Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rachael Flatt & Broadmoor/Liberty Open highlights

Rachael Flatt & Broadmoor/Liberty Open highlights

I think it's high time those old-timers Kimmie, Yu-na, and Mao retire and make way for the new kids on the block.

Here is an article from the Blades on Ice web site about 13-year-old Rachael Flatt. She is the 2005 U.S. novice champion and 2006 U.S. junior silver medallist, and is in the news now because of her recent victory at the Broadmore Open event in Colorado Springs.

Rachael will compete in the junior grand prix this year, starting with the Mexico City event in September, and hopes to make it to senior nationals in Spokane.

https://bladesonice.com/blaweb1.htm

(Scroll down to The 2007 Season Begins with the Emergence of a New Star, by Alexandra Stevenson.)

There is also (last two paragraphs) a rather enigmatic A.P. McDonough reference in the article:

"While watching these competitors, I couldn't help wonder what ever happened to the very talented Ann Patrice McDonough , who had trained in the Springs since she was 3...

"During the Torino Olympics, the Colorado Springs Gazette traced her to Chicago where she had recently started to teach a Learn To Skate program in a suburban rink. To their reporter's question of ‘What happened?', she replied, 'Nobody needs to know. I don't want my life in the spotlight any more.'"

Here's AP in 2002

http://www.mscnet.com/jenny/mkf/2002...onough-p01.jpg
    Last edited by Mathman; 07-12-2006 at 08:16 PM.

Custom Title
    MM...you had me LOL with your opening sentence!!!

I love AP. I wish she had stuck around. I also believe she was so robbed at 2003 Nationals. She should've won silver! OK...bronze!

That column reads like a hot off the press news items. Most of that I had never heard of before. Usually those magazines do not have really new news items.

Joe

When I first saw your thread title, I thought, "Why is Mathman posting a thread on Rascal Flatts in "The Edge?" Then I thought, "Why is Mathman posting a thread on Rascal Flatts PERIOD?"

And Yukina Ota was also skating there but not much was mentioned of her jumps - has she got them all back yet does anyone know?

Ant

I didn't hear any details, but evidently Ota still has quite a ways to go. She finished fourth behind Megan Stewart (10th in U.S. Nationals last year) and Angie Lien.

Yukina's scores were 78.20 (qualifying), 38.70 (short) and 79.34 (long), for a total of 118.04 (qualifying scores were not carried over).

Rascal got 98.49, 54.62+97.32 = 151.91. Very impressive.

BTW, did you notice the menu for the White House dinner that Kristi and Rena and John attended. Love me some kumquat-stuffed cherries!

MM

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    That column reads like a hot off the press news items. Most of that I had never heard of before. Usually those magazines do not have really new news items.
    I think there is a great future for the on-line versions of these magazines. By the time the print version comes out, we are reading about the Olympics in April and Worlds in July.

Now they just need to figure out a way to make some money from their labors.

MM

Tripping on the Podium

Rachael

Mathman,

Glad to see you've found a new kid on the block! This little one is just fun to watch, she's got lots of spirit and is a very good skater. I'm a little surprised that she's gone to Senior this year, sorta thought she'd hold back a year but I wish her well. I haven't seen her skate this year yet, she did need some polishing presentation-wise so we'll see. I think she's competing at the big Liberty competition this weekend, which will be broadcast on the figure skating channel.

NC

Sounds like she will be another bubble gum skater winning the next Olys at 17.

Joe

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    I was very impressed with Rachel at Nats and even got her autograph. I wish I could see her make her senior debut in Spokane, but unfortunately, the bank account won't permit that this year. I hope she makes a big splash.

Custom Title
    Oh dear, I'm always going to think of Rachael as Rascal now...

Custom Title
    13-year-old "Rascal" is skating at the Liberty Open in Aston PA this weekend.

Sylvia listed the roster on FSU (post #30):

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...31#post1014131

I am going! The Senior Ladies and Senior Men SPs are on Friday afternoon, and the FSs are on Saturday.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan
    MM...you had me LOL with your opening sentence!!!

I love AP. I wish she had stuck around. I also believe she was so robbed at 2003 Nationals. She should've won silver! OK...bronze!

ITA! How you can do the most jumps in a competition and wind up fourth is beyond me!

Custom Title
    Rachael )"Rascal") Flatt won her group in the Liberty Summer Competition. Katrina Hacker was second and Kylie Gleason was third.

Custom Title
    13-year-old "Rascal" is skating at the Liberty Open in Aston PA this weekend.

Rachael "Rascal" Flatt has now won both Broadmoor and Liberty. Good start to her season. Anxious to get the JGP season underway so we can see how she does on the international circuit. Though, I do remember now that she won Triglav Trophy novice ladies event following her US Novice title back in 2005. She is young (she has a birthday at the end of this week....14!) so she has plenty of time to continue to learn and develop! Good luck Ms. Flatt and Happy BIrthday!:birthday:
    Last edited by Nigel; 07-17-2006 at 09:20 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast