Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Layback spins

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver
    Any chance you could post photos of some that you consider arched and pretty, dancindiva?
    I get what she's saying, sort of. I personally prefer laybacks to looks soft and classical like Angela's or Sarah's and that Sasha's seems to extreme (for lack of better wording). BUT as with all Sasha's spins, she is amazing, one of the best, so I won't say I don't like Sasha's layback. I like her variations more than the traditional position itself (and I'm not too crazed about her dropped leg variation.)

I like laybacks like this, although I used to complain about Sarah's hands:
    http://www.dianesrink.com/sarah/gall...2natsttsp1.jpg
    I think she looks soft with her leg, hip and back, not over the top, showing off her flexibility.

As for Sasha, I loved the variations she did last season to Nutcracker, with the dropped leg and then she sort of dropped one hand behind her back and the other went up, not sure what that was, and of course, her catch foot was very nice. Alissa can be extreme as well, but I think her traditional layback doesn't look as sharp (for lack of better word, again!) as Sasha's does. BUT this is just IMO, and like I said before, I still think Sasha's among the best spinners, no matter what position she is doing.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Laugh all you want about Rudy, but one of my favorite laybacks is done by Rohene Ward

http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/r...ids/ward-1.jpg

He starts in this position and then does the sideways layback.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI
    Laugh all you want about Rudy, but one of my favorite laybacks is done by Rohene Ward

Yes, he has a pretty one! Super bendy.

Skating Freak Barbie
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI

After seeing your clips of Rohene at the Liberty Open, I was just coming to this thread to mention Rohene! WOW!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver
    Any chance you could post photos of some that you consider arched and pretty, dancindiva?
    I don't have any pictures saved right now, but when I have more time I will try to find some. But look at Angela Nikodinov's layback spins, the back has more of a continuous curve to it, not just one sudden bend and then flat like Sasha has. That's what I'm talking about.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Well, the first one (blue) doesn't stand out from Sasha's for me. Her back looks "flat," to use dancindiva's word. But in the second one (White), she's less flat and more arched and has the most exquisite head tilt and arm positions - she's a perfect ice ballerina!

ETA: Thanks, MM!
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 07-21-2006 at 11:51 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Getting my tiffin' poodle perm at Peaches Beauty Salon during FSU downtime
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kristi Yamaguchi, I've always thought that she had one of the best layback spins in ladies competition.

Custom Title
    I agree, Michael, I immediately thought of Kristi when I saw this thread.

Kristi's layback was very pretty, although not quite as technically perfect as Angela's or Peggy's. Also, as I recall, Kristi was one of the first skaters in the pre-COP era to do the catch-foot layback spin, in which she brought her free skate up to her head. This variation looked fresh at the time (although it's since become a bit overused).

Laybacks are interesting. Very few ladies actually have good laybacks. Even some of the best women skaters, such as Michelle Kwan and Yuka Sato, don't do this spin very well. It makes you appreciate a great layback even more when you see one.

Custom Title
    Did Kristi do more of a side catch like AP would do, or was it more the catch we see in just about every COP layback now?

Custom Title
    Yes, it was a side-catch layback, like AP's.

Custom Title
    Kristi's layback:
    http://www.gg.caltech.edu/~jeff/images/k_yamaguchi.jpg

Can't find pictures of the side catch though!

Rinkside
    I was looking at the COP guide on the isu.org website and there is something called a flying layback spin. What exactly is this and do any skaters do it? Also, please forgive my ignorance but what is the "Sasha curl" and the "Sasha Spin?"

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by TangyTart
    I was looking at the COP guide on the isu.org website and there is something called a flying layback spin. What exactly is this and do any skaters do it? Also, please forgive my ignorance but what is the "Sasha curl" and the "Sasha Spin?"
    I believe a female Korean junior skater last season (NOT Yu-Na Kim) did flying layback spin. (Her name escapes me at the moment. Bit-Na? Can't remember, sorry.) She flies just like regular flying camel, but she lands in upright position with her free leg bent like layback. Then she lowers her back, and does layback spin. It's very cool but according to last CoP it was rewarded at the same level as flying camel spin.

Sasha curl is where a skater puts free leg bent and up, then lays her back and extends her arms.
    http://www.sashafans.com/media/galle...henjensen3.jpg
    http://www.sashafans.com/media/galle...ng/adams-1.jpg
    Kristi Yamaguchi also did this element in her competitive programs.

Sasha Spin? Which one? Beaver Cleaver, aka I-Spin and front catch spin? Or her layback spin? Her classic position is unique because she gets extreme back arch, making hers stand out. (Only pet peeve would be it takes her few rotations to get to that position.) Her layback spin is spectacular, but I didin't like catchfoot and biellman variation she added to it. (Gotta blame CoP, she just wanted more points.)

Custom Title
    When Sasha first made her debut, I think to generate interest and excitement in a previously unknown skater, Nicks encouraged all this naming elements after Sasha. There was an article prior to 2000 Nationals in which they discuss Sasha coming up with "new" elements.

The "Sasha Curl"-NNN used to do one too, way back in 1999 or so. I think Kristi made it popular, as a attitude position, then NNN and Sasha took it further, with more flexibility.

I'm pretty sure Sasha and Nicks named the I-spin/side catch foot spin that Sasha does in just about every program, the "Sasha spin" but there have been other skaters to do this before her. The fans nicknamed it the "Beaver Cleaver."

Other names that Sasha/Nicks gave elements is the "Sasha Spiral''-the Maribel Vinson Owen spiral aka the fan spiral. And the "Sasha Skid"- when she goes from a fan spiral to a catch foot and changes direction. I have no idea if anyone did that particular variation before Sasha, but others have done spiral slide moves where they change direction and keep on traveling. Sasha's became known as a "skid" because like the hockey move, she changes direction and basically comes to a stop.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast