Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Project Runway season 3

Rinkside
    I don't know if any of you read Tim's Take, but he strongly implied the Angela-Vincent debacle lost A LOT in translation from actuality to TV. Tim says that at first Angela was trying to be really, really helpful and did say nice things about the dress, but Vincent basically told her to stuff it. What we saw on TV was Angela AFTER Vincent refused to let her have anything to do with the dress. Not that it makes her behavior OK, but it's less reprehensible.

Editting has a lot to do with what we see--I remember Tim saying he was surprised by the final episode of PR2, because when he first saw the collections, he was HIGHLY crticial of Chloe and gave her some really strong, Tim-style criticism, and that he loved Daniel's collection from the first. But because they knew the final outcome, all the scenes with Tim being really doubtful about Chloe were editted out, just like the only thing that made the final cut were of Tim being really crticial of Daniel and seeming less-than-impressed.

At first I was really upset that Malan was cut, but the more I watch it the more I agree with the decision. For all those complaining about personality being the driving force to keep Angela, aren't a lot of you complaining about keeping Malan for the very same reason? If it's about design, then Malan SHOULD have gone--his dress was awful, regardless of his what I thought of as a cheap grab for sympathy at the end. You can't say, oh I like this contestant personally so when they keep him it's about design and then turn around and say, I don't like this contestant personally so when they keep him it's about ratings.

My problem with Angela had less to do with how she did (or did not work) with Vincent than with her not complying with the show's instructions. All designers had to present sketches to the "client". She did not. As I said before, if it were work, she would have been fired on the spot.

Thanks for the info on the always-enlightening use of editing.

I don't really disagree with Malan's departure (on twop a lot of people seem to be calling for Angela's head!), because his design had major flaws. But, without the added information about Angela's behavior with Vincent, I really saw her as having few, if any positives to keep her there overall, looking beyond just this design.

Maybe I was just shocked to see a show where the decision really is made based on the competition at hand? :saint: <- I miss my saint icon!

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka
    IAt first I was really upset that Malan was cut, but the more I watch it the more I agree with the decision. For all those complaining about personality being the driving force to keep Angela, aren't a lot of you complaining about keeping Malan for the very same reason? If it's about design, then Malan SHOULD have gone--his dress was awful, regardless of his what I thought of as a cheap grab for sympathy at the end. You can't say, oh I like this contestant personally so when they keep him it's about design and then turn around and say, I don't like this contestant personally so when they keep him it's about ratings.
    Thanks Matryeska for the update on Tim's Take. I need to start reading it. Anyhow, my reasons for booting Angela were twofold. 1. I saw enough of her actions (riding on coattails), 2. She didn't present anything. How she acted with Tara Connor was enough for me.

Malan's design was the most ambious of all the designers. Rusching is not easy to work with to have it lay just the way you want it too. Granted maybe he shouldn't have done the rusching but he did. At least he showed them a design inspite of it not being laid out perfectly.

I still think Angela should have gotten the boot big time and really hard.

Dee

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    Quote Originally Posted by guinevere
    Maybe I was just shocked to see a show where the decision really is made based on the competition at hand? :saint: <- I miss my saint icon!
    It's not, though. The producers decide who stays and goes, which is why in year one, Wendy Pepper made it to the final three even though there were about four shows where she should've been gone, and last year, Santino made it final three, when there were at least three times where he should've been the one gone. I haven't figured out who this year's Wendy/Santino is, but I'm sure it'll become clear soon.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Looks like this year's Santino/Wendy will be Angela or Vincent. Or maybe the idiot with Detroit on his neck, whose name I forget. Both Wendy and Santino provided drama elements. Which is what I bet this year's 3rd person will do/be.

And as to Daniel vs. Chloe.

I wasn't watching the show that closely last year. I know Daniel had recently graduated from a fashion program in NY. Was it possibly at a school that Tim was affiliated with?

And Chloe is strictly self taught-never sketches. That can't go down all that well with Tim...

I've got to start reading the Tim's take stuff.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 07-25-2006 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI
    I wasn't watching the show that closely last year. I know Daniel had recently graduated from a fashion program in NY. Was it possibly at a school that Tim was affiliated with?
    I believe Tim is at Parsons and Daniel is from FIT.

Or maybe the idiot with Detroit on his neck, whose name I forget.
    His name is Jeffrey.

Dee

Dee and Ptichka, thanks for the info! I did read TIm's Take for the first 2 episodes this season, and it was very interesting. I didn't know that existed. Thanks for telling me.

I thought this was an inspiring challenge.

Dee
    Last edited by Dee4707; 07-30-2006 at 09:51 PM.

Loved the challenge and the designs. But I thought the judges were on crack or something (though I do agree with the winner).

First of all, Katherine's design was a hundred times better than Angela's, and significantly better than Vincent's. I do understand that she is not a "top designer" material, but I still thought others should have been out instead. Also, I could not believe that Bradley was in top three over Laura, Kayne and Michael! All of those three had excellent designs to Bradley's very ho-hum one. And I don't know what to make of Keith - he puts out an excellent design, but he refuses to comply with a half of the challenge about designing for the dog. However, if they let Angela get away with not producing a sketch last week, it's only fair that they let Keith get away with it this time.

And - OMG! - that dogs are just TOO CUTE! Especially Laura's doggie, despite the designer's obvious distate for her!

Finally, a note on models competition. I thought it made it more of a competition they way they did it last week, which was also how they had it in season 1, which was that each designer chose a model, starting from the winner. This week they went back to season 2 model, with the winner having an option to switch to the loser's model. IMHO, this process is more random for the models; a bad model with a good-but-not-best designer will go through week after week with better models being eliminated (as Zulema's model went through week after week in seasons 2).
    Last edited by Ptichka; 07-27-2006 at 01:55 AM.

I really enjoyed this episode. It seems like the designers felt more relaxed because of the dogs. I cracked up at Vincent--he was having too much fun!!. I'm glad that Bradley didn't have to go home. His design actually turned out fairly nice, even Vera Wang thought so and NIna did too. A couple of designs that stood out for me were Roberts and Allyson. I think they should have booted both Katherine and Angela. Although Vera Wang said she liked the skirt Angela made, which is probably what saved her AGAIN. I loved Heidi's comments about Angela's design and story.

Dee

Champion Skater (Vicariously)
    This was one of my favorite episodes out of all the seasons. I'm glad bradley didnt have to go home. His dog looked like toto! Was it a Karin terrier?

I think the right decision was made about who should go home, if the dress is not well constructed or has bad sewing/hem ect... that probably does trump poor taste but strong execution. Which is why they sent malan home. His dress would have turned out better with more time... but his hem was inexcusable.

All the dogs were so adorable, I could have watched this episode just for them alone.

It does seem that bad execution is a big bugaboo this season with all 3 designers who've been eliminated so far, execution has been one of the complaints, but Santino surely got away with bad execution on a lot of challenges, including the one where the sleeve fell off. Did they change the rules and I missed it?

I suppose execution's what bailed Vincent out this time-he had good execution, although the dress was so simple, how not. Perhaps the hat was well built? And the dog's polka dot outfit was cute. I thought he would be in the bottom 3 again, but he must have just missed it.

I agree with Ptichka that if Angela can get away with not presenting a sketch and being lame so that she wouldn't be chosen for the riskier team leader job, then Keith can get away without a doggie outfit. But I don't like either of their attitudes.

I liked Katherine's dog hoodie! She should start a line of doggie outfits.

Again, if the choice was between Bradley, Angela and Katherine, I would boot Angela. It looks like Angela wants bubble skirts and weird rosettes on everything.

Does anyone have a clue about what the rules are that the designer who's going to be booted might have violated? We've been hearing about this for 3 weeks now.

On the change in the model comp, this version is probably to the designer's advantage, because they should be much better able to build dresses that fit if they are using the same model.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 07-30-2006 at 09:27 PM.

On the change in the model comp, this version is probably to the designer's advantage, because they should be much better able to build dresses that fit if they are using the same model.
    Even in season 1, most designers stayed with the same models week after week. However, the weaker models were indeed eliminated in the first few weeks.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast