new FS is to Tchaikovsky's "Theme and Variations" according to her official site (her journal was updated on July 2):
http://www.figureskatersonline.com/katytaylor/programs.html

From what I know of Taylor, she's a really hard worker who approaches her skating with a positive attitude and is very aware of the areas she needs to improve on. She always seems to relish new challenges, too, and competing on the Senior Grand Prix this fall should be a valuable learning experience for her.

riverflows said:
I just saw her today at the COI in Dallas,
What program/type of music did she skate to in the Dallas show?

Last edited:
R

riverflows

I'm not sure what the title was, but it was a country song sung by a woman with the line "don't worry" over and over again. It was very cute and very fitting.

Tschaikowski's Theme and Variations is just that - many variations in tempo. Ballanchine created a popular neoclassic ballet to it. It runs about 20 minutes. There is an adagio section which at its conclusion bursts into a Polonaise.

I hope Katy and camp make a good 4 minute cut of this theme and variations. I think it will be a challenge and put Carmen to rest.

Joe

freakout

Spectator
I think Katy is a little cutie and I hope she does really well next season. I think it will be tough going against the jumping beans but hopefully she will be strong with her jumps.:)

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Katy Taylor......

As I recall, Katy Taylor is a talented skater. She reminds me a bit of Tara Lipinski with her style of skating. She seems to have a lot of energy and spark. I agree with whomever stated that Katy has better presentation than Kimmie. Katy skates with a lot of personality.

Dizzy

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Personally, Katy Taylor is less 'practiced' and far more genuine than Tara Lipinski. And her mother, unlike Pat Lipinski, stays out of the limelight and doesn't talk to reporters. How refreshing!

dizzydi7 said:
As I recall, Katy Taylor is a talented skater. She reminds me a bit of Tara Lipinski with her style of skating. She seems to have a lot of energy and spark. I agree with whomever stated that Katy has better presentation than Kimmie. Katy skates with a lot of personality.Dizzy
Some people love the bubbly little girl. Others, like me, prefer the more mature lady. I'm hoping she skates with a bit of 'homage to the Czar' which Theme and Variations calls for. It's not for little girls.

I remember watching her in Portland - her first Nats. Very nervous. Happy to see that 4C was a big boost, and looking forward to seeing her this season.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I think of Katy as much more of a young lady and not so much a "Tara type" - she has a cool sense about her like Kwan :)eek: eesh did I really just compare.....) - on the attitude, "posture of personality" as MK seemed to me to have when I was first seeing of Michelle around 94 - 98. Youthful exuberance without being goofy and childish.

Please note that I am sure someone will not agree with the comparison, but as a "newbee" to FS then and not going as in-depth as I am starting to now....anyway, please don't hurt me. I know "nothing compares to Kwan.":laugh:

As to answer the question of the thread, yes I think she is from what I have seen and heard - here at GS mainly.

brinababy87

Rinkside
I think Katy looks a little bit like Tara used to in her energetic style.

Katy is clearly a very talented skater, and a super hard-worker. I get the sense from her journals that she doesn't take her success so far for granted, and that she really enjoys what she does.

soogar

Record Breaker
I definitely get the Tara vibe from Katy. Must be something in the water in Sugarland b/c Katy looks like Tara and skates like her as well. Especially the way she holds her arms out on her jump landings.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Does Katy have an Arm above the head jump?

I just don't see her as being so "cutesy cutesy" as Tara was. I guess it is just me. The rest of you are more likely right about that then me. Skating wise - tech - that I don't dare comment on. But pres, I just haven't seen it I guess.

Last edited:
About "bubbly little girl" versus "more mature style," in the fluff pieces about her at Nationals last year, ABC did everything they could to make her seem like a vaccuus, silly twit. It will be interesting to see how the TV folks will approach her this year.

IMHO, she must score well in her two Grand Prix events for people to start taking her seriously.

MM :)

soogar

Record Breaker
SeaniBu said:
I just don't see her as being so "cutesy cutesy" as Tara was. I guess it is just me. .

Katy is also older than Tara was when she competed. Tara wasn't so cutesy cutesy after touring with SOI for a year.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Katy is also older than Tara was when she competed. Tara wasn't so cutesy cutesy after touring with SOI for a year.
That is probably where it is coming from - my ignorance, I never saw any of Tara's SOI.