Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Calgary Worlds revisited on ESPN2

Calgary Worlds revisited on ESPN2

Sometimes the rerun of championships on TV show another aspect which the original didn't and often skaters who did not make the first showing somehow get on the rerun.

It's Tuesday night on ESPN2 in NYC. It might be different in your neck of the woods. N.B. Heather's listing is Monday, so check your locals.

Some things to check:

D&S and D&L - A very close competition. Do you think it could have been different?

B&A - Are they still valid for the gold next season?

M&S - Not their best. Do you think they may be overrated?

P&T - Was their imrovement worthy of the gold?

M&B - Are they now 'gold' competitive?

I&B - Should the judges take note this year?

Kimmie - How bad was the performance, if you think it was?

Fumie - Without doubling the jump could she have won?

Sasha - Will she continue to be gold worthy?

Stephane - Was the Caller correct in downgrading the 3A?

Joubert - Even with Stephane's downgrade, can he beat him without a downgrade?

Lysacek - Will he continue to be the perenniel bronze against all those skaters?

Your replies appreciated and your additional questions most welcome.

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 07-09-2006 at 04:34 PM.

What a great list of things to look for this second go around. Thanks Joe. I didn't get it taped the first time and will be loading it directly to the comp this shot. It is also listed with the same air time as you have down for my region as well.

I will answer the Fumie question now though as a yes, provided she would have given just one more smile at the end. - I was / am wrong:boohoo: :frown2:

Sasha will definitely continue to be "silver worthy" IMO.

That's it for now, because unlike allot of you members here, I need lots of review and even then am often wrong.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 07-12-2006 at 02:22 PM.

Shoe Diva
    In an on-going effort to become a more well-rounded fan vs. skater specific, I have a print out Joe's questions in order to watch this re-cast. Mainly because I was so disappointed by the Olympics, those feelings carried over into Worlds.

I'm really looking forward to seeing both Fumie & Kimmie... Fumie because she's Fumie & Kimmie because I want to view her over-all skating vs. focusing on those hands...

The most interesting will probably be Mens & Dance... I didn't understand how Joubert didn't win & cannot see the hub-bub about the Canadians... but it could just be Somewhere in Time vs. overall skating...

Thanks Joe! This might actually remind me of why I'm a skating fan to begin with... the actual skating (now there's a thought...)

Rinkside
    Being from Canada, I guess I should be supporting Dubreuil & Lauzon but I also cannot see the big hub-bub about them. Their FD really bored me and I think that their technical qualities aren't as good as the other top 5 teams. I personally would've kept Denkova & Staviyski in first but I would've put Delobel & Schoenfelder in 2nd (too bad their FD fell flat with the audience - what were they thinking using Italian vocals in a predominantly English-speaking city?), and Drobiazko & Vanagas in 3rd. I also think that Belbin & Agosto should've finished in 4th, the Canadians in 5th and I would have switched the 6th place team (Chait & Sakhnovsky) with the 7th place team (Domnina & Shabalin).

Custom Title
    Here's the listing I found at espn.com:
    Tuesday, July 11 on ESPN2
    ISU World Figure Skating Championships presented by Olay
    Pairs Free / Ladies Free 7:30 pm to 11:00 pm Eastern

Oh, bummer, the men's was where the action was! Maybe that will be on later.

BTW, I found the ESPN2 web site to be quite annoying to navigate.

OK, Joe, I promise to watch and form my opinions without looking at the judges' protocols first. (I have them memorized anyway -- even with the downgrade on the Axel, Lambiel still scored a half a point higher than Joubert on the base values of his technical elements. )

MM

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Oh, bummer, the men's was where the action was! Maybe that will be on later.

BTW, I found the ESPN2 web site to be quite annoying to navigate.

OK, Joe, I promise to watch and form my opinions without looking at the judges' protocols first. (I have them memorized anyway -- even with the downgrade on the Axel, Lambiel still scored a half a point higher than Joubert on the base values of his technical elements. )

MM
    Too bad there aren't protocols for sheer hotness... Joubert would be the OGM!!

I'm big on Lambiel, and he deserved his first place, but I must confess, if it had been 6.0, Joubert would have gotten it.

Anyway we are not going to see that comp. or Dance, but we will see the Ladies and Pairs.3-1/2 hours! There has to be things we didn't see in the original.

Joe

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    I'm big on Lambiel, and he deserved his first place, but I must confess, if it had been 6.0, Joubert would have gotten it.

Anyway we are not going to see that comp. or Dance, but we will see the Ladies and Pairs.3-1/2 hours! There has to be things we didn't see in the original.

Joe
    Ah Ha! More of a reason to ban CoP.... First Joubert, now the French Soccer (Thierre Henri... so very hot...) team... whatta shame...

I am looking forward to seeing the Pairs... which I didn't see the first time around... still so bitter about J&J's silver at the Games, that I swore off Pairs... I'm over it now & look forward to seeing the competition... espcially since I know the results

Also for the information of others in my area, it airs at 5:30. Colorado.

I'm not Canadian, so I guess I should have rooted for B & A over D & L-but I really did like their FD this year. It was so different from what we have seen in ice dance the last few years (Latin, Latin, Latin, Gypsy, over the top drama, and did I mention Latin) that I was really moved by it. They really seemed to put a lot of heart into it and it seemed like a very natural, unforced style for them.

Of course, they will probably do something Latin next year and I will sigh...
    In any case, I think they did deserve the silver, IMHO. I was also glad Lambiel won and I am still a bit in shock over Kimmie--though she admittedly was very good that nigh.

Custom Title
    After rewatching Worlds Ladies FS, I am amazed that Joannie Rochette got such high PCS marks for what had to be her sloppiest FS ever. Her marks were actually higher than what she got in Torino for a very excellent performance.

Worlds - 4 triples landed, one fall, two popped jumps
    7.00 6.89 7.07 7.11 7.11 Total 56.29
    Torino - 6 triples landed, one doubled jump
    7.07 6.75 7.04 7.11 7.11 Total 56.13

Custom Title
    Too late for me to watch. Wish I had visited here earlier.

After re-watching the Ladies FS I am still totally confused on how Sasha
    took the Bronze. She made quite a few technical mistakes which I think affected the overall quality of her program. I thought her scores were very very generous. I think that is the worse I have ever seen Sasha skate. She skated that program so beautifully at Nationals and at the Olympics and I wanted her to do that at Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5
    After re-watching the Ladies FS I am still totally confused on how Sasha took the Bronze.
    YElena was better IMO

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast