If Michelle doesn't compete... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

If Michelle doesn't compete...

So much speculation about MK and what she will do after she hangs up the skates!!! Even those that don't like her wont let her go quietly into the night.

No other skater has ever produced more emotional feelings than Michelle Kwan!

Michelle LIVES even in retirement. tara who? irina who? sasha who? sarah who? peggy who?

And she does it without any diary, any intentional PR; any gossip. Not unlike Johnny Depp. Just a true star.

Joe

tully

Rinkside
yes she's bordering on what i would call a "transcendant" athlete...one who transcends the sport, like Michael Jordan or Muhammad Ali (Ali is a stretch but you get my point). I don't imagine anyone else winnng that many nats, worlds, two oly medals (and a lock to win a 3rd if she'd stayed healthy...at least she would have forced a 3/3 from Shiz, but i digress)

as far as broadcasting, i'd really prefer somebody who is "wonkish" about edges/technique, CoP, etc...somebody i could learn from (or be reminded of things). maybe even give them a John Madden telestrator. And someone who doesnt hold back. Lets have some fireworks in the booth.

Nancy can be wonkish at times and i like that about her

my fear is michelle has been disneyfied too much (both figuratively and literally!) to convey anything with a more critical eye. (sorry, that may be harsh for my first post)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
"my fear is michelle has been disneyfied too much (both figuratively and literally!) to convey anything with a more critical eye. (sorry, that may be harsh for my first post)[/QUOTE]

Over the years I have heard MK described a lot of ways some good and some not so good but this is the first time I 've heard her described as being disneyfied. Sorry but I disagree. We really do not know how good of a commentator she would be but given her past work ethic, if and this is a big if she was interested I am sure she could handle it. I don't think her association with Disney has anything to do with her being able to call a competition (critical eye) as she sees it without sugar coating.

Welcome to the forum.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
..... it's OK! ;)
What! :eek: but I say something and...:sheesh: J/K:laugh: really, I am just kidding!:biggrin: :agree:

So I was really hoping to be seeing her in Denver going to school with the Beau, did I miss that she dicided not to?

tully

Rinkside
demarinis5 said:
Over the years I have heard MK described a lot of ways some good and some not so good but this is the first time I 've heard her described as being disneyfied.
maybe milquetoast would be a better word than disneyfied. but i'll agree we have no idea what she'd be like in the booth...being out of competition might really unleash her in the booth. Especially with so many of her contemporaries drifting off now...she wouldn't have to worry about causing animosities with skaters she was friendly with

JMO, but i'd prefer to see her break association with disney...there's something just wrong about a 26-year old photo-opping with mickey mouse. (Just an aside, remember nancy getting caught on audio in the parade with micky, calling it "the lamest thing i've ever done" :rofl: At least she recognized it, and at 4 years younger at the time than kwan is now)

Eeyora

Final Flight
Well Sasha doesn't have the best voice and she can break into acting! Nancy Kerrigan's voice painful and she has done commentating and now reports for the insider.

tully said:
JMO, but i'd prefer to see her break association with disney...there's something just wrong about a 26-year old photo-opping with mickey mouse. (Just an aside, remember nancy getting caught on audio in the parade with micky, calling it "the lamest thing i've ever done" :rofl: At least she recognized it, and at 4 years younger at the time than kwan is now)
When was the last time you saw Michelle in an ad, in a parade as a spokesperson for Disney. Its been years that I've seen her in a Disney promo.

Joe

tully said:
(Just an aside, remember nancy getting caught on audio in the parade with micky, calling it "the lamest thing i've ever done" :rofl: )
Poor Nancy. She dissed The Mouse. Disney takes a dim view of dissing The Mouse. Especially since they were paying Nancy $2,000,000 at the time not to diss The Mouse. That was the last major commercial endorsement Nancy ever got.

Here's the "second corniest thing Nancy ever did":

http://www.figure-skating.com/Skaters/Kerrigan/Images/Sesameplace.jpg.

Michelle credits Nancy and Oksana Baiul with teaching her all about makeup when they toured together in COI in 1994. Michelle came out with Salome the next year, and the rest is history... :)

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Joesitz said:
When was the last time you saw Michelle in an ad, in a parade as a spokesperson for Disney. Its been years that I've seen her in a Disney promo.

Joe

Exactly. Disney is smart. As they continue to endorse Michelle, she will have a different role than she did in her younger years. There was a recent article on their relationship going around a few months back that spoke of her new duties. Here is a link to Heather's website that sums up what Michelle's involvement with Walt Disney:

http://heatherw.com/mk/endorse/disneyco.htm

Michelle will be a representative for a number of Disney products and services, including its theme parks, restaurants, cruise lines and hotels, as well as movies, television and radio. She will work with divisions throughout Disney.

about their decision to resign Michelle even without OG or participation in the 2006 Olympics:

"We were planning this with (Kwan) regardless," Green said. "She's an icon ... She's got the charisma, the pizzazz, the enthusiasm and the international appeal we love. We saw her as the ideal celebrity spokesperson for us irrespective of how she would have performed in the Olympics this time....Michelle exemplifies beauty, wholesomeness, grace and charm in addition to her athletic talent. These wonderful qualities and her outstanding sense of sportsmanship were especially evident at last month's Olympics. We know a champion isn't made by the medals, rewards and plaques but by the sense of character that Michelle truly has. She is clearly a role model for kids, young adults and parents alike. "
:love:

Last edited:
Disney's statements on Michelle - charisma, pizzazz, and loveable enthusiasm and interntonal appeal and all that beauty, wholesomeness, grace and charm- so true!

What actress would not love to have that position?

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I dunno...can't see her saying much more than "She was good out there tonight"...:laugh: or maybe more in-depth like "I think this competition will give her more experience"...ok, I'm having too much fun here...

all commentators start out that way though... some of it always carryies through... Peggy is never 100% witty... and Dick Button just talks non-stop about nothing through many routines...

Scott Hamilton has the same catch phrases he used in his beginning days of commentary in the mid 80s...

and yet they've gone on to have very successful careers... you don't learn it over night... that I wouldn't have a problem with Michelle doing... as long as she ennunciated lol

her voice does not annoy me in the slightest... now Roz Sumners on the other hand...