Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Watching Skating On Youtube - May Become Expensive

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

News Watching Skating On Youtube - May Become Expensive

My husband just heard that Youtube may start charging for viewing videos. Up until now it has been a free internet service. They may even start running ads to frey costs. Oh darn!!!!!

Custom Title
    Well, now that they have everyone hooked, they can begin charging a fee because most skating fans won't want to give up the pleasure they get from watching their favorites. Kind of like the cable companies giving you 3 free months of the premium channels so they can hook you and you will continue to recieve them and now pay for them. It is a marketing game---and it works.

Ladybug

Custom Title
    That would annoy me intensely. A lot of the really old videos on youtube are clips that I made from my own collection. I haven't got a problem with others uploading them but why should I pay to watch my own clips?

Besides you can all get them for free at fsvids to download and keep forever.

Well rinkside is still free...get all the vids you want.

Down With It
    I thought rinkside was down or something. It stopped working a while back I think...(then I stopped using it)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    I thought rinkside was down or something. It stopped working a while back I think...(then I stopped using it)
    Its working fine for me.

I wonder if GS could grab on to this some how. Film Recasts of Skating. Run some Advertisements on the side and take 10% and give the rest to - well I know who I would want it to got to, but it would most likely be the networks - have the ads from the networks??? Probably have to keep the hand out of that to be safe though. Run the same disclaimer that YouTube did. Maybe join "forces" with Rinkside or expand the T.T Arena. ???? trying to be discrete.

This also reminds me of the idea for downloading routines on a pay per download. I know the whole thing here is "free" is better. But say, 10 cents for a SP and 50 cents for an LP. And if you wanted one with no commentators pay a buck? Ah, just a wish. Not likely. Probably have to be more money with some due to the Music and the rights there in. Some of the music is royalty free though...pipe dream SeaniBu.

Personally with all the "types of people" that were associated with placing vids there, it was something FS was better off finding it's "own home" IMO. "Blade on Ice Sports Only Videos." That I would like. JAT. It was inevitable with YouTube anyway, the advertisements were slim to none. Pretty much new that was going to happen.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 07-16-2006 at 08:22 PM.

Banned
    I would be very wrong to make it a pay site. Youtube works so well because anybody can get on and view it.

If they have to start running advertisements before videos and on the site, fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuranthium
    If they have to start running advertisements before videos and on the site, fine.
    That's so true , I never understood why they didn't - glad they didn't but wondered how they pay the bills?

Custom Title
    I'm no expect in Internet revenue, but I always wondered how You Tube supported itself.

I guess I suspected they might eventually allow promotion of a new TV series or movie on its site. You know, log onto You Tube, watch a trailer for a hip new series, preview next week's episode of "show of the week," or the upcoming hot movie.

Who knows. Brighter minds than mine are surely working on a strategy to generate a long term, steady revenue without losing users.

Thanks for joining us, Just Wondering. Welcome to the forum.

Mathman

Rinkside

rink side

can someone pls post the website for rinkside thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skate expert
    can someone pls post the website for rinkside thanks
    http://www.rinkside.org/forum/index.php
    I hope I am not violating. They don't have much activity as far as I can tell so far.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I was reading my video message board and ran across this. Thought it was interesting.

Youtube being Sued

Dee

I've been wondering for a while when YouTube would start charging, and I've been amazed at the obviously copyrighted material that's available.

I imagine that their popularity would nosedive if they started charging for everything - perhaps they can charge for their membership (do they already do this?), and certain popular (and copyrighted) videos would be restricted to members, but homemade videos could still be available to everyone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast