Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If Michelle doesn't compete...

If Michelle doesn't compete...

I was just watching the ESPN re-broadcast of Calgary worlds. Even though Michelle wasn't competing there, ESPN still did a fluff piece on Michelle Kwan (understandably, after the Olympic disappointment). Anyway, figure skating has relied so much on Michelle's fan base and celebrity status to promote their events, and I wonder where they will be without her now if she decides not to compete. I'm sure that ESPN and other broadcasters will do their best to make sure she is involved in some way. You noticed that when Michelle couldn't compete at the Olympics, she was immediantly asked to sit in the comentators booth. She has an elegant way with words and such compassion and I wonder if she will decide to take on that kind of position. I'm sure that broadcasters such as ESPN would die to have Michelle any way they can get her. What do you think? Do you think Michelle would consider taking Peggy Fleming's place in the future? I think she would be great, although I would prefer to see her skate!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Arianne
    Do you think Michelle would consider taking Peggy Fleming's place in the future? I think she would be great, although I would prefer to see her skate!
    Well, Michelle's had a long business relationship with ABC (ESPN's parent company), so I'm sure the thought has crossed their minds. But I doubt they'd dump Peggy whenever her contract is up unless they locked Michelle in for commentary duties. Frankly, I don't see her going in that direction. But you never know.

One never knows what MK will be doing in the future.

Figure Skating will go on without her especially in other parts of the World.

Joe

Banned
    At some point Peggy will probably want to spend more time at home, I just dont see her wanting to do that until she is 80 like Dick. So yeah Michelle could end up being her replacement at some point soon.

Custom Title
    Peggy Fleming is just about to turn 58, hardly time for her to be assigned to a rocking chair. Why would she want to spend more time at home now, with her children all grown and out on their own?

Custom Title
    Would she need the same kind of "training" to do the interviews as she would need for commentating (not just the background work on skating/skaters, but the voice lessons, etc.)? Maybe, Michelle will do the interviews. Won't it be a shock to have a courteous interviewer, instead of Peter C or Christine B?

Has MK mentioned working on ABC Figure Skating events? or is this speculation?

Joe

Joe, this was only an "I wonder" thread. I said I thought that ESPN would want to get Michelle involved because she is good for publicity. Plus, you remember how she was immediently contacted to do commentary at the Olympics after she pulled out. Her celebrity status certainly can't hurt the ratings....

I love Michelle's skating but I think she'd be a horrible commentator so I hope she doesn't go that route.

boggartlaura, why do you think she would be a horrible commentator? We've never even heard here commentate. Would you like to elaborate on your statement?

I think if she were to do that, she would have to get some training in speaking. She doesn't always ennunciate, which no one ever does unless trained, and for me it is annoying. It's not that I can't understand what she's saying, there are just some words that need to be said correctly. lol

I wouldn't doubt that ABC hasn't already though of it. NBC was willing to give her a slot, so in 4 years we may see her in teh booth (anyone'd be better than Besic)... either way we will see her on American Television next season with updates on her during several competitions (my guess - Skate America, US Nationals, and Worlds) if she isn't in the booth....

it will all depend on if she wants to try for another season...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    One never knows what MK will be doing in the future.

Figure Skating will go on without her especially in other parts of the World.

Joe

I hope when MK is through competing she will take on a commentary role on ABC/ESPN. In addition, I believe MK was a commentator in the movie “Ice Princess".

no doubt that figure skating will go on without Michelle... I was just pointing out that they have relied on her celebrity here in the U.S. to promote the events.

Custom Title
    Well I agree that Michelle needs some speech work. But if Shannon Miller can become an articulate commentator (as she has for Comcast gymnastic telecasts) after years of being painfully shy, awkward and barely coherent as a teenager, Michelle can certainly learn to improve.

However, if past articles are any indication, she's still considering some type of skating, wants to finish her college degree, and has a passing interest in many different non-skating areas.

Bottom line: I'm 100% positive ABC/ESPN would leap at the chance to put her in the commentator chair. I'm less than 50% sure that MK has any interest in doing so.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast