Name that Movie | Golden Skate

Name that Movie

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
In attempts for trying to make up for being a butt-head sometimes....I hope this is fun!

Give 3 Facts and a quote (s) from a Movie that are as unique as possible to that particular film and see if others can guess it.:biggrin:

Please come back and answer.

I know I am preaching to the choir when it comes to guessing and looking it up - so I wont bother saying anything. OOPs I guess I did.

EXPL.
SeaniBu said:
Katharine Hepburn drank so much water during the filming as protest to the amount of alcohol that John Huston and Humphrey Bogart drank, she suffered a severe bout of dysentery. He issue with drinking was also a notable attribute of the character she played.

The only Movie that paired Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn. - definitive aspect.

Movie was also dubbed in Swahili.

Movie quote -
Charlie: We can't do that!
Rose: How do you know? You never tried it.
Charlie: Well, yeah, but I never tried shooting myself in the head neither.

That's easy Seanibu, you simple minded fool, African Queen.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Trying to get the ball rolling.

:laugh:

Nicolas Cage does his own singing.

Laura Dern, Diane Ladd, Isabella Rossellini, Willem Dafoe have roles.

The movie is filled with Wizard of Oz references.

quote - "My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me. WOOF! "

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Oh how easy... Wild at Hear of course!!! (at least I think... but I loved that movie!)

here's mine...

won best picture, best director, best actor, but not best actress ...

introduced us to the real estate king

director is married to kate winslett

quote: " while I fantasize about a life that doesn't so closely resemble hell."

(yay! best movie EVER!!!)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Oh how easy... Wild at Hear of course!!! (at least I think... but I loved that movie!)

Yes Wild at Heart. I "love" Lynch, Cage, Dafoe, Rossellini...etc.. A rocking good movie.

"This whole world's wild at heart and weird on top."

I can't figure you movie out via thought, I will give someone else a go unless no one does then I will need to start looking it up. I know Kate's Hubby asst. directed the Mummy - which I really liked. but I don't know of any that he did direct.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:

here's mine...

won best picture, best director, best actor, but not best actress ...

introduced us to the real estate king

director is married to kate winslett

quote: " while I fantasize about a life that doesn't so closely resemble hell."

(yay! best movie EVER!!!)

I believe this is "American Beauty"... ????

OK.

The 4 principal actors/actresses in my selection were, or eventually were, nominated for an Oscar at least twice; three of them have won; none, however, were nominated for this movie.

One of the lead actresses got to the set on her first day to discover that the casting had been switched and she would be playing a different part than the one she thought she was going to play.

Music from "Turandot" is featured.

Quote -- "Have another cherry."

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I thought Kate was married to Jim Threpliton, I guess I am out of the loop.

ETA, wow she is married to Sam Mendes. I think JonnyCoop is right.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
The 4 principal actors/actresses in my selection were, or eventually were, nominated for an Oscar at least twice; three of them have won; none, however, were nominated for this movie.

One of the lead actresses got to the set on her first day to discover that the casting had been switched and she would be playing a different part than the one she thought she was going to play.

Music from "Turandot" is featured.

Quote -- "Have another cherry."

Diva filled Witches of Eastwick?

Next Q.

• Don Rickles, Annie Potts Featured.

The name of a realty company featured in the film is "Virtual Realty."

The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 2005.

"Okay Mr. Light Beer prove it!"

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
SeaniBu said:
Diva filled Witches of Eastwick?

Next Q.

• Don Rickles, Annie Potts Featured.

The name of a realty company featured in the film is "Virtual Realty."

The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 2005.

"Okay Mr. Light Beer prove it!"

Toy Story!!!!

Next Q...

first foriegn film nominated for best picture

lead actress nominated for 2005 golden globe for best actress for different movie

known for its dream-like, fairy tale storyline & ground breaking special effects

quote: A faithful heart makes wishes come

(my 2nd favorite movie of all time... American Beauty is the best movie EVER!!!)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
My first thought is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but I think that won best foreign lang. film. Life is Beautiful and Das Boot also come to mind but I don't know which was foirst.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
SeaniBu said:
My first thought is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but I think that won best foreign lang. film. Life is Beautiful and Das Boot also come to mind but I don't know which was foirst.

Always trust your first instinct!! Yes, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon won for best foreign lang. film, it was nominated for Best Picture as well... You have no idea how much I LOVE that movie... the best antidote for a "the world sucks & i can't change a darn thing..." kinda day... love it!!

Next Q

Second film for an American singer who is a true pop-culture icon as a follow-up to his ground breaking first semi-bio film featuring his friends, hometown, and the place his legend began

filmed in Nice, France

starred an unknown english actress who went on to gain tons of critical acclaim and best actress nomination (which she didn't win...) even though the film won best picture

quote: where do you go to buy a sam cook album? the wrecka stow

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Always trust your first instinct!! Yes, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon won for best foreign lang. film, it was nominated for Best Picture as well... You have no idea how much I LOVE that movie... the best antidote for a "the world sucks & i can't change a darn thing..." kinda day... love it!!

I highly recommend to anyone who even likes that movie (which I too LOVED) is Eat Drink Man Woman and The Red Lantern. Two of my Favorite FFs. Those were 2 movies that tore my heart out. And Ange Lee is the man when it comes to beauty in Directing. One of the best resents that could "loosely" fit in that "type" of movie is Memoirs of a Gasha. I liked the fact I could acutely follow some of the dialog in the first part so I was balling right away - I think that is one of the things I like about some of the Disney films (Mighty Joe Young - Bambi. Like they think, "let's see how fast we can get the audience to cry") It doesn't fit the typical "Asian film" because it has a happy ending ('sorta - better late then never) but a tear jerker none the less.

OK, first thought on your film is Prince? (I Love that guy too:bow: ) Under the Cherry Moon (don't know for sure where it was filmed and what my mind id=s remembering is "Frenchi" looking), but think Purple rain was better.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
SeaniBu said:
I highly recommend to anyone who even likes that movie (which I too LOVED) is Eat Drink Man Woman and The Red Lantern. Two of my Favorite FFs. Those were 2 movies that tore my heart out. And Ange Lee is the man when it comes to beauty in Directing.

OK, first thought on your film is Prince? (I Love that guy too:bow: ) Under the Cherry Moon (don't know for sure where it was filmed and what my mind id=s remembering is "Frenchi" looking), but think Purple rain was better.

Yay! Another movie geek in the house!!! You'd be surprised by how many people NEVER saw the Red Lantern... such a shame too ~ since that movie is the reason I started watching Asian films... which up to that point I equated with kung-fo films... yes, I am ashamed to admit that... but its the only way to deal with one's ignorance...

And you so get a gold star for Under the Cherry Moon... I wasn't sure if that was too B-List for this game ~ but of course, shame on me for doubting the intelligence of the GS crew!!! So happy I play in this sandbox...:bow: :bow: :clap:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Nice! Have you seen Eat drink....?

Next film. - going to try to throw off on the clues here. :)

A man moves to Oregon after his wife and daughter are tragically killed.

The main actor stared in 2 Stanley Kubrick films, denied a nomination for best actor and was in over 90 films.

A families' embarrassment and reputation drive them to murder and deception - after their deaths they are exposed.

quote - "Why do you remain...?"

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Sean by Red Lantern do you mean "Raise the Red Lantern" about the girl who becomes the fourth wife, fake pregnacy, foot massages, opera singer? LOVE that movie!:clap: :clap: :clap:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
NEW HINTs:biggrin:
One of the Stanley Kubrick movies the main Actor was in was, "How I learned to _____ ___ ____"

#14 reveiw
A man moves to Oregon after his wife and daughter are tragically killed.

The main actor stared in 2 Stanley Kubrick films, denied a nomination for best actor for one of the most famous war movie / portrayals of a WW2 personality and was in over 90 films.

A families' embarrassment and reputation drive them to murder and deception - after their deaths they are exposed.

quote - "Why do you remain...?"

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
So I don't know if my thread just isn't that interesting or that my last q is too hard?

Well more Hints for Q #14 / 17.

Fits in the area of a Horror Movie even thought there is no blood / gore.

Title has to do with "replacing," but not letting anyone know about it.

Some considered it a detective style movie.

4dogknight

Final Flight
Seanibu: I figured out the answer to your Q #14 / 17 yesterday but I held off answering until I had a question of my own. I'm having a little problem with developing the component parts so if you want to ask another question, please do so and I'll continue to work on mine and post later.

And the film is: The Changling (1980) and starring George C. Scott. This is one of my favorite films and as far as I'm concerned it is not shown on TV often enough.

Who can forget the shot of Melvyn Douglas (or the shade of Melvyn Douglas) climbing the stairs amid the fire and smoke at the end of the film.

Good question - I only guessed from the second set of clues especially "How I learned to -----".

4dk - who will post her question sometime next week.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
4dogknight said:
And the film is: The Changeling (1980) and starring George C. Scott. This is one of my favorite films and as far as I'm concerned it is not shown on TV often enough.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

:agree: It is in my top 20. I saw it in 88 and praise how well it was done, loved the detective aspect (not the first, but a catalyst for other films to be sure. i.e. Ringu).

One of the Stanley Kubrick movies the main Actor was in was, "How I learned to Love the Bomb"

The main actor stared in 2 Stanley Kubrick films (other was "Dr. StrangeLove"), denied a nomination for best actor for one of the most famous war movie / portrayals of a WW2 personality - "Patton"

The guy was such an Icon of film, so many great roles, I was afraid of being to obvious yet I guess this is just for fun, and not a Million dollars or something. I didn't know who else had denied a nomination and thought that might be a give away. I am glad you answered it. Look forward to your "Q":biggrin:

Last edited: