Host City for 2014 Olympics, down to 3 | Golden Skate

Host City for 2014 Olympics, down to 3

Which city should host the 2014 Olympics?

• Sochi, Russia

Votes: 27 24.5%
  • Salzburg, Austria

Votes: 65 59.1%
  • PyeongChang, South Korea

Votes: 18 16.4%

• Total voters

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
We did this before, but with many more options. Now, there are only 3 candidates left to host the 2014 Olympics. Which one do you think it should be?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Still Austria for me

though I'd be happier if Alaskans would rally around the idea of hosting it in the Anchorage/Mat-Su area... we could handle it well!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I voted for Austria, but all three cities would be really convenient places to watch on TV for me (= time zones).

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Gotta go with PyeongChang (??) [Can't see it at the moment, so can't verify spelling]. Both Asian Winter Games have been in Japan. I say spread it around. Tho Russia would be a close second, just as overall compensation for a Moscow Olympiad boycotted by half the world. (Thank you, Mr. Carter. Boy, you really showed them, didn't ya?:sheesh: )

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Austria would be breathtakingly beautiful, South Korea I think the same - particularly architecture - plus the US might boycott by that time if North Korea doesn't have improved relations with the US by then.

But I feel Russia could use the "attention" and economic boost. By then I hope the rules don't keep waning toward Russian Pairs as DP has been enlightening me, and I think everything I have seen of Russia is Beautiful Land / Culture / Architecture that is not appreciated enough. :yes:

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Austria for me. Partly because I think Yu Na has a great chance to do well in 2010 and I don't want her to have that enormous hometown pressure.

eleonora.d

On the Ice
Austria for me, too, because Salzburg it's just like 3 hours away, I could even go there, and also because I know Salzburg, I often go to Austria and it's a lovely place to stay, the food it's good and the town is lively but not too caotic, has a nice historic centre and nice surroundings..plus,I think there already are many of the sports facilities needed. Let's hope it's gonna be Salzburg!

Last edited:
Well, I totally agree about Yu Na having a good shot... so I say let's do it in S. Korea and give Sasha a boost! :biggrin:

Anyway, S. Korea would be new and different. Lots of Koreans in my area would be excited.

Is there anyone else who never heard of Sochi?

flutterby1145

Rinkside
Russia would be a beautiful site for the Winter Olympics, although Moscow or St. Petersburg would probably be a better location IMO.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
flutterby1145 said:
Russia would be a beautiful site for the Winter Olympics, although Moscow or St. Petersburg would probably be a better location IMO.
Those cities don't have mountains closeby. Sochi does.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I think it is on the black sea and it is kind a resort town, one of my friends Lina said she went there and It was gorgeous. Hunh, I think I'll google it.

The name reminds me of the term for small or little in Japanese - skoshi.

That is interesting. I grove the Oly logo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sochi

Last edited:
Just think if it is Austria, we could all meet on a mountain plateau, spin around on the snow and sing "The Hills are Alive With the Sound of Music". At the same time we could argue who has the best layback spin.

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Are you aware of the fact that no one in Austria even knows that movie exists?
Americans and Canadians go to Salzburg because they saw Julie Andrews (who is/was English...) hop around the foothills singing, the rest of the world goes there because of Mozart, architecture, and food........
Salzburg would definitely be the 'safe' choice, beautiful scenery, all facilities very much in place, multitudes of well established hotels, winter sport locations, and everything else you need for an Olympics, etc.

No idea about Pyong Yang.

Sochi is at the very southern tip of Russia, bordering Armenia, I believe, and seems to be a sort of Russian version of Miami, except much smaller.
They do have mountains there, but the pictures I've seen (with palm trees...) look more mediterranean rather than alpine/wintry.
It also seems to be a major smuggling/crime/racketeering center, probably due to its' postion as a border town.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Are you aware of the fact that no one in Austria even knows that movie exists?
Americans and Canadians go to Salzburg because they saw Julie Andrews (who is/was English...) hop around the foothills singing, the rest of the world goes there because of Mozart, architecture, and food.........

That is interesting that you say that, I have found from living with 2 Austrians (one was a self professed Beir) new the movie and only one of his friends said he had not seen it. That was an incredibly historically significant area in most chapters of European history. Everything form discovering aspirin to the music. No I disagree, I think Joe's joke was funny and many Americans don't equate that is where "the sound of music" even took place with out asking them - and I think many might just say Germany. I think that is Joe's sense of humor.

Found out that Sochi is the second longest city in the world next to Maui, and it's economy is much the same - based on tourism and yes "illegal activity" much like Miami. Good examples Wolfgang.

Last edited:

Lightspear

Rinkside
Ich sage, daß Österreich die beste Position sein würde. Obwohl ich nicht denke, haben die meisten Leute, die teilnehmen, Zeit, jeden Berg zu klettern!

snow_shoe

Spectator
I voted for Austria because it is so beautiful. I worry that the building of an Olympic venue would destroy it though. My housemate is from Taiwan and he went on a Sound of Music themed tour of Austria. So the film is known in Asia. Andrew Lloyd-Webber is producing a new stage version in London which opens in just a few weeks. It is advertised everywhere. The woman who will play Maria was chosen through a reality TV-show (like pop idol).

I saw a documentary on TV about how building a host venue at Sochi is damaging some of the last wilderness in Europe, so that puts me off.

I don't know anything about the other venue.