Thread: Why no women in the Tour de France?

Why no women in the Tour de France?

WHY?

Not even a women's division. ?

As a cyclist...well I was riding modified "10 speeds" in the late 80s and still enjoy the ride in the hills on the MB...I notice that there are a large number of women riding in this "neck of the woods."

Anyway, any thoughts on this.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Seems to me that there IS a Women's Tour de France, or at any rate WAS, at one point, it just doesn't/didn't get near the publicity. I think that Jeannie Longo, one of the great women's cyclists of all time (and by all accounts one of female athletics' all time biggest ******s), won it a few times, which is how I think I heard of it.

That is interesting. I have even heard of women's cycling events all over Europe, but somehow I never hear of that. :sheesh:
    I guess all it took is a Google seach, so I guess the real question is how is the so little talk / interest in the women's trek.
    BTW - Womens Tour de France was, June 27-July 1, 2006
    For as much as I would inadvertently hear about the Men....
    Thanks JonnyCoop.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 07-11-2006 at 01:50 AM.

Custom Title
    Perhaps it's like NASCAR.
    People watch NASCAR (and other so-called 'motor sports') to see fiery crashes.
    Perhaps they like to see a bunch of guys permanently damage their perineal regions, whereas women would just be riding bicycles.....

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang
    Perhaps it's like NASCAR.
    People watch NASCAR (and other so-called 'motor sports') to see fiery crashes.
    Perhaps they like to see a bunch of guys permanently damage their perineal regions, whereas women would just be riding bicycles.....

I've been trying to watch the Tour... but without Lance, its just guys racing around France... ho hum