Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rachael Flatt & Broadmoor/Liberty Open highlights

Thanks for trying Doris, but it still won't work. I get the download into a file but I can not get the file to show it.

Joe

Rinkside
    A tad off-topic, but I found a video of Caroline Zhang at the All Year Club Competition earlier this season:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...E7E270269727FF

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Thanks for posting that, SkateAngel! She is everything Joe has hinted.

I am bowled over by her natural grace, flexibility, marvelous spins, and general ease on the ice. Her jumps are very pretty, with a very high free leg, but could use a little more power, perhaps. She looks to me like one who has watched and learned from Sasha!

I couldn't get Flatt's LP from the link here, but I completely agree with Doris's assessment of her SP. To me there's no comparison between these two skaters. Obviously I wouldn't make it as a judge.

Banned
    I don't really get all the hype about Flatt. Yes, she lands the jumps, but I know girls her age, skating at two or three levels BELOW her with better presentation than her. I'm not saying she doesn't have potential, but right now I don't see her as a major force to be reckoned with. Plus, there are too many kids that look to be on track for success at that age but then fizzle out. I'd like to see her again in two or three years before I proclaim her the future of US skating. Ditto with Zhang, though she certainly is more polished than Flatt. I think she out-Sashas Miss Cohen on Sasha's own signature moves! However, she is still pretty tiny, who knows how much she'll grow over the next few years, and what effect that might have on her jumps. Her spins have great positions and are very well centered, so she'll get points for that. But like I said, I'll wait a few years before I get too excited over her.

Welcome to Golden Skate, SkateAngel ,and thank you so much for posting that youtube of Caroline. It's nice to show some of our members something of what I saw at last year's Nats.

Dancindiva - To think of Rachel and Caroline as comparable to top tier skaters is, in my opinion, a bit early in their careers as competitive figure skaters. One should be comparing them to their present competitors.

SpunSilver - I find both of them extremely talented for the future, and both, I think will be developing different styles. I think comparisons will be on the tech side.

Joe

Custom Title
    Thankyou so much for the video of Caroline Zhang. And please count me in as another that is absolutely bowled over by her. Stunning bodyline, musicality just oozes out of her and the spins are outrageously good. Seems pretty speedy too. What a wonderful skater in the making. Lets hope she can ride out the puberty monster and not go the way of NNN whom she resembles so much on the ice.

Rachael Flatt I do not get - well the hype anyway. She seems like the second coming of Kimmie Meissner. As others have said she lands the jumps but where's the spark?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Thanks so much for the Caroline Zhang video! I particularly like her version of the donut spin-a spin I generally detest, particularly when the spinner has to stick her butt in the air to catch hold of her foot.

I do hope she survives as a skater through the changes that the next couple years hold for her.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate
    She seems like the second coming of Kimmie Meissner.
    I had exactly that thought. I don't like to diss Kimmie because she seems like such a fine young woman and hard-working skater, but I get no pleasure from watching her.

Medalist
    Sorry to bump up the thread, but I thought some may be interested in the scores from the All Year FSC comp. There aren't any detailed score sheets but it's interesting that Caroline got component scores in sixes...

http://www.allyearfsc.com/news/files/index.htm

Thanks for the link Brinababy. It's easy to see Zhang is way above the others but Laney Diggs is getting good scores with 4 falls. What would it be like without those falls?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Thanks for the link Brinababy. It's easy to see Zhang is way above the others but Laney Diggs is getting good scores with 4 falls. What would it be like without those falls?

Joe
    And an SP score of 58ish...that's pretty comparable to Senior level skating isn't it?

Ant

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb
    And an SP score of 58ish...that's pretty comparable to Senior level skating isn't it?

Ant

If Laney Diggs had 4 falls and still relatively high scores, how inflated were Caroline's scores. Was 58 really a senior level 58. Hard to understand how a skater can fall 4 times and admittedly her SP+FS total was 112 (not sure what the split was on the numbers) but in any other event, 4 falls would also decrease the program component scores because of the interuption of the flow of the program. Were Caroline's programs that much better than everyone else, or was it that she was the "last man standing" sort of thing, and relative to everyone else, she was the better skater, and the judges finally said, wow, a skater, at last. And her scores were reflective of someone who skated a very nice performance, relative to the other skaters.

I wouldn't read too much into the scores at this point, as others have said. It is a shame that Caroline has not been to one of the more competitive summer events this year....Detroit, Liberty and Broadmoor. Then you can perhaps say something about her skating, relative to the other ladies out there and skating under a little more pressure. Perhaps she will be at Golden West as it is in her neighborhood(though it is close to her JGP in mid Sept) where the field would be more competivive.

Custom Title
    WOW!!!! I was so impressed by Zhang! Her layback was gorgous-only Alissa's comes close for me! And her spiral definitely is better than many elites out there. I loved her back spiral into the double axle. How old is she?

Thanks for the link and for the scores!

Thanks for the Rachel SP as well! She is lovely, and something about her reminds me of Kimmie. She seems like a solid skater with good jumps and confidence/presence on the ice. If she could fix her spiral, and soften up a bit...but I think she is really lovely! She seems more mature to me than Zhang, and a bit more solid all around. Zhang is absolutley adorable and has gorgeous elements/positions. It's probably like comparing Irina to Sasha, just different styles!
    Last edited by MKFSfan; 07-28-2006 at 08:36 AM.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel
    IWere Caroline's programs that much better than everyone else, or was it that she was the "last man standing" sort of thing, and relative to everyone else, she was the better skater, and the judges finally said, wow, a skater, at last. And her scores were reflective of someone who skated a very nice performance, relative to the other skaters.
    Well, TES pretty much can't be inflated, right? Not to mention, in her SP all of her spins, footwork, and spiral were really good. Her jumps looked fully rotated. I can see how she got a high tech score.

And isn't it usually the case with Component scores that skaters get marked lower because they're in a junior event?

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel
    I wouldn't read too much into the scores at this point, as others have said. It is a shame that Caroline has not been to one of the more competitive summer events this year....Detroit, Liberty and Broadmoor. Then you can perhaps say something about her skating, relative to the other ladies out there and skating under a little more pressure. Perhaps she will be at Golden West as it is in her neighborhood(though it is close to her JGP in mid Sept) where the field would be more competivive.
    I agree. I do not read too much into the scores unless they all agree on what has been executed. The GoEs, imo, are a residual of the 6.0 system. It gives the judges the chance to manipulate the scores when there is a tight finish. Remember, all one needs to win is .1 point.

Caroline, is a very young skater, and I see no reason why she should hurry up her progress so that she can be called "oh, so young, and winning".

Rachel, on the other hand, has passed her Senior Test so we will be seeing her against Emily, Bebe, Katy, Kimmie, and Sasha if Sasha shows up to defend her crown.

So one talented lady is waiting and the other is pushing ahead NOW.

Joe

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast