Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Layback spins

Quote Originally Posted by passion
    Correct me if I'm wrong, you don't bend at the waist because that causes you to stick out your tummy. The bend occurs at the hips as you push your hips forward.

Also, I think the layback position depends on the technique you're taught as well. For instance, my coach taught me to push the hips forward. The effect of this is that the thigh is close to the skating leg. So, how does Sasha and Alissa get the free leg so high?
    Oops, you are correct. The attitude position comes in an arc in the upper back .
    Sasha and Alyssa more than likely pacticed a lot of attitude turns off skates. Check out the 'Rose Adagio' from the Sleeping Beauty to see attitude turns. Skating takes it further and adds a layback to it.

Joe

Banned
    Angela Nikodinov, IMHO, has the best layback ever. Alissa Czissny's in probably my second favorite, followed by Irina Slutskata. Irina has more of a bent leg position, but it is still turned out nicely and held parallel to the ice, with a good back position.

I should be studying!
    I do like Hamil's layback. In the tape I have of her performance (Magic Memories on Ice), at the end of the spin, she places one finger in the air at the axis of the spin for several revolutions. Such control in a position of such grace!

Skater Girl
    Sarah, Angela and Sasha's laybacks are the best. Everyone else makes me cringe, pretty much. Angela's would have been even better had she held the position longer, and Alissa's quick spinning doesn't really allow us to get the full 'wow' of her position IMO.

On the Ice
    Oh I agree with your top ten list! Angela Nikodinov, Sasha Cohen, Sarah Hughes......all "classic" layback positions. I think Yuka Sato had a nice layback if I remember correctly.

I really can't stand any other variation.....it just doesn't look pretty, IMO.

I have to give another shout out to Angela... she was stunning I miss her skating :(

I'm not a fan of Irina's 'layback' and all... and I don't like Michelle Kwan's variation...

Does Angela have plans to come back? I know she's been coaching, but she never really closed the door on her competitive career.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    For comparison, here's Sasha:

Sasha

MM
    Hey Mathman, that picture of Sasha from "Swan Lake" was NOT of a layback but of a transitional element, part of her choreo. Sasha's back position tends to be lower when she does her layback spins.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar

Rinkside
    I don't really think that you can call Michelle Kwan one of the worst... Is this including every lady on the senior circuit? It's not her strongest element, but I think that she's improved over the years and agree that her arm positions make her limited hip flexibility forgivable.

I do agree with all of the top ten... I've also always liked Irina's layback positions... I'm too lazy to search for pictures right now
    Last edited by Turandot; 07-20-2006 at 05:48 AM.

Skater Girl
    Sasha doesn't do the Sasha Curl anymore - her back problems probably prevent it. The pic MM posted was right after she dropped her leg from a Biellmann spiral in her Swan Lake LP.

I think pretty much anyone outside the ladies we've mentioned--Sasha, Angela, Sarah, Alissa--have "okay" to downright horrible laybacks. A lot of skaters just don't seem to have good ones! It's odd. I'm learning how to do mine and not having much of a problem with it (I have mucho back flexibility and have done ballet before, though, maybe that's why but I do think once I get the freakin' spin down, it'll be a very nice one!).

Rinkside
    i love sasha, sarah, and yunita ota's.

Thanks for joining us, Veritaserum. Welcome!

Mathman

Banned
    I don't like Sasha's, it doesn't have a nice arch to it. She has a very deep bend from the lower back, but the rest of her back is so flat. I don't think it looks pretty like that.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Any chance you could post photos of some that you consider arched and pretty, dancindiva?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast