Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Calgary Worlds revisited on ESPN2

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228
    But it was not a plus for Suguri at the Olympics. She was visibly off her music in the straightline step sequence....
    In the LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuranthium
    Some skaters do their own choreography or at least part of it. In the end, though, the skater themself has to execute it. How well they move to the music should be the basis for judging this program component.
    I think you are saying that it is not compulsory for a skater to do their own choreography although the skater is judged for it regardless if the skater paid top dollars for a pro to do it for him/her.

(Moving to music is of primary importance even when doing crossovers.)

Joe

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    I think you are saying that it is not compulsory for a skater to do their own choreography although the skater is judged for it regardless if the skater paid top dollars for a pro to do it for him/her.

(Moving to music is of primary importance even when doing crossovers.)

Joe
    A crossover is choreography; any movement is choreography. And the skater is the one doing the moving. Paying somebody to create a program for you certainly adds to the maximum level you can achieve (if you can't come up with something better yourself), but in the end the skater is responsible for how their movements are in time with the music. My explaination may sound like the Performance/Execution component but that one should be about how well you do your arm movements and such, along with the general speed, energy, and posture of the performer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuranthium
    A crossover is choreography; any movement is choreography. And the skater is the one doing the moving. Paying somebody to create a program for you certainly adds to the maximum level you can achieve (if you can't come up with something better yourself), but in the end the skater is responsible for how their movements are in time with the music. My explaination may sound like the Performance/Execution component but that one should be about how well you do your arm movements and such, along with the general speed, energy, and posture of the performer.
    I presume you are saying here that choreography is not judged on composition. It is judged on just how well you do whatever you or someone else laid out for you to do.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Zhang throws and lifts Zhang higher in the atmosphere than other men skating in Pairs do with their partners. It's quite obvious.
    I'm terribly sorry for questioning such an obvious statement then!!

So you do think having a tall male skater that can therefore lift a partner "higher in the atmosphere" is better???? I'd be interested to know why since height of lift of the ice on an overhead lift doesn't make any sense to me except the twist lift.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    The only problem is that this isn't ordinal judging any more. Points, points, points.

Take away all of Kimmies GOEs, give Fumie a do-over on her doubled jump, and Kimmie is still ahead on base value for the technical elements, 63.4 to 59.2.

As for program component scores, under the CoP they just more or less repeat the tech scores. I'm not saying that's right, its just the way it is under the New Judging System. Do a triple-triple, get a 7.5 in choreography and transitions.

To see this, compare Kimmie's program component scores in the Olympics with Worlds. At the Olympics she got 53.54. At Worlds, 60.23. Did she suddenly develop superior skating skills and a deeper felling for the music in the intervening month?

No, in the Olympics she flubbed both of her triple/triple combos and at Worlds she nailed them. The CoP loves that kind of "choreography and interpretation."

MM
    MM i do agree with everythign you've written but i would give Kimmie a bit more credit, in that i think she did deserve slightly higher PCS for her worlds performance than she did for her Olympic LP performance because i think she did a better job with the music. At the Olympics i wasn't convinced she was doing anything more than following someone's instruction on choreogprahy but by worlds some of the movements looked more natural and like things with regards to musicality were beginning to click.

Which is why i think she is a skater that has the capacity to improve an awful lot in that area - throughout the course of one season she has made a marked improvement.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb
    I'm terribly sorry for questioning such an obvious statement then!!

So you do think having a tall male skater that can therefore lift a partner "higher in the atmosphere" is better???? I'd be interested to know why since height of lift of the ice on an overhead lift doesn't make any sense to me except the twist lift.

Ant
    Is Zhang all that tall?

I wouldn't get worked up over this stuff. Different tastes for different people.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7