New MK Article - Reflecting on the Past, Present & Future | Golden Skate

New MK Article - Reflecting on the Past, Present & Future

mzheng

Record Breaker
Thanks for the article.
"I consider myself the luckiest person in the world. I always thought, when I was, like, 5-years-old, 'I'm going to go to the Olympics. I'm going to go and win three,' " she said.

". . . You kind of laugh at that when you look back. But right now, I can't wish for a better life. It's just been a good ride and I can't wait for the next chapter.

Looks like she finally is able to talk out loud even she did not complished....seems to me she got over that deamon.....If I'm able to talk openly about something big that I really want but knowing that there is little chance to get it, I know I got over with it. Or else I won't talk about it in front of people.

nymkfan51

Medalist
mzheng ... I think she's more able now to look at the big picture. As time passes, it gets easier to put things in perspective. But ... in another interview, she said she still hasn't really been able to deal with what happened in Torino ... said it was still too raw.

I just want her to get really healthy and then see if she still has the desire to come back.
I sure hope so!!!

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
KW, I read the whole article and failed to see anything new she is saying. What did you read that's new??

Dee

Maybe what she said isn't new... but you know what? I was still awed by her ability to be a grown up about the past year's disappointments and understand that she's been blessed... I work in an industry where those who have so much make me sick whining about how cheated they are and how unfair it all is and how bad the pressure is when you're young, gifted and rich and being a millionaire isn't enough... a bunch of sucky whiny babies... and then there's Michelle... Christine Brennan said it best: she lives her life like a child is watching... and that's impressive.

This article just reminds me why I'm a fan... and I know there are a lot of Kwaniacs here who've been wondering where her head's at now if her competitive days are truly behind her... I'm glad she's focused on the future vs. being bitter about the past...

MKFSfan

Medalist
ITA, KwanfordWife! You summed it up beautifully, and it's how I feel, too.

"I just wish," says Michelle Kwan, "that I will find something outside of skating that I'm as passionate about."

This is exactly how I view Michelle. She is skating. Her whole life has been all about skating. I think she is going to hang onto skating in some capacity as long as she can because she hasn't found the next thing she truly cares about.

There doesn't have to be something "new" in any article. Michelle probably has no idea what her future is going to bring right now. She is recovering from injury and busy with COI. She also has done a few sponsor-related things this summer, so we'll have to wait until the fall for something new.

Sorry to bring other skaters/articles into this thread...When I read what Michelle, Sasha and Johnny had to say about what skating means to them in that interview about fashion, their answers seemed to really reflect who they are. Sasha has many interests, skating and outside skating. Johnny tends to be open about his fashion interests, but quiet about personal things. Michelle is really all about her skating. You very rarely read her talking about other things like shopping in Paris or baking cookies. I hope she finds another passion, if that is what she wants, and maybe it will be commentating or coaching or maybe it will be something entirely different from skating.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for posting the article. I always enjoy reading about the Kween.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I wish I could have an outlook like hers. Unbelievable her career is half her life at only 26.