Watching Skating On Youtube - May Become Expensive | Golden Skate

Watching Skating On Youtube - May Become Expensive

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
My husband just heard that Youtube may start charging for viewing videos. Up until now it has been a free internet service. They may even start running ads to frey costs. Oh darn!!!!!

ladybug

On the Ice
Well, now that they have everyone hooked, they can begin charging a fee because most skating fans won't want to give up the pleasure they get from watching their favorites. Kind of like the cable companies giving you 3 free months of the premium channels so they can hook you and you will continue to recieve them and now pay for them. It is a marketing game---and it works.

Ladybug

floskate

On the Ice
That would annoy me intensely. A lot of the really old videos on youtube are clips that I made from my own collection. I haven't got a problem with others uploading them but why should I pay to watch my own clips?

Besides you can all get them for free at fsvids to download and keep forever. ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I thought rinkside was down or something. It stopped working a while back I think...(then I stopped using it)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I wonder if GS could grab on to this some how. Film Recasts of Skating. Run some Advertisements on the side and take 10% and give the rest to - well I know who I would want it to got to, but it would most likely be the networks - have the ads from the networks??? Probably have to keep the hand out of that to be safe though. Run the same disclaimer that YouTube did. Maybe join "forces" with Rinkside or expand the T.T Arena. ???? trying to be discrete.

This also reminds me of the idea for downloading routines on a pay per download. I know the whole thing here is "free" is better. But say, 10 cents for a SP and 50 cents for an LP. And if you wanted one with no commentators pay a buck? Ah, just a wish. Not likely. Probably have to be more money with some due to the Music and the rights there in. Some of the music is royalty free though...pipe dream SeaniBu.

Personally with all the "types of people" that were associated with placing vids there, it was something FS was better off finding it's "own home" IMO. "Blade on Ice Sports Only Videos." That I would like. JAT.:biggrin: It was inevitable with YouTube anyway, the advertisements were slim to none. Pretty much new that was going to happen.

Last edited:

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I would be very wrong to make it a pay site. Youtube works so well because anybody can get on and view it.

If they have to start running advertisements before videos and on the site, fine.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Zuranthium said:
If they have to start running advertisements before videos and on the site, fine.

That's so true:agree: , I never understood why they didn't - glad they didn't but wondered how they pay the bills?

just wondering

On the Ice
I'm no expect in Internet revenue, but I always wondered how You Tube supported itself.

I guess I suspected they might eventually allow promotion of a new TV series or movie on its site. You know, log onto You Tube, watch a trailer for a hip new series, preview next week's episode of "show of the week," or the upcoming hot movie.

Who knows. Brighter minds than mine are surely working on a strategy to generate a long term, steady revenue without losing users.:)

guinevere

Final Flight
I've been wondering for a while when YouTube would start charging, and I've been amazed at the obviously copyrighted material that's available.

I imagine that their popularity would nosedive if they started charging for everything - perhaps they can charge for their membership (do they already do this?), and certain popular (and copyrighted) videos would be restricted to members, but homemade videos could still be available to everyone?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I Love FSVIDS

FSVIDS LINK

YouTube much less so, so I won't miss it.

And floskate, you'd think that someone would ask before they upload your videos, but I just had some rude twit upload 10 of Ski's films of Liberty without asking. No politeness anywhere.

But with the copyright crap going on over at YouTube, anyone that might be looking for infringement would go right there.

I'd rather not see my stuff on youtube.

Doris P.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
DORISPULASKI said:
FSVIDS LINK

YouTube much less so, so I won't miss it.

And floskate, you'd think that someone would ask before they upload your videos, but I just had some rude twit upload 10 of Ski's films of Liberty without asking. No politeness anywhere.
I was at FSVIDS today and saw where my Johnny on Kathy Griffin Show was posted over there. I think I would feel OK about it if they would have asked to post it. Why I am not real upset is they did give me credit for doing it.
Doris P. said:
I'd rather not see my stuff on youtube. Doris P.
I agree Doris, I am not a real Youtube person. The quality leavs a lot to be desired.

Dee

PS It's great seeing you posting again. :agree: :agree:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The quality may leave something to be desired at YouTube BUT I have found some stuff there that I don't think I could have seen any other way. There is some great old Motown clips there. Berry Gordy will probably be knocking on my door any minute with his hand out.:biggrin:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Suggestion, all of the posters of YouTube that have skating vids, let's ask then to join us at GS. FSvids and rinkside are cool too - thanks Doris for info on where the "goodies" are - but an outlet that I don't have to put up with sleaze, fighting between teen, requests to subscribe that are nothing more than fishing and the iditological way of voting they have would be a great thing to let go away.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Why do I think that YouTube will eventually go the way of Napster? It's essentially the same thing but with video files rather than audio files...better enjoy it while it lasts...