Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rachael Flatt & Broadmoor/Liberty Open highlights

Custom Title

re Jamie Kim

Quote Originally Posted by euterpe
    Rachael )"Rascal") Flatt won her group in the Liberty Summer Competition. Katrina Hacker was second and Kylie Gleason was third.
    I'm interested in Jamie Kim, who was 3rd place in the other ladies group at Liberty. She had a very polished style compared to others, and although her jumping was not as good as Flatt, I thought she showed plenty of potential. I've never heard of her before, so please enlighten me whoever -- How old is she? Has she ever made it to the Nationals as a junior or novice?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by inloveagain
    I'm interested in Jamie Kim, who was 3rd place in the other ladies group at Liberty. She had a very polished style compared to others, and although her jumping was not as good as Flatt, I thought she showed plenty of potential. I've never heard of her before, so please enlighten me whoever -- How old is she? Has she ever made it to the Nationals as a junior or novice?
    No, she hasn't. Jamie Kim is from Atlanta which is in the South Atlantic region. South Atlantics is an especially competitive and deep region, and quite a few very good skaters have not made it to Sectionals in recent years, let alone Nationals, in novice/junior. Kim placed 9th in Junior at Eastern Sectionals last year (it was the first time she qualified for Easterns, I think). I don't know how old she is, or if she is planning to test up and compete in Senior this season (skaters have until the Regionals application deadline of Sept. 1st to decide).

Quick comment on Rachael Flatt's performance at Liberty -- she's a tough competitor who is obviously working on developing her skating beyond just the jumps, which is good to see. I have learned over the years, however, that it is better not to project too far into the future when following promising young skaters, but rather to enjoy their skating talents in the present.

Custom Title
    Thank you, Sylvia.

Rachael Flatt was definitely the one to watch at Liberty, but I found a nice surprise in Jamie Kim for her presentation, and Ashley Wagner for her perfect completion of jumps.

Minusaramadad from Arctaroon John King's Avatar
    After seeing the examples of Ann-Patrice and NNN,and in a different vein,Tara Lipinski,I'd say let's keep the age restriction,and allow kids to be kids.How would Mao Asada faired in Turino?We don't know,but if her entry resulted in another burn-out,I'd say it was not worth it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by John King
    After seeing the examples of Ann-Patrice and NNN,and in a different vein,Tara Lipinski,I'd say let's keep the age restriction,and allow kids to be kids.How would Mao Asada faired in Turino?We don't know,but if her entry resulted in another burn-out,I'd say it was not worth it.
    ITA. In fact, Rachael Flatt reminded me of Kimmie Meissner 2 years ago, jumping all the way through her program but still very juniorish.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by inloveagain
    ITA. In fact, Rachael Flatt reminded me of Kimmie Meissner 2 years ago, jumping all the way through her program but still very juniorish.

Well, from the USFSA website, Meissner was born Oct '89, Flatt July 92, and turns 14 later this week. I agree that Meissner's presentation has developed quite a bit in the last couple of years and that her technical levels surpassed her artistry when she was 13 or 14. Give the younger skaters time to develop. Life experiences add so much to their emotional development on and off the ice. As Sylvia posted somewhere else, let's enjoy what these kids are doing right now and just wait and watch.

I think she is scheduled for Mexico City (Jr GP) which will be in August. I hope we get some feedback on her.

Joe

I think the Mexico City junior grand prix event is September 14-18.

But guess who will be there, besides our new favorite Rachael? Our old favorite Caroline Zhang!

Custom Title
    Has Zhang competed yet this season?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...42438616D3099C
    The above is a link to Rachael Flatt's LP at Liberty this last week.

(Myself, my favorite new ladies discovery was Taylor Firth, who was great artistic skills, but needs a lutz still).

Ski and I made videos of a lot of the Liberty competition and links to the videos are posted at fsvids, including Rachael's SP and LP.

http://fsvids.9.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=2873

Doris, the url for your yousendit link is incomplete. Can you fix it, please? I'd love to see the performance.

MM

Custom Title
    Rachel's FS was good, but from what I've heard her SP was simply superb, and not juniorish at all.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...42438616D3099C

Mathman, Here's the LP link for Flatt.

If you'd like the SP link, I could send that too.

chuckm, I would not have described Flatt's SP that way. Angsty arm movements, angsty music, a music malfunction, and it was ...welll...Flat.
    The little girl daffodil yellow costume didn't help either.
    It looked like an attempt for a 13 year old to look not 13. For me, it didn't make it.

Doris - Thanks for the link. Rachel does indeed look juniorish but then that's what she is, but with quite a budding technical prowess. I think she is head and shoulders above most other junior ladies.

However, she needs more of what Caroline Zhang has, and Caroline needs more of what Rachel has.

I hope we hear of their Mexican competition. Any chance of getting the tapes of those?

Joe

That was great! Sure, I would like to see the short program, too.

OK, so that sign on the glass partition in the foreground says "Watch out for flying pucks," right?

MM

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast