Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Calgary Worlds revisited on ESPN2

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    Classic... Exactly!!! We all know what the judges thought based on their scores... we simply don't agree with the numbers... this is probably the third biggest gripe I have with Cop & the Boards... we act like the numbers are infalliable ~ that scores are fair ~ that the judging has REALLY changed ~ the Emperor has new clothes...
    Still, I do like one aspect of the NJS. Under the ordinal system, all we could do if we disagreed with the judges' placements was whine and cry along the lines of, "How dare the judges say that Tara was the best? I thought Michelle was!"

Now we can whine and cry, "How dare the judges give a 0 GOE on Elena Sokolova's triple filp? The lack of flow out of the landing edge should have got her a -1!!!!!!!"

In Chuckm's post, he wasn't saying that he agreed with the judges, just that Sasha was so far ahead of Elena (pointwise) after the short that she was unable to overtake her despite her superior LP -- espcially since Sasha was overmarked in PCSs in the long.

This was in response to the question, "After re-watching the Ladies FS I am still totally confused on how Sasha took the Bronze." That's how.

MM
    Last edited by Mathman; 07-12-2006 at 05:21 PM.

The Eurosport guys really love I and B. I love to hear their commentary and they were ecstatic when I and B skated so well at Worlds. I almost feel like Rena and John would have been encouraged to continue just by hearing such an honest and enthusiastic assessment of their performance. It was so funny when one of them figured out that Rena was calling the spins. They thought that was great. They also stated that their jumps were really in sync in that long program and the program got better and more energetic as it went along.

I have to say again that I really LOVE those British Eurosport guys.

Thank you Chuckm for your post with Sasha's numbers.
    Ditto to Mathman for your expertise explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Pet and Tik were the best team that night, imo, and Z&Z had nothing to offer except high lifts. I presume high lifts are the equivalent to quads in singles whereby the contestants win extra undeserved points on other elements.
    But Z&Z did not medal because of FS. In fact, they placed 4th in FS, behind I&B. They won due to their lead in SP. So, I'd say that under the old system the Russians should have won, but under CoP it was fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman

This was in response to the question, "After re-watching the Ladies FS I am still totally confused on how Sasha took the Bronze." That's how.

MM
    As always, insightful and correct. I in humility to the fine powers of observation I alas do not posses at this time. Particularly taking into consideration the QR and SP, I was foolish to speak with my heart.

I would believe to a slight degree that the SP and QR were also a little "nice to" Sasha. But again an assumption that I can not review. The most interesting thing to me was I was in agreeance in March with everything but Fumie I believe being a little underscored.

Caught up in the moment. But that LP of Sasha's was 20% not so attractive. Even her spiral seemed a little wobbly..anyhoo I stand corrected and have to deal with the facts.

JoRo - Unfortunate performance on home ice... but the thing that really bugs me is her music choices... I don't understand why she skates to piano music when you just know that something different would highlight her unique-ness... I'd love to see her skate to Rush... or something more modern. That elevator music just doesn't do her justice...
    That SP to Like A Prayer was just awful...did not one person say to her - listen up, love, generic female ballad's are rarely good to skate to, even in exhibitions, why on god's green earth have you decided to take a murdered orchestral version of a well known pop song and skate to it????

I hope she gets better music selections for next year...unfortunately the problem with ladies skating is the amount of "pretty pretty" piano music all the baby ballerina's want to skate to. Don't even get me started on the ridiculous pieces of music Yoshie Onda was skating to this season...or the costume for that matter!

Ant

As one poster before me said, it's hard to believe that I think the Russians was robbed!

One can look at those points scores, but one doesn't have to swallow them. They are all opinions on what each judged noticed and then combined to give an opinionated total.

Pet and Tik were the best team that night, imo, and Z&Z had nothing to offer except high lifts. I presume high lifts are the equivalent to quads in singles whereby the contestants win extra undeserved points on other elements.

Joe
    Joe i'm confused...when you say high lifts do you mean the twist lift rather than the overhead lifts?

I had a funny image in head of Male skaters going out in stilts to get higher lifts!!

Ant

Zhang throws and lifts Zhang higher in the atmosphere than other men skating in Pairs do with their partners. It's quite obvious.

Custom Title
    I'm not sure if this was on the rebroadast, but on youtube I found Sasha's interview with Peter Carruthers after her short program. I have to say I was for Sasha! Sometimes I find Peter to be a total jerk. Props to Sasha!

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Too bad there aren't protocols for sheer hotness... Joubert would be the OGM!!
    KW, I like the way you think. You always bring that little edge of naughtiness into the conversation. YOU BAD GIRL!!!

Dee

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707
    KW, I like the way you think. You always bring that little edge of naughtiness into the conversation. YOU BAD GIRL!!!

Dee
    Around here, if you can't hang with the techies, you'd better be able to "color commentate" ~ I think of myself as the Terry Gannon of the Board... I don't know crap, but that doesn't keep me from yapping anyway!!!

Around here, if you can't hang with the techies, you'd better be able to "color commentate" ~ I think of myself as the Terry Gannon of the Board... I don't know crap, but that doesn't keep me from yapping anyway!!!
    And you don't need to check the score details before the yap!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Those are photos. Check em out on good TV work and any photos of I&B?

And you don't need to check the score details before the yap!!!
    And not only that, what's even more cool about opinions is that they are never wrong and they are never right!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast