Oksana Baiul on "the fug" | Golden Skate

Oksana Baiul on "the fug"

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
judging by the number of crucifixes she is wearing in thsi picture, she is through "exploring her Jewish heritage". Or was she through once she split with Gene? Just wondering.. got to love people who jump from one religion to another!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
judging by the number of crucifixes she is wearing in thsi picture, she is through "exploring her Jewish heritage". Or was she through once she split with Gene? Just wondering.. got to love people who jump from one religion to another!
I never bought the Jewish thing for Baiul. I think it was just a phase, and I'm glad it's over (it just bugs me when people profess a religion for wrong reasons).

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
ITA, Ptichka. I think she was into exploring her Jewish roots because Gene is Jewish.

On the other hand, she did pick a Jewish orphan charity in Ukraine to support. I hope she is still involved with them.

Walter from Big Lebowski is an exception :)

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Zuranthium said:
She is only 28 years old.....

Call me old fashioned... I think minis are inappropriate for most. Not I'm a prude, I just think its hard to look polished in a mini.

Jhar55

Medalist
Hum maybe I was looking at the wrong picture but I see nothing wrong with the shorts and t-shirt

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Longhornliz said:
Call me old fashioned....

You're old fashioned.

There is little need to look "polished" if you're going to a bar. No doubt where Oksana was headed.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
I never bought the Jewish thing for Baiul. I think it was just a phase, and I'm glad it's over (it just bugs me when people profess a religion for wrong reasons).

Whether or not she observes the religion, she is a Jew. But old habits die hard.

Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, who found out she is Jewish 10 years ago, said in a recent interview in the New York Times that she still views her religion at Catholic, the faith she was brought up in. But she is proud of her Jewish heritage. I think the quote was 'you can't switch after a lifetime.'

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Longhornliz said:
Call me old fashioned... I think minis are inappropriate for most. Not I'm a prude, I just think its hard to look polished in a mini.

Especially when getting out of a car. Which I wish someone would explain to this woman who lives in the building next door to mine (who seems to have the World's largest mini-skirt collection and every single one is ugly) -- every now and then she parks in front of my window and gets out of the minivan and -- well, I don't really care to see what is seen in the course of that process. :eek:

That being said, other than that aspect of it, I don't have a huge problem with the mini in general -- AS LONG AS ONE HAS THE LEGS FOR IT. If coordinated with the right top, jacket, shoes, etc, it can look pretty cute on a lot of women. As long as they remain in a standing position......:sheesh:

And anyway, I'm not sure how many young women wish to look "polished" anymore; I mean, have you SEEN the tabloid pictures lately??

76olympics

On the Ice
I would be interested to know if Oksana comes across differently to Russian speakers. She has always seemed very dizzy with a large dash of drama to me. I always felt some of that impression was due to the fact that English was not her first language and she was not as expressive. She seemed to search for words a good bit when she spoke. When she would comment in the kiss and cry after some of her odder pro perfomances, I would always be :eek:hwell:

JonnyCoop said:
Especially when getting out of a car...
When I was in high school they had some little movies to teach us about etiquette and social graces. One of them told the girls to always flutter their eyelashes at their date when they got out of a car.

The purpose of this was to draw attention to your face and away from your legs, which were necessarily in an awkward position for a few seconds.

MM :cool:

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Far as I'm concerned, Oksana Baiul can wear whatever she likes....:love:
Ditto for Brooke Burke...:love:
Is Madonna still Jewish, or was that last week.....;)

Pixie Cut said:
Whether or not she observes the religion, she is a Jew. But old habits die hard.

Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, who found out she is Jewish 10 years ago, said in a recent interview in the New York Times that she still views her religion at Catholic, the faith she was brought up in. But she is proud of her Jewish heritage. I think the quote was 'you can't switch after a lifetime.'
And Elizabeth Taylor is still English/Irish despite her conversion to the Hebraic religion.

Joe

IDLERACER

Medalist
STL_Blues_fan said:
judging by the number of crucifixes she is wearing in thsi picture, she is through "exploring her Jewish heritage".
Actually, they go good with the shirt. Definitely a "goth" thing.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
And Elizabeth Taylor is still English/Irish despite her conversion to the Hebraic religion.

That conversion seemed to have ebbed away over the years.

You can't compare Oksana with Liz or Madonna. Judaism is in her blood. It's not driven by fad or current husband. It just is whether she embraces it or not.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
YIPE!!!!!

Then again, we are not talking about a lady who has ever shown much of a natural affinity for properly applying cosmetics anyway.

It's a shame, actually, the dress looks nice, hair looks good; except for that blatantly orange face, she actually looks pretty good.

Jennifer Lyon

On the Ice
STL_Blues_fan said:

Oksana has expressed a belief in God in many interviews over the years. During her eligible career, she used to cross herself before she competed. I don't know if she ever officially belonged to any particular church, though.

She didn't know anything about her Jewish heritage until a few years ago, when she was reunited with her father. Oksana was engaged to Gene at the time, and her father informed her that her mother's mother was Jewish. So it's not as if Oksana decided to jump on the celebrity Kabbalah bandwagon, a la Madonna. Most people are interested in their heritage, especially when they've just learned something about a family member that they did not know before. At the same time, if Oksana was Christian for so many years, I wouldn't expect her (or anyone else in her situation) to entirely abandon her old beliefs.