Project Runway season 3 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Project Runway season 3

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think it will be Michael, Robert, Kayne (b.t.w., who names their child with a name that sounds like Cain?)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
I think it will be Michael, Robert, Kayne (b.t.w., who names their child with a name that sounds like Cain?)

Ptichka,

Is the above your gut or spoiler information?? I ask because Robert's clothes have been so off point that I'm wondering if he's this season's number 3 designer... the one that doesn't seem to have the talent, but still does enough to get to Fashion Week ala Santino & Wendy Pepper (whose clothes I absolutely loved...)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So who do you think are the underdogs? Here iare my picks:

Jeff
Vincent
Robert

Dee :laugh:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm surprised no one has made any comments about Wednesday's show.

Dee

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I thought Wednesday was a great episode... Espcially since Michael won again... I'm so sick of Tatoo Neck Boy and Laura... both are so nasty for no real reason...

Since Alison was auf'd ~ I wonder if we'll have an all-male final three or if Uli will become the new top chick? And Angela! I love it when those who seem so out of their depth finally work out their issues and show us how they got on the show... her little jumper thing was so cute...

Now Robert... I'm so over him. He's a Barbie designer!!! I refuse to believe that someone who designs for Barbie is incapable of making a smokin' hot dress outta trash... Heck, I had the best dressed barbie on the block & I made her dresses out of socks, pantyhose and ribbons. He's a disgrace!:laugh:

So now, my top three are...

Dream
Michael
Uli
Andrea

Practical
Michael
Kayne
Uli

Did you hear that Vincent's model Jai was critically injured after being hit on her bike by a delivery truck? Poor thing has a fractured eye socket and skull... such a shame...

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So now, my top three are...

Dream
Michael
Uli
Andrea

Practical
Michael
Kayne
Uli

Did you hear that Vincent's model Jai was critically injured after being hit on her bike by a delivery truck? Poor thing has a fractured eye socket and skull... such a shame...
Yikes!!! about the model.

KW, I had my eye on Michael when he desinged the coffee filter dress. I hope he's in the final 3 too.

This is a hard pick year. For me last year, I thought Daniel stood out above everyone but this year, possibly except for Michael, it seems like everyone is kind of equal in their skills. In spite of what people think about Vincent, his construction skills are super.

I think if Jeff ate some humble pie, he might win a challenge. All of Laura's designs look the same and she does seem kind of mean spirited. The jury is still out on Uli and Angela. I agree with your comments on Robert. What isn't going through his mind.

Dee

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
So, I rush home yesterday anticipanting PR @ 10 p.m. Yay! They're designing for each other's mothers and sister! Cool concept... and then here comes Jeffrey... being the *** he is to Angela's mom...

What was that about? I'm so confused... He's totally disrespectful to her because he doesn't design for plus-sized women and how dare she not like his color choices?!? Are you kidding me? He made someone's mother cry and NOBODY ripped him a new one... not Angela, not his mom and not Angela's mom...

This is why I've never been cast on a reality show... Mama Kwanford don't play that... she'd cut him. And then I would've cut him. Period. What a shame... And his mom is waxing poetic about how much he's over-come and how he was a drunk and a drug user and she's so proud of him... blah blah blah. Can you say enabler? If my son EVER talks to someone's mom like that ~ I'll cut him. And he knows it... Because my mama raised me right.

And then Vincent wins the competition.. for a dress I saw at JC Penny's this weekend. Robert goes home and Tatoo boy stays.

What is wrong with the world?!? tisk tisk tisk...

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Three words - ULI WAS ROBBED!!!!!
ITA!

Michael's dress was cool as well, but his model was not overweight like Uli's, so it wasn't as much of a challenge. Uli did a perfect job, yet they gave the win to that boring dress Vincent did. Overall, it seems like I'm disagreeing with more of the judges' decisions this season then in previous ones...

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, I rush home yesterday anticipanting PR @ 10 p.m. Yay! They're designing for each other's mothers and sister! Cool concept... and then here comes Jeffrey... being the *** he is to Angela's mom.
You know what KW, Angela's mom got sooooooooo on my nerves!! Yet I agree with you that he should not have been disrespectful to her.

I actually liked Vincent's dress. Vincent does have the right attitude......it's not just fitting clothes on someone who has a 25 inch waist.

Uli's Design

Vincent's Design

I think Vincent's design slimmed Uli's mom down to almost thin. The V neck draws your eyes from her middle. Uli's design is nice but it doesn't do anything flattery wise. Just my opinion. I was happy to see Vincent win the challenge, I don't think he's going to last long though. I liked Michael's design alot too.

I think this was a great challenge---it separated the good designers from the OK designers. I knew when Laura got a challenge out of her comfort zone what would happen. Robert & Jeff just couldn't do it.

Dee

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I think this was a great challenge---it separated the good designers from the OK designers. I knew when Laura got a challenge out of her comfort zone what would happen. Robert & Jeff just couldn't do it.

Dee

Is that why Vincent won? Because his dress, while identical to the dress at JC Penny's, actually did something positive to her shape? If so, then that makes sense... And I will agree about Robert... I just always assumed that if he could dress Barbie he could dress anybody... oh well. I will miss him.

Jeffery... I still say he shoulda been cut... and not by the judges... by Angela. That was so far out there... (is it possible to be such a non-violent type as me and yet be angry that someone didn't get cut? I shall have to ponder that...)

CB1AB2

Medalist
I agree that Uli did a good job = I am =shall I say (not petite) and I would wear something like that. As for Vincent's dress I thought it was boring. My pick to win is = Michael, there hasn't been one outfit that he's made that hasn't been good

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Vincent's dress...it was fine, but 'slimmed her down'? Uli's Mom was hardly obese. Or even particularly pudgy.

I liked Uli's, and I rather liked Kayne's, too (the fabric was pretty.) Possibly because they also had really positive attitudes about designing for someone not a twig, as did, to my surprise, Vincent. And as opposed to Jeffery. I so seriously would have auf'd him for his attitude alone. Designers design for clients. Angela's mom was his client. She's not a size zero, she's Angela's mother, but she was his client and he should not have been so freakin' high-handed. Though, yeah, Robert's design was BORRRRRRING.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I was so frustrated with this weeks show, I got kinda emotional when tatoo jerk was being so rude to angela's mom. I kept thinking how sad I would be if someone was rude to my mother and it broke my heart.

Vincents dress was out of control... that no one mentioned the freakish collar surprised me. The silloute was flattering though. Uli's ensemble was awesome! I love how she uses pattern, out of all of the designers I think she has the strongest perspective. You know its uli's when it comes down the runway.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kayne's top was nice, but the pants were all wrong for that body type.
Ptichka, good eye!!! Here's a comment from Tim's Take

The design for Pamela (Michael’s mom) had wonderful potential, but was derailed by its unflattering proportions. Both the top and pant were too short and, consequently, bifurcated Pamela in the worst possible place. The cropped pant was a no-no (think long and fitted), the boat-neck of the top was too constricting, and the spangled mini-poncho/scarf looked arbitrary. Kayne, get back on your mark!

Dee

heyang

Record Breaker
I also thought that the color of Kayne's top was too neutral and did not enhance Michael's mother's coloring.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It was an interesting challenge, and it surely did give us a different light on some of the designers, but even more so on Tim, teacher of designers.

As a fat lady, I didn't like Uli's dress. That is exactly the stereotypical ensemble that the fashion industry thinks works on fat ladies, and they have been dishing it out for at least 30 years. Big ugly chunky jewelry & necklaces. A poncho/dashiki kind of top (cover as much of the ugly person up as possible, and again, even having a bright print is stereotypical) and pants, either badly fitting or out of extremely stretchy material so you don't have to worry about how to fit the fat person. The necklace in Uli's case was particularly ugly.

And how can I prove it's a stereotype? Uli's outfit and Kayne's outfit are both takes on this motif. But also, if you have any photo's of your grandmother in a dashiki or muumuu over pants from the 70's or 80's, you can prove it too.

Plus Size Halloween Costume

Robert actually put Patricia in something that she could wear-comfortable, and she liked the colors. And the silhouette was good (as the judges said). I wouldn't even have had him in the bottom 3. I'll miss him!

I liked both Michael's and Vincent's outfits and would have been happy with either winning. And if you go to bravo's web page and look at 'rate the runway' , you'll find that most people had them very close for 2nd or 3rd. Uli's outfit is winning.

I think that you can't underestimate the effect of Michael Kors' mother on the jury, either. They were doing so much of the hi mom and Angela's mom gets it on with Jeffrey stuff that they didn't explain anything about the judging or what if anything Vincent gets for winning. Michael Kors' mom was introduced as a celebrity judge. In the past, the celebrity judge's job (Sasha, Paris Hilton, etc) was to pick the winner. If she hated Uli's dress (and she's old enough to remember the look the Halloween costume is reflecting), then it's a tossup between Michael and Vincent. Furthermore, she grew up in an era when her mother probably wore a shirtwaisit dress every day -that's why the comments about 'matronly' for Michael's dress, or at least for the sash.

From the Sears catalog from the 50's

http://www.honors.umd.edu/HONR269J/projects/petzko/gallery/shirtwaists.gif

If the choice of winner was by discussion, rather than by celebrity judge, it's still 2 out of 3, because can you see Michael Kors ruling against what his mother likes if it's a close call?

What I'm wondering is what the heck Vincent won, since he didn't win immunity. It apparently is some perk connected with the next challenge with the 'jetsetter'.

Any guesses? Or is this something about designing a new uniform for stewardesses?

Last edited:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doris, love your post!!! Very informative.

One of the things I thought about too is the fact that these designers forget or they don't care they're on TV. Even though I like Michael and I hope he goes far, please stop with the foul language. Doesn't he understand that he is representing his mother?? What is wrong with Jeff making those remarks to Angela's mom on TV. He's not going to have any customers if that's the way he treats clients.

Ok for the next challenge I thought it may be designing for the stewards & stewardesses too, what else could it be??

Dee